Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:39:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-06-28 WSJ.com - MtGox Appears to Register with FinCEN  (Read 4916 times)
sttroon (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 10:35:20 PM

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323873904578574000957464468.html

WASHINGTON—The world's largest bitcoin trading exchange appears to have taken a key step to comply with U.S. anti-money-laundering rules and potentially avoid additional run-ins with authorities.

A company listed as Mt. Gox this week registered as a money services business with the Treasury Department's Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, according to FinCen's website. Tokyo-based Mt. Gox, which says it handles about 80% of all trading in the virtual currency, couldn't immediately be reached for comment.

FinCen in March started applying traditional money-laundering rules to "virtual currencies" amid growing concern that new forms of digital cash are being used for illicit activities. Those rules mandate that exchanges register with FinCen, follow stricter bookkeeping requirements and report transactions of more than $10,000.

About a month after the edict, the Department of Homeland Security seized an account tied to Mt. Gox, alleging the company and a subsidiary were conducting transactions "as part of an unlicensed money service business."

According to FinCen's website, the agency received Mt. Gox's registration on Thursday. The online form listed a street in Dover, Del., as the company's address.
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:51:23 PM

MSB Registration Status Information

Date: 06/28/2013

MSB Registration Number: 31000029348132
Registration Type: Initial Registration
Legal Name: MtGox Inc
DBA Name:
Street Address: 615 S Dupont Hwy
City: Dover
State: DELAWARE
Zip: 19901

MSB Activities:
Money transmitter, Other

States of MSB Activities:
Alabama, Alaska, American Samoa, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District Of Columbia,
Federated States Of Micronesia, Florida, Georgia, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas,
Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Marshall Islands, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri,
Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Northern Mariana Islands,
Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Palau, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virgin Islands, US, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
All States & Territories & Foreign Flag: All States/Territories

Number of Branches:

Authorized Signature Date: 06/26/2013

Received Date: 06/27/2013

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

deadweasel

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 12:01:37 AM

MSB Registration Status Information

Date: 06/28/2013

MSB Registration Number: 31000029348132
Registration Type: Initial Registration
Legal Name: MtGox Inc
DBA Name:
Street Address: 615 S Dupont Hwy
City: Dover
State: DELAWARE
Zip: 19901

MSB Activities:
Money transmitter, Other

States of MSB Activities:
Alabama, Alaska, American Samoa, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District Of Columbia,
Federated States Of Micronesia, Florida, Georgia, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas,
Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Marshall Islands, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri,
Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Northern Mariana Islands,
Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Palau, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virgin Islands, US, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
All States & Territories & Foreign Flag: All States/Territories

Number of Branches:

Authorized Signature Date: 06/26/2013

Received Date: 06/27/2013

Cheesy

samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1070

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 12:04:43 AM

This is good news
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 12:06:59 AM

yay
ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 12:09:31 AM

nice but I don't trade on their site anymore.
 Embarrassed

vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 12:11:08 AM

How did we hear this first from a mainstream outlet?
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1070

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 12:19:01 AM

Because MtGox PR doesn't exist - they should have announced this everywhere.
vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 12:28:39 AM

man, every move in Bitcoin is scrutinized. I bet eventually journalists will be the next sizeable demographic that hop on board the gravy train Smiley
No_2

Activity: 901
Merit: 1033

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 12:52:40 AM

I agree, although their PR does seem to be getting better. Perhaps they will centralise their communicators more when they relaunch other services next month.
jackthebeanstalk

Activity: 52

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 12:57:21 AM

Good, at least I can start withdrawing and depositing into Mtgox without the worries that my money will be confiscated.
Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 01:04:26 AM

Good, at least I can start withdrawing and depositing into Mtgox without the worries that my money will be confiscated.

There's no guarantee of that. Fincen is an arbitrary authority and could hit Mtgox with an imagined infraction.
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 01:28:20 AM

"According to FinCen's website, the agency received Mt. Gox's registration on Thursday" where the WSJ conveniently found it in time to publicize it on Friday.

A government agency receives an application and publicizes it on its website on the same day or within a day? Hmmn.

Gox may not yet have been told their registration has been approved. Come to think of it - the story doesn't actually say it has been approved. Is approval necessary? I assume Gox has to get some kind of response before they can breathe any easier.

vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 01:40:41 AM

"According to FinCen's website, the agency received Mt. Gox's registration on Thursday" where the WSJ conveniently found it in time to publicize it on Friday.

A government agency receives an application and publicizes it on its website on the same day or within a day? Hmmn.

Gox may not yet have been told their registration has been approved. Come to think of it - the story doesn't actually say it has been approved. Is approval necessary? I assume Gox has to get some kind of response before they can breathe any easier.

Is registering the same thing as applying?

edit: nope, found my answer

FinCEN doesn't approve registrants. It processes the registration and enters them into a database.
PirateAt40 could register as an MSB and they would still list it.
What registering does is express intention to comply with the regulations.
aigeezer
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 01:47:57 AM

I don't know how it works. I would guess you are not registered until you get some paper back from FinCen. Otherwise companies could just say they had sent in their registration and it must have gotten lost in the mail.

bitcoinstarter

Activity: 484
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 02:06:58 AM

That was getting sketchy!
aigeezer
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 02:11:40 AM

edit: nope, found my answer

FinCEN doesn't approve registrants. It processes the registration and enters them into a database.
PirateAt40 could register as an MSB and they would still list it.
What registering does is express intention to comply with the regulations.

Wow - so if it really does get lost in the mail it gets messy? "He said, she said".

I'm still wondering how an incoming registration makes it to a government website so quickly. That's not any government service I've ever seen.       Smiley
bitdigger2013

Activity: 397

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 03:48:42 AM

From FinCEN website:

The inclusion of a business on the MSB Registrant Search Web page is not a recommendation,
certification of legitimacy, or endorsement of the business by any government agency.

The MSB Registrant Search Web page, which is updated on a weekly basis, contains entities that have registered as Money Services Businesses (MSBs) pursuant to the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) regulations at 31 CFR 1022.380(a)-(f), administered by the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN).

Information contained on this site has been provided by the MSB registrant. FinCEN does not verify information submitted by the MSB. Information provided on this site reflects only what was provided directly to FinCEN. If an error or incomplete information is detected on this site, the registrant should follow the appropriate instructions for correcting a Registration of Money Services Business (RMSB) form.
Book

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 06:39:35 AM

Mt Gox looks like it's turning into the bitcoin equivalent of paypal. Soon there will be random uncalled for account limitations too. I will probably be using trusted exchangers on forums like this one. I hope a good unregulated exchange site emerges soon, one completely out of reach of US law enforcement so people can just do their trades without extended verification.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 08:20:05 AM

so more of our money flows to the parasites.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: