Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 04:57:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RX580 eth hashing question  (Read 176 times)
Lycanthian (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 10:46:36 PM

I try to research as much as I can before posting silly questions, and I have an idea of what the answer might be but here it goes anyway.

What I've got going so far:

• MSI RX 580 8 GB w/ hynix memory w/ stock settings GPU @ 1380 mhz, memory @ 2000mhz
  • Running windows 10 pro updated to latest version
  • Using genoil ethminer version 0.12.0
  • Mining on nanopool
  • Using blockchain drivers from Aug 23, 2017 (version 17.30.1029)
  • Card has an average power draw of 128w and runs around 60c

Start.bat set up in the following manner:

setx GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
setx GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100

ethminer.exe --opencl-platform 1 --farm-recheck 200 -G -S eth-us-west1.nanopool.org:9999 -FS eth-us-east1.nanopool.org:9999 -O mywalletaddresshere

As soon as I set all my windows performance options, disabled windows update, etc. I installed the latest drivers and my jaw hit the floor when I saw that I was only getting slightly over 18 mh/s mining ethereum.
I looked into the matter and ended up downloading the latest blockchain drivers and was a little relieved to see nearly 22 mh/s after installing those. I spent around 4 hours last night learning how to properly bios mod the card but I have yet to do that.

Is that the next logical step? Hit the bios and then start playing with timings and voltages or is there something I should try in between that I'm missing?
ahmedjamal1998

Activity: 728
Merit: 537

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2017, 11:00:07 PM

Is that the next logical step? Hit the bios and then start playing with timings and voltages or is there something I should try in between that I'm missing?

Your next thing is to bios mod the cards PROPERLY (which means don't forget to backup the original firmware first) and then you need to overclock the card.

There's a lot of programs used in overclocking but I prefer using msi afterburner. I own Nvidia cards so I'm not sure how much the overclock is to be set to but google will help you a lot in that matter.

I try to research as much as I can before posting silly questions, and I have an idea of what the answer might be but here it goes anyway.
You're one of the few who don't shower the forum daily with useless and obvious questions which just need a simple google search. Thank you   Smiley
wacko
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 11:29:49 PM

There's a lot of programs used in overclocking but I prefer using msi afterburner. I own Nvidia cards so I'm not sure how much the overclock is to be set to but google will help you a lot in that matter.
MSI AB is no good for AMD cards. Just not enough range for the voltage, and it's simply not as convenient as something like overdriventool.
Lycanthian (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 07:30:08 AM

I backed up my original bios and after some more digging around found a custom bios from several months back from BBT so I went ahead and loaded that bad boy up and went from just shy of 22 up to 27.9 / 28 mh/s. I may look for some additional tweaks here or there. My average power draw dropped a whole 20w and it is running 1 degree c cooler. I'm not too sure how much better I can really expect out of it so I may just let it be. It looks like the GPU clock was lowered to 1200 from 1380 and the memory was bumped up to 2100 from 2000. Fun!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: