Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:23:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Virus change crypto address  (Read 884 times)
gigaxoft (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 02:46:35 AM

Sorry for my bad english

I was about to transfer some ETH to Exodus Wallet, copied and pasted the address on Coinbase press ok then was waiting, a lil bit later, i have made the same for LiteCoins, then checked and coinbase said: Transfer completed!....
What I saw, no money on exodus, and see that when I copy the address on paste it changes, for ETH, BTC, LTC, no other coins... the address that change are:

BTC 1GxgDFyy3H5br8AtpWpXd1jXhNoBokZTSa

ETH 0x6951E2Cc8E8Ea2102e5370CbAd608a819e308C55

LTC LcBvYYTdWrTyiDJFZia9nodD8oAhoWBUsS

I've checked the transaction info and I am not the frist one to fall
https://etherscan.io/address/0x6951E2Cc8E8Ea2102e5370CbAd608a819e308C55

Mine is: 0x79dc5f373fc3297312c283394abef77c996a6606ee2fa7c40817a8d0fbcab294 4622123 2 hrs 58 mins ago 0x5c7df0c98c11deba12c2efb0e7cac622e2f74786 IN 0x6951e2cc8e8ea2102e5370cbad608a819e308c55 0.01308 Ether

Checked the virus generated btc address

https://blockchain.info/address/1GxgDFyy3H5br8AtpWpXd1jXhNoBokZTSa

Please spread the word guys, and lets find a way to this could help others.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
junoreactor

Activity: 196
Merit: 109

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 03:05:33 AM

Yes indeed, this virus was mentioned on several topic a few weeks ago.
Be careful, I don't know if this topic can be pinned, should be.
Thanks for the reminder.
Not too long ago I read a guy here who lost money because of that, luckily for him it was something like 0.005, could have been worse.
Bitcoin is great but we are 100% responsible of the security of our funds.
cpfreeplz
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1042

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 03:08:47 AM

This has been around a long time but unfortunately, people just don't hear about it until it happens to them. A good rule of thumb is to check at least the first few and last few digits of an address to make sure it's legitimate. If you're sending a big transaction you'll want to be 100% sure though. 2 minutes of wasted time is a hell of a lot better than losing your money forever.
erickkyut

Activity: 1176
Merit: 509

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 03:21:14 AM

I'm sorry for your loss. Hackers, scammers and crypto thieves are very active nowadays. We need to be extra vigilant. Don't let your hard earned coins be stolen. I highly suggest that you use hard wallet because it has tighter securities than online and offline wallets. Just think that buying hard wallet is also part of your investment in this community.
evilgreed

Activity: 728
Merit: 266

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 03:28:50 AM

I'm sorry for your loss. Hackers, scammers and crypto thieves are very active nowadays. We need to be extra vigilant. Don't let your hard earned coins be stolen. I highly suggest that you use hard wallet because it has tighter securities than online and offline wallets. Just think that buying hard wallet is also part of your investment in this community.

This needs to be pinned already, since i've heard quiet few guys complains about their lose because of this incident. This is may be not new to us but please, before you confirm any transactions, please be extra careful and as you have said be vigilant, there is not other person that is responsible about it, instead of you. Before you confirm just make sure the address you are sending is the right one, and always double or triple check it if possible.

╔═╗┬ ┬ ┬┌─┐┬┌─┐┌┐┌
║╣ │ └┬┘└─┐│├─┤│││
╚═╝┴─┘┴ └─┘┴┴ ┴┘└┘

Next generation reserve backed token for the decentralized web
   Stake and bond to earn up to 1000% APY
█████

█████

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

JOIN ELYSIAN FINANCE

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
█████
2fresh

Activity: 782
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 03:34:50 AM

I've seen this around more often, I always double check my addresses. Do you have any idea how you got infected?
WhoKn0ws

Activity: 140
Merit: 12

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 04:25:47 AM

One must always be vigilant and have better practices in order to protect themselves and their investments. Try verifying the first few beginning and ending digits.
The_Dark_Knight

Activity: 840
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 04:29:19 AM

This has been around a long time but unfortunately, people just don't hear about it until it happens to them. A good rule of thumb is to check at least the first few and last few digits of an address to make sure it's legitimate. If you're sending a big transaction you'll want to be 100% sure though. 2 minutes of wasted time is a hell of a lot better than losing your money forever.
This is a good advice that should always be followed, copy pasting viruses have been around for quite some time so if the amount of bitcoin you are sending is important to you you need to check the address where you are sending your coins, to be honest I do not know why people do not do this, when I send  a bank transference I check the numbers of the account several times to make sure I do not send to the incorrect account and the same must be done when you send a bitcoin transaction.
Saifher

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 04:35:01 AM

Thanks for letting us know. This malware virus is getting more common every day, Its extremely important that we always check the addresses we are sending our funds to instead of trusting copy and paste so blindly, especially if we're talking about big sums of money.

Gintama214

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

DONATION SENPAI PLEASE <3 <3

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 05:04:28 AM

This is really unfortunate that people actually do this so that they can get bitcoin with other people. This is kind of stealing in your credit card number and transferring money in their wallet but even though there we should always check our address and where we are sending so that we don't send with the wrong person. Also, always check your computer if it is protected from hackers and virus so that it will never happen to you, also check what websites you go especially in gambling sites because there are too many advertisements and you might accidentally click it and leads to a virus website. Hopefull, this will never ever happened to anyone and remove that virus somehow.
miyaka26

Activity: 476
Merit: 105

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 05:15:04 AM

This virus is spreading so fast like the Trojan horse virus that makes a shortcut to removable devices such as flash drive, memory card and external hard drive, once opened, your pc is already infected. My friend is one of the victims of such hacking attempts of a virus called address changer virus. He's transferring some of his btc from a local exchange to his own wallet, push the transaction then got confirmed but when he checked his own wallet the amount is still 0, he called me and we found out that he sent his coins to another address, our suspicions is that the virus originated from a newly installed wallet application from the unknown crypto coin from the unknown source. We did install an antivirus scan the whole pc and found a bunch of worm and trojan horse viruses, so be careful about installing some unknown applications as they tend to contain some malware.

gigaxoft (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 05:39:05 AM

I've seen this around more often, I always double check my addresses. Do you have any idea how you got infected?

No, I was trying to figure it out but no clue.

I think that there must be a database where these addresses are reported that are identified in the use of these fraudulent practices
Rosewater Foundation

Activity: 392
Merit: 254

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 05:43:07 AM

This virus is spreading so fast like the Trojan horse virus that makes a shortcut to removable devices such as flash drive, memory card and external hard drive, once opened, your pc is already infected. My friend is one of the victims of such hacking attempts of a virus called address changer virus. He's transferring some of his btc from a local exchange to his own wallet, push the transaction then got confirmed but when he checked his own wallet the amount is still 0, he called me and we found out that he sent his coins to another address, our suspicions is that the virus originated from a newly installed wallet application from the unknown crypto coin from the unknown source. We did install an antivirus scan the whole pc and found a bunch of worm and trojan horse viruses, so be careful about installing some unknown applications as they tend to contain some malware.

never do this. noted

Knowledge-Princes of Earth-man, come to my lone presence into this Vortex named Kansas
lenovop-70

Activity: 1190
Merit: 108

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 06:07:17 AM

Thank you to share this information to all of us here,
we need more careful then, more bad guys out there so we need more aware about this,
scammers and hackers around, becareful guys.

Ill mind this information.
AVAMONEY

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 06:31:13 AM

So far i know, recent days a lot of viruses spread attacking mobile phone, so I do not recommend to send / transfer transactions via mobile wallet. Some member here having experience similar cases with missing transaction address, this is not about his miss wrong input, but because hackers have taken their account access.
Nefarious

Activity: 214
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 06:42:48 AM

It's a shame you got caught be this. I always highly recommend getting into the habit of ALWAYS double-checking whenever you copy/paste any address. At least ensure the first & last few characters are the same.
Obama07

Activity: 228

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 06:46:36 AM

Yes Virus can change your crypto address. You see one address but when you pest other site it is automatic change.
CryptoBry

Activity: 1008
Merit: 355

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 06:47:38 AM

I got a friend in Facebook who told me of the same experience and I think it is really a virus which he downloaded without knowing that it can be able to change the cryptocurrency address into a different one. The process is in the copy paste and the best way is to double check or even triple check that we are using the correct address in sending. I am always doing this even if my computer has no virus of the same caliber. In everything we do, we have to be really careful as scammers and hackers are always ahead of the game in victimizing people everywhere.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 06:57:57 AM

this is one of the oldest malwares that have been affecting bitcoiners for a very long time. it is not that complicated a malware either. it is a simple clipboard hijack worm that whenever it sees a bitcoin address (which are pretty simple to recognize based on their base58 formatting) it changes it for the hackers address. it is very easy to detect if you just check the first and last couple of characters of your copied bitcoin address.
you can probably find it in your task manager (running apps) and close it, or just install a good antivirus that removes it.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
ogini

Activity: 406

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 07:02:10 AM

This is a very ugly experience ,it is better check thrice the address wait for some minutes  to see if any changes will occur before sending.Am always not tried of checking it dose not take any pin from me.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: