Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:56:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you have a paper wallet? How to securely move BTC to paper wallet?  (Read 204 times)
JB0011 (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 12:34:26 PM

I'm planning to hold BTCs for a long time. But I also want to be able to sell them for fiat if I see they are crashing. And I want my coins to be absolutely safe. So after tons of research, I found that keeping them online is not safe (like on Blockchain.info wallet) because that can get hacked. The two safest ways are to keep them in a hardware wallet or paper wallet. Buying a hardware wallet at this time is not an option for me, so that leaves me with paper wallet option. The process seems simple enough: create paper wallet, transfer all the coins there and done. And when I want to move them back to online (to spend them), I just use the private keys to upload the coins online. Am I correct

So how do I move the coins to paper wallet absolutely risk-free?

1. Generate BTC addresses using bitaddress.org while computer is offline (is there a safer site to generate the addresses?)
2. Save the BTC addresses in a txt file and write down private keys on a paper. Don't want to risk using a printer. (Do I really need the QR code?)
3. Send coins to those addresses.
4. Relax with the satisfaction that no one can hack my coins now.

This is my plan. If you guys can give any tips to make this process even more safe, please do suggest.

My concern is step 1 and I think that's the most vulnerable step too. What if my coins are compromised when I generate the private key? What if my computer has malware? Can I really trust these Bitcoin address generators? Just a bit paranoid about this process.

Suggestions, please?
CryptosapienZA

Activity: 378
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 06:42:28 PM

Paper wallets are very secure, just make sure you are off line when you are generating your keys. Besides hardware wallets, paper wallets are my next favourite wallets. Just make sure you have made 2 or more copies that you will keep secure. If you are worried about security of your laptop I suggest you get a good anti virus first and scan your laptop
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 16679

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2017, 07:00:52 PM

I just use the private keys to upload the coins online. Am I correct
The term you're looking for is "import" the private keys, or swipe them.

So how do I move the coins to paper wallet absolutely risk-free?

1. Generate BTC addresses using bitaddress.org while computer is offline (is there a safer site to generate the addresses?)
2. Save the BTC addresses in a txt file and write down private keys on a paper. Don't want to risk using a printer. (Do I really need the QR code?)
1. Is a good option, but it's even better to do this from a Linux LIVE CD.
2. Writing down private keys makes it likely to make a mistake. I prefer to use a cheap laserprinter with thick (160g) paper. A cheap printer doesn't store data after you turn it off.
The QR-code is very easy if you decide to swipe the paper wallet from a mobile phone.
3. Of course Tongue
4. Some things to think about though: Can someone access your piece of paper? Can you lose it (fire/theft)? Do you have an extra copy? Do you want to use BIP38 encryption, and if so, are you absolutely sure you won't forget the password?

My concern is step 1 and I think that's the most vulnerable step too. What if my coins are compromised when I generate the private key? What if my computer has malware? Can I really trust these Bitcoin address generators? Just a bit paranoid about this process.
I consider being paranoid a good thing when it comes to Bitcoin security!
I've used bitaddress.org, and it has my trust. Don't trust your normal operating system, being offline is not enough if you go back online when you're done. Malware is patient! Try an Ubuntu LIVE CD, install your printer, and get the hang of how it works.
I can also recommend to make a paper wallet with a small amount first, test it and learn how to use it first. Once you're comfortable with the whole procedure you can do it again for real.

pixie85

Activity: 2156
Merit: 528

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 07:21:22 PM

You don't need a qr code, but it's much faster to scan the code than manually rewrite the address. Also if you're planning to do it by hand instead of printing there's a chance that you'll make a mistake. Not even an intentional one, but it's enough to make the "i" a bit longer and the dot will become one with the rest making it an "l" I've seen people who wrote B that looked like 8 and b that looked like 6. You may not see this at first and years later when the piece of paper becomes dirty or the ink fades a bit you'll have trouble reading it.
Also, I would be afraid to keep my paper wallets without a fireproof container.
bitorama

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 07:40:46 PM

keep thems in safes in banks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: