Bitcoin Forum
June 13, 2024, 11:38:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone open my wallet by seeing the address  (Read 583 times)
Mary ann Labor

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 07:15:27 AM

For me yes, it is possible to open it because every wallet is vulnerable to being hacked or lost but the safest wallet is one that you control the private key.
Rodrigo Santos

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 02:49:48 PM

A bitcoin public address is the one you use to receive bitcoin, and a private address is the one you use to send them.
You can show a public address/key to anyone you like, but make sure to keep the private ones well hidden!!!
Public and private addresses are also known as “keys”. If someone asks for either your public address or public key, show them the one starting with “1” or “3”.
An address starting with “1” is a single-user address, whereas the “3” denotes a multi-signature (multisig) address. Multisig addresses can be held by more than one person, requiring more than one private key to release the funds.
aardvark15

Activity: 1008
Merit: 510

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 03:24:45 PM

Hello I'm newbie. I just curious if someone can open my wallet by known my address?

It's safe to post address like this one 172jHZ1o61FUKb2uo1xs231HdV43qBWaKf

Please tell me the risk by posting address

This appears to be a public address so it is fine to publish this. All people can do with it is see your transactions coming in and going out. People can send Bitcoins to this address as well but no one can send Bitcoins out of it without your private key. You just need to secure that private key so no one else has it but also you need to make sure that you don’t lose it. If you lose it, there is no way to recover any Bitcoins in the address by you or anyone else.
iram701

Activity: 105

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 03:40:56 PM

Nobody are able to open your wallet until they know your private key, they only be able to see your transaction history. you just provide your public key or wallet address.
never give your private key to other people, in case you will get your funds stolen.

nebuch

Activity: 588
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 04:24:38 PM

This is good information. Nice to learn. Thanks for sharing your question. Also thanks to all who give there ideas.
FundFantasy

Activity: 182

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 04:40:46 PM

Hello I'm newbie. I just curious if someone can open my wallet by known my address?

Your public address is for sending and receiving any type of coins.
You shouldn't worry advertising it.
Who knows, maybe you'll receive few coins by mistake  Wink

AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 05:12:03 PM

For me yes, it is possible to open it because every wallet is vulnerable to being hacked or lost but the safest wallet is one that you control the private key.

Not really, unused adresses do not yet have a public key associated with them, ( in most cases atleast), leaving you with both the private and public key to brute force to get into the wallet, ( which is virtually impossible, since you don't have a starting point Y to start the bruteforce from.

Note that even with the public key it still would cost an absurd amount to crack the private key, but it would/could theorethically be possible.

Somail12

Activity: 89

The Standard Protocol - Solving Inflation

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 05:13:36 PM

No! they cant open your wallet with just a public address unless they have your private key or login details if you are using an exchange wallet. Keep your private key at safe place

apoorvlathey

Activity: 1162
Merit: 547

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2017, 07:49:29 PM

It is safe to post your "Public" address online. But remember to not post your "Private Keys" because they are the keys to your crypto funds.
The only risk by posting addresses like that is that others might get to know how rich you are, which you might not want everyone to know. A simole way is to use new address for each new transaction.

To be able to get access to coins just by knowing the public address would require insane amount of computing power, which is not available currently, to be able to crack before the universe dies !

Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3962
Merit: 2201

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2017, 09:37:50 PM

Yes it's safe, just don't share your private key. Locking this thread to prevent spam.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀