Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:27:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Altcoins and the road to recovery  (Read 233 times)
treepixel (OP)

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 03:17:08 PM

I've got a few altcoins where I was just unable to properly manage the trade and by the time I returned they'd suffered considerable losses. The ALTCOIN/BTC value for a lot of alts has obviously suffered the last few months and my question is: Should we expect those previous levels to be achieved and surpassed any time soon or is it better to exit the trade and start again elsewhere? My goal for most of the altcoins is medium to long term holds - I usually prefer trading in & out of the same alt to increase my holdings.

The reason I'm open to exiting the trade is that even thought the ALTCOIN/BTC value is very much down, the increase in BTC value means that a few of these trades are still slightly positive in USD terms. The gain in btc less the loss of my altcoins still results (in a few cases) in a net positive gain  - so there I'm happy to  exit the trade. I hesitate though - because these altcoins still seem to have potential.

The example trade below is from SNT (Status Network Token) which by all means should be doing pretty well. It's far from a shitcoin.:
<image loading...>

And looking back over SNT's history we're right at the bottom.
<image loading...>

This pattern is so familiar with (decent) altcoins right now that I'm just a bit unsure of what the best strategy is:

1.) Stay in the trade and hope that 33% btc value loss is recovered or
2.) Exit the trade without much loss in most cases and trade elsewhere (I guess I also need to get over my attachment to certain altcoins).

Or any other advice & suggestions would obviously be welcome.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
joinfree

Activity: 1246
Merit: 260

1A6nybMUHYKS6E6Z3eJFm4KpVDdev8BAJL

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 04:13:32 PM

But the altcoin prices respect to USD value are always going to be higher than before, because bitcoin is increasing, and those altcoins too.

But if you talk about the prices respect to the BTC value, well, they all are down for more than 40%, just look at doge, it was more than 300 satoshis each one of them a few months ago, and now it is less than 25 satoshis each.

The same happened with SIA, with BitShares, with Waves, and with a lot more.

Waves pased through the same situation too, it was 0.001 btc when the price of each waves was $3, now it is less than 0.0004 each waves, but the price is almost $5.

Crypto Enthusiast supporting innovative ideas for the Liberalization of the world from the Centralized Institutions.
treepixel (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 04:42:14 PM

Waves pased through the same situation too, it was 0.001 btc when the price of each waves was $3, now it is less than 0.0004 each waves, but the price is almost $5.

Yeah - but in your example you'd surely have made more money just sticking with bitcoin? So long as the BTC value of an altcoin is decreasing it becomes a bad trade - the money would've done better in BTC.
bixbem90

Activity: 420
Merit: 259

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 04:46:17 PM

Actually because of almost altcoin we trading depend on BTC price so when BTC/USD increasing we will have affect - i will hold coin at this case, other not depending BTC price as ETH, Lite, DASH,.. i think we can trading as normal.

treepixel (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 04:55:56 PM

I guess up till now I've been considering it a bad trade if the BTC value of the altcoin has fallen. It seems incorrect to evaluate the value of an altcoin by it's USD value when it's BTC value is down.

Unless I'm thinking about this wrong - that money would've done better in btc. Right now my ROI = Bitcoin gain - altcoin loss, whereas with just bitcoin investment I'm not having to subtract the loss in altcoin value.
MissionPhailed

Activity: 583
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 05:23:45 PM

I'd keep those SNT's. I'm not a trading expert and know nothing about SNT, but judging from the 2nd pic (I assume it represents the value of SNT over several months?) the value was consistently above 1000 sats a while back. BTC has been extremely bullish in the last few months and the vast majority of the altmarket took a severe beating in the process. A correction / sell-off of BTC is unevitably going to happen and lots of funds could subsequently flow from BTC into alts, possibly also influencing SNT.
webtricks
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1728

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 05:34:32 PM

This pattern is so familiar with (decent) altcoins right now that I'm just a bit unsure of what the best strategy is:

1.) Stay in the trade and hope that 33% btc value loss is recovered or
2.) Exit the trade without much loss in most cases and trade elsewhere (I guess I also need to get over my attachment to certain altcoins).

Or any other advice & suggestions would obviously be welcome.

You aren't alone with whom this happened. It is clear you bought in pump. On the basis of my past experience, I can say if you bought in pumps and wait for long without selling coins, you can't see that price again in future.
For example, I bought BURST when it was 600 satoshis, it went to 900 but I resisted to sell, soon enough it started breaking and fall below 100. Now there are recurring increase in price but it never go above 200 sats. Therefore, I suggest if your bought coin isn't of big cap then don't keep it for long, sell and move on! It won't gonna touch 600 sats again.

/]..JAMBLER.io../]Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
/our-partners.php]      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
▄█████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
▀█████████████████████████████
/become-seller.php]   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
Wipro

Activity: 924
Merit: 512

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 05:48:58 PM

Actually because of almost altcoin we trading depend on BTC price so when BTC/USD increasing we will have affect - i will hold coin at this case, other not depending BTC price as ETH, Lite, DASH,.. i think we can trading as normal.

no it is not depended on the bitcoin price dude. You might checked the bitcoin price and altcoins price movement like Dash, LTC and waves. You have to check the complete price graph with the price comparison with the altcoins and btc.
However, somehow the most of the altcoin price started increasing more than expected in the chart.
Now litecoin, waves and neo are the best place to put your investment more than expected.
Aamir1

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 06:35:13 PM

I would suggest you to exit the trade and start again choosing another coin as altcoins not very often recover their price very soon and you will be wasting your time waiting for it to recover and reach again the place or even go higher where it previously was. Once i invested some of my Bitcoins in Ethereum and unfortunately the price dropped significantly after that. I thought it will recover and i will get some profit, and even if i don't get any profit, atleast i would get what i invested, but i just wasted all my time by waiting and it was stable at the same price for a very long time. Later on i sold them and moved on. I Suggest you do the same.
namjar

Activity: 361
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 06:56:11 PM

If you are going to use Bitcoin to buy those altcoins, then you are probably going to be in a huge loss, everybody knows that altcoins are not following the same pattern as bitcoin.

That is why everytime that i buy altcoins, i do it using Tether, because i would not like to see all my portfolio going down in btc value, because it would mean that you are really losing money..

And we all know that bitcoin will always be more valuable than altcoins, we all know that. That is why now i am only investing in strong altcoins, not in shit like waves or any other altcoin like that.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses 100% original codebase
  Superfast with 30 seconds instant finality
  Tested 5000 tx per block on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
okala

Activity: 980
Merit: 114

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 07:08:54 PM

Majority of the altcoins are not doing very well now that doesn't mean there are not going to do well in future. If you invest in any coins including the one op is trying to take decisions on I will advise you to hold until there is recovering before you will decided either to sell or not. Those coins may make you good money one day.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: