Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:58:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about bitcoin qt  (Read 438 times)
kira4light (OP)

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 03:07:26 PM

The bitcoin qt really takes a lot of memories every time when it's running. It normally takes like 3 minutes to open up!

Is there any suggestion on lighter, easier-to-use wallet?

People are saying that on-line wallet is not safe. Any suggestion on that?
rme

Activity: 756
Merit: 504

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 03:15:44 PM

If you want online secure wallet Blockchain.info
If you want a software client (like bitcoin-qt) use Electrum (http://electrum.org/).
jdough

Activity: 15

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 03:18:20 PM

I just posted a very related message, so will repost here:

>
>
hello

i installed bitcoin-qt (0.8.2) for mac osx (mba), and whenever i run it, it takes up all the cpu. is this normal or happening to anyone else? maybe i am missing a setting somewhere?  as a side note, i found a nice free command line tool to throttle processes http://www.willnolan.com/cputhrottle/cputhrottle.html that seems to work well.

cheers.
jd
rme

Merit: 504

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 03:19:52 PM

I just posted a very related message, so will repost here:

>
>
hello

i installed bitcoin-qt (0.8.2) for mac osx (mba), and whenever i run it, it takes up all the cpu. is this normal or happening to anyone else? maybe i am missing a setting somewhere?  as a side note, i found a nice free command line tool to throttle processes http://www.willnolan.com/cputhrottle/cputhrottle.html that seems to work well.

cheers.
jd

Please use Electrum wallet, it is secure.
Mac version available.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 03:24:17 PM

The bitcoin qt really takes a lot of memories every time when it's running. It normally takes like 3 minutes to open up!

Is there any suggestion on lighter, easier-to-use wallet?

People are saying that on-line wallet is not safe. Any suggestion on that?
It takes 3 minutes because it check the last blocks before starting  Wink

Use Multibit or Electrum, no need to have the whole blockchain.

Pure online wallet of course aren't safe, the owner can steal your bitcoin. But a online wallet like blockchain.info one is safe because they don't have access to your keys. Just make sure you make backups!

and whenever i run it, it takes up all the cpu. is this normal or happening to anyone else?
It is verifying the blocks it download, of course it use the cpu. Is it a problem that your computer is actually used? Because that is why computers exist: to be used.

niko

Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 03:30:44 PM

If you use an android device, consider Bitcoin Spinner (or the latest, beta version called "Mycelium").
Again, private keys are only kept on your device. Just make sure you back them up.
Bitcoin-qt client is fine if your computer stays on most of the time.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
jdough

Activity: 15

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 04:49:51 PM

It is verifying the blocks it download, of course it use the cpu. Is it a problem that your computer is actually used? Because that is why computers exist: to be used.

So it is normal. Thanks for the information. The problem is that I want to use my computer to do other things in the meantime, which at times can be affected by overall CPU usage of course.

Anyway, I tried Multibit and like its convenience. Will check out Electrum. Thanks.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: