Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:29:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I have free electricity, will this make bitcoin mining profitable?!  (Read 3116 times)
Stuartuk

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 03:47:46 PM

Who has free electricity? You must mean your mum is paying the bill?! lol or maybe you are stealing it from a lamp-post? Either way someone pays for it.

Although having said that my friends at chool said they were given free electricity from the railway for allowing them to put a 'transformer' on their property. Not sure about it now as I think the railways 'transformer' they pointed to was actually the one to supply their house!

juanph

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 03:50:48 PM

that would be great! you should invest on asic miners or butterfly labs. it can save you alot of money!
thermos

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 05:45:37 PM

bitcoins and grow lights NYC;)
KnCMiningOp

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 02:43:55 PM

If you have free electricity. Why not host others miners and take 3-5%?
I doubt he has that much electricity, and that isn't capped.

Sure if he wants to host 100 units drawing 10,000 watts. What about 5-10?
Sure, but:

1. why should I trust him with my hardware
2. is he really entitled to use electricity that way? I think not
2.1. either he has a legal contract which allows him to pay a flat rate for electricity, in that case if the electric company is not totally idiot there is a clause he can't "share" it
2.2. or he is stealing it, in that case not only it is illegal anyway, but doing such a thing will almost certainly make the crime worse

1. Good point. Always be skeptical IMO and take steps to verify their ID.
2. You might be correct.
2.1 See 2.
2.2 See 2.1

I was just making a suggestion and if he decides to do something illegal that is on him. Who knows maybe he lives at home and his parents pay for it.
KnCMiningOp

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 02:45:56 PM

that would be great! you should invest on asic miners or butterfly labs. it can save you alot of money!

I would stay away from BFL until they catch up with their current orders. They are shipping orders paid for from last summer. It might be a while before they catch up. Here is a nice list of ASIC miners: http://decentralizedhashing.com/bitcoin-mining-equipment-table/

Note: I'm in no way affiliated with any ASIC mining company or the above website.
Trillium

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 04:02:11 PM

I would stay away from BFL until they catch up with their current orders. They are shipping orders paid for from last summer. It might be a while before they catch up. Here is a nice list of ASIC miners: http://decentralizedhashing.com/bitcoin-mining-equipment-table/

Note: I'm in no way affiliated with any ASIC mining company or the above website.

looks at username...

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
KnCMiningOp

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 04:06:42 PM

looks at username...

LOL nice Gif.

I am running a group buy sure: (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=249820.0), but I don't work for KnCMiner.
Rinorbirch

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 04:21:43 PM

I will suggest you to mine LTC instead of BTC. You will get more profit then.
Trillium

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 04:32:13 PM

OP should be careful if he is say, renting, and the landlord/owner is paying for the electricity. If they see a huge spike after someone moves in, or out of the blue, then you can expect them to investigate and they're probably smart enough to figure who is using so much power. And then oh look, renters in that building must pay electricity themselves now. You would not be the first miner to get stung by this!

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
pollard86

Activity: 19

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 04:56:36 PM

depends on your hardware.
cowanjeffrey93

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 05:24:14 PM

Check on coinchoose.com you will find the most profitable coins for mine.

Best of luck.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: