Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:17:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain Compression  (Read 8592 times)
mechs (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 09:36:29 PM

Are there any plans at some point to add blockchain compression technology to the bitcoin client? The blockchain size will continue to increase exponentially as adoption increases and will become a victim of its own success.  It would seem to me adding some compression algorithms to the bitcoin-qt client would be of significant benefit and eventually an outright necessity to maintain the integrity of the system.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nomailing

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 10:38:17 PM

Did you see the threads about Ultimate Blockchain compression?
Here is the concept: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88208.0
And here is the current implementation in progress: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=204283.0

BM-2D9KqQQ9Fg864YKia8Yz2VTtcUPYFnHVBR
mechs (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 12:04:11 AM

Why is this being done separately from the core development team?
dillpicklechips

Activity: 994
Merit: 507

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 05:28:04 PM

Why is this being done separately from the core development team?
Probably busy! Always lot's of stuff to do.
And, why not?  Wink
mechs (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 01:06:46 AM

Wouldn't this work best if it was integrated into the official client as opposed to a secondary blockchain?
Mike Hearn
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 08:01:03 AM

"Ultimate blockchain compression" does not compress the block chain. It's misnamed.

The most important piece of the chain is the unspent outputs set (UTXO set). This is already highly compressed using a custom compression algorithm. The rest of the chain is not compressed, but the solution to growth there is called pruning, which allows for deletion of old data.
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 09:15:48 AM

Wouldn't this work best if it was integrated into the official client as opposed to a secondary blockchain?

The idea is to make it backward compatible with all other clients.  If it becomes popular, it could become part of the main standard.

From the thread, there is an intention to merge mine it.  This means that every so often, there would be a block on the main chain that references the alt-chain.  It also means that miners can mine both chains at the same time, so hopefully, it would have similar POW to the main chain.

Having said that, it can't give block rewards, so there is less incentive to merge mine it.

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
mechs (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 12:18:42 PM

Has the main dev team discussed these ideas at all? I think we all see the blockchain size will increase exponentially as acceptance of bitcoin grows.
colinistheman

Activity: 872
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 10:41:18 PM

Would pruning delete bitcoin ledger entries if the person hadn't used it before the date of the pruning?

I guess the obvious answer is of course they wouldn't just make people's bitcoin disappear... but how would you avoid that if you were "pruning" the blockchain??

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 12:10:04 AM

Has the main dev team discussed these ideas at all? I think we all see the blockchain size will increase exponentially as acceptance of bitcoin grows.

Unfortunately Gavin has different priorities. He intends to solve a problem that was already solved by private companies by implementing it into the reference client instead of focusing on scalability which he knows when push comes to shove he will likely be able to lobby and get enough support for a hard fork that removes the blocksize limit and he basically doesn't care how big the blockchain gets or how few full nodes we have.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
TierNolan
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 09:18:11 AM

He intends to solve a problem that was already solved by private companies by implementing it into the reference client

So, what are they working on?

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 09:20:05 AM

He intends to solve a problem that was already solved by private companies by implementing it into the reference client

An integrated secure invoice system. Something the functionality of which Bitpay and all the other similar platforms already offer.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

TierNolan
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 09:21:48 AM

An integrated secure invoice system. Something the functionality of which Bitpay and all the other similar platforms already offer.

Hmm, I would tend to agree that focusing on "core" functionality of bitcoin should be highest priority.  Would the intention be that this includes some kind of protocol change?

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 10:53:57 AM

I think your understanding of the payment protocol is incorrect.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Liquid

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 11:24:06 AM

Are there any plans at some point to add blockchain compression technology to the bitcoin client? The blockchain size will continue to increase exponentially as adoption increases and will become a victim of its own success.  It would seem to me adding some compression algorithms to the bitcoin-qt client would be of significant benefit and eventually an outright necessity to maintain the integrity of the system.

+1 running out of space here  Sad

also i have a question a bit off topic but can a wallet.dat file get corrupted ?

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
solex
Legendary

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 11:32:39 AM

"Ultimate blockchain compression" does not compress the block chain. It's misnamed.

The most important piece of the chain is the unspent outputs set (UTXO set). This is already highly compressed using a custom compression algorithm. The rest of the chain is not compressed, but the solution to growth there is called pruning, which allows for deletion of old data.

Yes, you are technically right, but "compression" captures the thrust of the Reiner-Maaku project for public consumption. I see this as the single most important piece of work being done on Bitcoin at the moment as it partly addresses the long-term scalability problem.

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 11:50:52 AM

I think your understanding of the payment protocol is incorrect.

You know I really don't care if that's true. Because what I do know is that it's wasting time on a problem that we might have over spending vital time we don't have on a problem that we have RIGHT NOW which frustrates me to no end.

A CEO with his prioritization skills would have been fired long ago.

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 12:17:37 PM

You know I really don't care if that's true. Because what I do know is that it's wasting time on a problem that we might have over spending vital time we don't have on a problem that we have RIGHT NOW which frustrates me to no end.

A CEO with his prioritization skills would have been fired long ago.

There is certainly room for honest disagreement here.  One could argue that the lack of authentication for addresses and transactions is a problem right now, while the size of the blockchain does not appear to be a problem today, but might become one in the future.

At any rate, Gavin isn't a CEO, he is an engineer.  The payment protocol is something that can surely be solved, while the solution to the blockchain size is unclear.  You can hardly fault an engineer that wishes to solve a problem he knows he can solve in preference to a spinning his wheels on something vague.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Mike Hearn
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 12:59:07 PM

The solution to both problems is clear and Gavin's prioritization is correct. The block chain is only 8 gigabytes today. That's nothing. If you can't keep up with that then just switch to MultiBit and you'll not need to store the chain any more. It'll be much faster as well.

Again, the "ultimate blockchain compression" thing doesn't make any technical sense, that's why it's not happening. Pruning is something that Pieter Wiulle has said he wants to work on. Most of the work was already done. It requires some protocol upgrades and some other tricky work, then you will probably be able to tell Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind how much disk space you want to give it. It'll store as much of the chain as it can within that space.

The payment protocol is foundational work, it is required for a lot of other features. That's why it's important. Pruning is a needed scalability fix but we're far from having some kind of crisis because people can't afford the disk space. A lot of people blow more than 8 gigs of disk space on apps they simply forgot about.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 01:23:47 PM

The solution to both problems is clear and Gavin's prioritization is correct. The block chain is only 8 gigabytes today. That's nothing. If you can't keep up with that then just switch to MultiBit and you'll not need to store the chain any more. It'll be much faster as well.

Yes, let's screw decentralization while we are at it, right? I know you wouldn't mind Bitcoin becoming controlled by a hand full of super nodes..

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: