Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:44:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Recover wallet through public address/possibly private + password?  (Read 670 times)
Farer (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 01:49:19 PM

Hi, I had created about a year ago a wallet through my smartphone. I had to reset my phone and I didn't back up my wallet at that time. I still have the public address and potentially the private one and I also have the password.

What can I do to restore my wallet?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Zedpastin

Activity: 363
Merit: 323

Infographics save lives

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 02:05:19 PM

If you have the private key then you can recover it through any of the bitcoin clients. but if its only the public key and password then there is no chance to recover.
Westingcote

Activity: 110
Merit: 131

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 02:16:13 PM

Download Bitcoin core and use the command to import a private key and try what you think is the private key. If it works you should have a new address in the wallet which you should see your funds in.
Farer (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 02:22:57 PM

Download Bitcoin core and use the command to import a private key and try what you think is the private key. If it works you should have a new address in the wallet which you should see your funds in.

I downloaded the client but I don't see any option to import a private key, any particular place I should look in?
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 02:26:07 PM

I downloaded the client but I don't see any option to import a private key, any particular place I should look in?
You should see "help" at the top, hover over that and select debug window, then select console. Then you type in the console, "importprivkey" then add a space, and paste in the private key. Go to the recieving addresses to verify whether it worked or not. Make sure your computer is safe, and that you have a safe environment before importing the private key. If there's a particularly large amount of Bitcoin in the address, I suggest importing on a offline computer.  

A client which doesn't require downloading the blockchain would be a preferable option, if you aren't planning on using Bitcoin core and downloading the whole blockchain.

Here are the details about private keys, as well as an example format: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Private_key

mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4919

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2017, 02:27:59 PM

An alternative (faster) option would be to download electrum standalone, then create a new wallet, recovering from private key instead of seed. That way, the OP wouldn't have to download the complete blockchain, and a rescan isn't needed when issueing an importprivkey cmd Wink

OP: never reveil your public key, however, it might be interesting for us if you'd tell us the first character of the private key AND the number of characters in your private key (nothing more, nothing less)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Farer (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 02:29:38 PM

Edit: Well, I just tried it. It's not the private key. Sad Sad Sad

Had 15 bitcoins on it.
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2017, 02:31:02 PM

Had 15 bitcoins on it.

Like i said in my previous post: if you tell us the first character of the presumed private key, and the number of characters, we can see if it's a private key in a different form (a private key can be shown in many different ways, and not every form can be imported into every client)

EDIT:
Alternatively, you can download the sourcecode of https://www.bitaddress.org and run it on an offline machine, then try your private key in the "wallet details"-tab. This tool does not support all formats, for example the Mini private key format isn't supported (AFAIK)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Farer (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 02:36:09 PM

Had 15 bitcoins on it.

Like i said in my previous post: if you tell us the first character of the presumed private key, and the number of characters, we can see if it's a private key in a different form (a private key can be shown in many different ways, and not every form can be imported into every client)

EDIT:
Alternatively, you can download the sourcecode of https://www.bitaddress.org and run it on an offline machine, then try your private key in the "wallet details"-tab. This tool does not support all formats, for example the Mini private key format isn't supported (AFAIK)

9 is the beginning for what I thought was the private private key

My public address and the password, those I am certain of but they won't be of any help apparently

Edit: 32 characters, sorry I can't reply fast enough cause my new account is restricted to a number of posts per minute.
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2017, 02:37:18 PM

Had 15 bitcoins on it.

EDIT:

9--snip-- is the beginning for what I thought was the private private key

My public address and the password, those I am certain of but they won't be of any help apparently

Please, edit your post and remove everything but the first letter (you really, really, really don't want a big part of your private key floating around online), and please add the number of characters of your supposed private key, it'll help us to make an educated guess as to which information you might hold

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Farer (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 02:42:23 PM

Had 15 bitcoins on it.

EDIT:

9--snip-- is the beginning for what I thought was the private private key

Please, edit your post and remove everything but the first letter (you really, really, really don't want a big part of your private key floating around online), and please add the number of characters of your supposed private key, it'll help us to make an educated guess as to which information you might hold

Sorry about that. It's 32 characters in all. And 34 for my public address
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2017, 02:52:18 PM

Hmmm... I'm sorry to say, but a 32 character private key starting with a 9 doesn't sound like a commonly used format to me (i can be mistaking tough)... This doesn't mean that it's impossible that this is a private key, but AFAIK it's not a commonly used format, so "standard" wallets like bitcoin core, electrum, the (depreciated) multibit (HD), armory,... will probably not support importing it it.

I guess your best chance will be to try to install the wallet you had on your phone before (the one you used to backup/export/save/... the private key) and see if you can use that private key to restore your wallet on your phone.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Farer (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 02:54:46 PM

Hmmm... I'm sorry to say, but a 32 character private key starting with a 9 doesn't sound like a commonly used format to me (i can be mistaking tough)... This doesn't mean that it's impossible that this is a private key, but AFAIK it's not a commonly used format, so "standard" wallets like bitcoin core, electrum, the (depreciated) multibit (HD), armory,... will probably not support importing it it.

I guess your best chance will be to try to install the wallet you had on your phone before (the one you used to backup/export/save/... the private key) and see if you can use that private key to restore your wallet on your phone.

I think it's a goner. Nonetheless, thank you for your help. I should have backed it up at the time...

kahc

Activity: 350
Merit: 13

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 04:05:13 PM

Hi, I had created about a year ago a wallet through my smartphone. I had to reset my phone and I didn't back up my wallet at that time. I still have the public address and potentially the private one and I also have the password.

Do you remember which client you used when you created that wallet?
Farer (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 05:33:26 PM

Do you remember which client you used when you created that wallet?

this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet&hl=en
Parodium

Activity: 1036
Merit: 332

DMs have been disabled. I am busy.

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 11:13:59 AM

Since reformatting your phone, did you continue using the phone? And did you write much data to it?

There is a chance, albeit small that the wallet was not overwritten when you formatted your phone, you might be able to use a data recovery program (e.g Recuva) to retrieve the old wallet file.

For now, stop using the phone as the more you use it, the higher the chance it gets overwritten.
Deonidis

Activity: 1

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 11:57:33 AM

so,
i found usb with bitcoin backup,
try to sync with bitcoin core wallet
till 2015 it has 0,077 bitcoin and now is to slow ,
it is locked account
if somebody is interested to look it up
i will send you .dat file
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2017, 12:20:29 PM

so,
i found usb with bitcoin backup,
try to sync with bitcoin core wallet
till 2015 it has 0,077 bitcoin and now is to slow ,
it is locked account
if somebody is interested to look it up
i will send you .dat file

It's best to open a new topic instead of using somebody else's topic to ask your question, especially if it's not the same question as originally asked in the OP.

As for your problem: you say "it is locked account". Do you mean the wallet.dat is encrypted? If so, do you know the password, or at least have a reasonably good idear what the password might be? I can pretty easily export the private keys of an unencrypted wallet.dat (or an encrypted one if you have the password), i can even make a short how-to in case you're intested?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Farer (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 06:53:54 PM
Last edit: November 30, 2017, 07:12:49 PM by Farer

Since reformatting your phone, did you continue using the phone? And did you write much data to it?

There is a chance, albeit small that the wallet was not overwritten when you formatted your phone, you might be able to use a data recovery program (e.g Recuva) to retrieve the old wallet file.

For now, stop using the phone as the more you use it, the higher the chance it gets overwritten.

I'd say casually. I don't do something crazy with my phone. Phone calls and surfing on the web when need be & listen to music. That's about it I think.

Thank you for the info! How would I proceed to use Recuva on my phone?
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 07:07:15 PM
Last edit: December 01, 2017, 01:30:28 AM by Welsh

I'd say casually. I don't do something crazy with my phone. Phone calls and surfing on the web when need be & listen to music. That's about it I think.

Thank you for the info! How would I proceed to use Recuva on my phone?

You could just take the SD card out of the phone, and use Recuva on your computer to try and recover the files. This will likely be quicker as recovery processes with a deep scan can take hours depending on the side of the card. Just make sure you demount the card properly to avoid corruption and give the best chance of recovering any files which may be on there.

I've managed to recover fairly old files that were stored on a phone which was constantly being used, although not all the files were recovered a large enough portion of them were. It's surprising how much data you can save even if you have used the hard drive since the data has been lost.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: