Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:18:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin <--> GoldMoney  (Read 13574 times)
flix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1227
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 02:43:54 PM

Anybody has a GoldMoney Full Holding http://www.goldmoney.com/online-payments.html and wants to sell me some BTC for Gold?

I would also be very interested in an automated BTC/GM exchange, since both systems are non-reversible, final, international, online and non-dollar based. Do any exist?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2011, 06:10:56 PM

I also want to purchase BTC via GoldMoney. I found one seller but he wants a minimum of $10,000 for the first deal. If you are willing to pick up a few thousand I will go ahead and buy a large batch and then make a deal with you later. PM me.

An exchange would be great but I doubt GM would let it last very long as they do not do any digital currency exchanges and stay very safe for their regulators from the Jersey Financial Services Commission for KYC and AML requirements.

flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 06:29:16 PM

I would like to start small, especially since there's probably no escrow service we can use. Also check the seller's reputation any way possible.

I would buy 100$ first, could work my way up to 1000$ after trust is established.

Regarding exchangers... what about http://bitcoin-otc.com/ ?  I hear good things.
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 06:34:15 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2011, 07:06:55 PM by flix

A couple of interesting articles comparing BTC and GoldMoney and pointing out their relative flaws/strengths:

Bitcoins backed by gold launched
http://irdial.com/blogdial/?p=3103

Why Are Libertarians Against Bitcoin?
http://themonetaryfuture.blogspot.com/2011/06/why-are-libertarians-against-bitcoin.html

Doug Casey on Bitcoin and Currencies
http://www.caseyresearch.com/cwc/doug-casey-bitcoin-and-currencies

FOFOA
http://fofoa.blogspot.com/2011/06/bitcoin-open-forum-part-3.html

My conclusion is that they could work very well in combination, they complement each other pretty well considering how different they are...
sunnankar
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2011, 10:05:01 PM

My conclusion is that they could work very well in combination, they complement each other pretty well considering how different they are...

I found another article. I agree that they complement each other pretty well. Bitcoin is great for transactions and GoldMoney for storage of value.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 05:40:20 AM

Anybody has a GoldMoney Full Holding http://www.goldmoney.com/online-payments.html and wants to sell me some BTC for Gold?

Interesting.  Wasn't aware the GoldMoney supported P2P transfers.  This can be for any of the metals, including silver.    Incidentally, the fee is about 1% with an upper limit / cap at about roughly $5.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 11:19:13 AM

I found another article. I agree that they complement each other pretty well. Bitcoin is great for transactions and GoldMoney for storage of value.

My thoughts exactly! No matter how much I believe in Bitcoin, I'm not going to save in a currency that has only been around for a couple of years. So I figure: BTC = wallet  / GM = piggybank.

cvicisso

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 04:20:14 AM

I'm in.  I have a GoldMoney account and will sell BTC for GoldMoney.  Willing to go as slow as you want/need at first (I don't have many BTC right now anyway).  PM me if interested.
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 07:57:00 AM

Yes interested, will PM.
zerokwel

Activity: 464
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 08:11:01 AM

one question about goldmoney. It looks like they take a storage fee every month from you as well as the fee for buying and selling.

Call me short sighted but I would prefer to spend a little bit more over spot and have a coin sitting on my desk rather than paying someone else to store it.
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 08:26:47 AM

It looks like they take a storage fee every month from you as well as the fee for buying and selling.

Actually there is no sell fee.
And storage fees are pretty low... considering the premium that you normally pay for a coin, it would pay for a few years of GoldMoney storage.  http://www.goldmoney.com/precious-metals-prices.html

check out this calculator:   http://inbullion.com/gold-investment-planning.shtml

cvicisso

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 02:47:53 PM

one question about goldmoney. It looks like they take a storage fee every month from you as well as the fee for buying and selling.

Call me short sighted but I would prefer to spend a little bit more over spot and have a coin sitting on my desk rather than paying someone else to store it.
Agree (somewhat), but I can't find any place willing to sell bullion for BTC.
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 02:48:41 PM

Peter Schiff on previous attempts at competing with the US dollar:

Peter Schiff: The rise of the barter economy
http://www.investmentnews.com/article/20110705/FREE/110709989

Liberty dollar, e-gold, etc... interesting recap. Good reminder that most of these were taken down by USG.
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 09:21:05 PM

I'm in.  I have a GoldMoney account and will sell BTC for GoldMoney. 

Great doing business with you cvicisso. 
Will trade again soon.
cvicisso

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 01:09:47 AM

I'm in.  I have a GoldMoney account and will sell BTC for GoldMoney. 

Great doing business with you cvicisso. 
Will trade again soon.
Thanks - I look forward to it!

If anyone else is interested - let me know.  Will sell BTC for GoldMoney.  If you don't have a GoldMoney account... you should!   Wink  You can easily set one up by hitting the link in my signature line. 
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 11:47:26 AM

I have just completed my second gg <-> BTC transaction with cvicisso successfully. Everything went smoothly, I heartily recommend this user as honest and prompt.  Smiley

I won't be broadcasting any future deals, I'll stick to PMs.

If anyone is interested, the rate was   1 gg = 3.5 BTC
cvicisso

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 12:16:35 PM

I have just completed my second gg <-> BTC transaction with cvicisso successfully. Everything went smoothly, I heartily recommend this user as honest and prompt.  Smiley

I won't be broadcasting any future deals, I'll stick to PMs.

If anyone is interested, the rate was   1 gg = 3.5 BTC
Thanks flix - and same high recommendation goes for flix.  Transactions were QUICK and painless. 

In fact - I've tried doing this (selling BTC) on eBay... what a pain!!  GoldMoney <--> BTC is THE WAY TO GO!  No big fees and transactions are near instant.  As was mentioned earlier, there is of course a 'trust' factor initially (since there is no way to retract or dispute a transaction) - but start small like flix and I did and it's smooth sailing after that. 

Bottom line: a GREAT experience.
zerokwel

Activity: 464

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 02:02:31 PM

Agree (somewhat), but I can't find any place willing to sell bullion for BTC.

there are a few people on the forums selling troy oz coins, eagles etc for between 2.5 to 3.5 btc each
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 05:48:30 PM

1 gg = 3.5 BTC

Both Bitcoin and Gold are up a lot today.

gAu = 49,16$          
BTC = 16,04$
sunnankar
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 03:38:27 AM

Anyone else who still wants to sell GoldMoney for B, please PM me.  Cool

Thank you.

Had a good transaction with imanikin. He sent first.

imanikin

Activity: 702
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 03:59:18 AM

Had a good transaction with imanikin. He sent first.

sunnankar is a trustworthy trading partner! Would definitely trade again! Smiley

Thank you!

imanikin

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 05:23:03 PM

Transaction successfully completed with flix!

Look forward to any future business with this trustworthy trading partner! Thank you!  Smiley

flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 06:50:16 PM

Look forward to any future business with this trustworthy trading partner! Thank you!  Smiley

The same goes for imanikin. Fast and smooth. Looking forward to future trades.
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 06:52:13 PM
Last edit: July 11, 2011, 07:10:38 PM by flix

Oh, and btw, I just came across this:

http://goldstarbullion.com/

Welcome to GoldStarBullion.com! We are proud to be the first internet bullion dealer that accepts only bitcoin in trade.

Just in case you want to close the circle..

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade#Precious_Base_Metals/Coins
cvicisso

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 01:16:58 AM

Welcome to GoldStarBullion.com! We are proud to be the first internet bullion dealer that accepts only bitcoin in trade.
Wow - that's a great find!  Thanks!  Any idea what their markup is? 

BTW - my rig is back up (and running better with the newest GUIminer build), so I've got a few BTC (let's say 3-ish for now) for 'sale' for GoldGrams if anyone is interested.  PM me if interested.
ptshamrock

Activity: 484
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 09:44:54 PM

me too wants do buy Goldmoney against bTC! please pm

"Money needs to be depoliticized, and the time has come for the separation of money and state to be accomplished."
kgo

Activity: 548

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 04:24:47 PM

Wow - that's a great find!  Thanks!  Any idea what their markup is? 

They're priced really competitive.  And friendly.  I suggest you just ask.  There's contact info on the website, or it's TraderSteve in these parts.
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 05:20:06 PM

Very interesting interview with GoldMoney founder James Turk:

James Turk: Gold Is Our Defense Against the Fiat Currency Graveyard
http://www.chrismartenson.com/blog/james-turk-gold-our-defense-against-fiat-currency-graveyard/60423

James explains why he expects:

*The US Government to raise the debt ceiling in August, which will require the Federal Reserve to print more money in order to soak up the new debt, sending gold and silver prices much higher this summer.
*Holders of fiat currencies to experience increasing losses in the purchasing power of their wealth; contrary to those who hold precious metals, who will see the reverse.
*This pattern of currency devaluation to be similar to the many other examples seen throughout monetary history. In short, the “unthinkable” event of a dollar collapse is a much more probable event than most consider.
*Precious metals to be an excellent vehicle for preserving purchasing power through this next transition, and whatever future currency emerges, their historic role as money to be restored.
*The end of the bull market in precious metals is years away. We’ll know its ending when holders of PMs begin trading them for other assets (e.g. property, securities) that have become overly undervalued.
imanikin

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 01:25:55 PM

The same goes for imanikin. Fast and smooth. Looking forward to future trades.

Another great deal successfully completed with flix! Highly recommended trading partner! Thank you very much, flix!  Smiley

elements

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 12:17:59 AM

I just went to goldmoney.com and to my surprise I found out that you cannot use the money-feature (sending and receiving goldmoney in any metal) if you reside in Germany.

To my knowledge this is new.

Does anyone have information about that, anyway to circumvent this problem and so on?

(I find this appalling btw!)

»A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.« - Douglas Adams
Use the trusted German Bitcoin exchange: https://www.bitcoin.de/de/r/5wcwts
Tips & donations: BTC : 1MAQYNLp2VJ9wWhPYg5BnrbUGzdhGXopZw | CGB: 5bgQivyHJcSWTgvLfVW87Zj23M7mcFCVBF
sunnankar
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2011, 04:53:46 AM

I just went to goldmoney.com and to my surprise I found out that you cannot use the money-feature (sending and receiving goldmoney in any metal) if you reside in Germany.

Does anyone have information about that, anyway to circumvent this problem and so on?

I think it has to do with Money Service Business regulations in Germany. The Dutch have also given GoldMoney a lot of grief so they do not open accounts for people residing in Holland.

I suppose the hack would be to have a residential address not in Germany then you should be able to get a Full Holding and be able to send and receive payments.

elements

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 08:25:33 AM

I think it has to do with Money Service Business regulations in Germany. The Dutch have also given GoldMoney a lot of grief so they do not open accounts for people residing in Holland.

I suppose the hack would be to have a residential address not in Germany then you should be able to get a Full Holding and be able to send and receive payments.

Well, I thought of that, too. But unfortunately I won't be able to pay a second rent
in an eligible country just to open a goldmoney account Sad

So once again the people are getting screwed...what a surprise!

»A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.« - Douglas Adams
Use the trusted German Bitcoin exchange: https://www.bitcoin.de/de/r/5wcwts
Tips & donations: BTC : 1MAQYNLp2VJ9wWhPYg5BnrbUGzdhGXopZw | CGB: 5bgQivyHJcSWTgvLfVW87Zj23M7mcFCVBF
sunnankar
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2011, 09:28:38 AM

Well, I thought of that, too. But unfortunately I won't be able to pay a second rent
in an eligible country just to open a goldmoney account Sad

So once again the people are getting screwed...what a surprise!

Well, I doubt you would have to pay a second rent. Perhaps you have a friend or family member that would let you move in and they might even only charge you to split the utilities which you would put in your name for a few months or you could have a bank or brokerage account send your statements there or better yet, both.

flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 07:39:29 PM

Now there's two contenders for BTC Amazon:

http://www.bitcoinz.ca/
vs.
https://bitcoinworldmarket.com

I love how fast things move in this world!
cvicisso

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 01:26:53 AM

For those who have PM'd me... sorry for the delay in responding.  Unfortunately, BOTH of my mining rigs went down HARD right before I went on an out-of-town vacation.  Not sure what the deal is, but it was major.  Neither MB will boot (or anything) now.  When I tried restarting the first one, there was a loud POP! in the PSU  Shocked followed by a familiar acrid smell of something electrical that just sh!t the bed.  I unplugged it, and haven't gotten back around to trouble-shooting.

My main concern right now is: HOW THE HELL DO I GET THE BTCs THAT WERE ALREADY ACCUMULATED??!  I pulled the HD and am able to run the Bitcoin program on another computer, but it doesn't show any transactions.  I've got about 10 BTC in there somewhere... is there any way to salvage them or are they gone forever? 
fm1234

Activity: 68

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 03:15:46 AM

8. EXCHANGES, CARD PROVIDERS, MONEY SERVICE BUSINESSES AND CASINOS
Unless permission is expressly given by GoldMoney, a Holding may not be used to operate a money service business or online casino, enable the funding of a debit card or to complete an exchange between goldgrams/silver ounces/platinum grams/palladium grams and other e-currencies. Any violation of this provision will result in the immediate closing of a customer's Holding.

(from here)

Mind yourselves.   If you use GM you already know they're pretty anal about details.   

Frank
sunnankar
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2011, 07:01:55 AM

Unless permission is expressly given by GoldMoney, a Holding may not be used to operate a money service business or online casino, enable the funding of a debit card or to complete an exchange between goldgrams/silver ounces/platinum grams/palladium grams and other e-currencies. Any violation of this provision will result in the immediate closing of a customer's Holding.

(from here)

Mind yourselves.   If you use GM you already know they're pretty anal about details.   

Frank

I agree Frank to mind oneself. I talked with two of my attorneys and both concluded that bit coins, legally, do not constitute currency. There is plenty of legislation defining currency and as applied to bitcoins they are not currency. Clause 8 of the User Agreement, it appears, applies to things like Paypal, Liberty Reserve, etc. that deal with currencies.

In the case with BitCoin, the issue centers on what is a bitcoin? GoldMoney can be used to complete transactions for ebooks, mp3s and other legal transactions. There is currently no legal definition of what a bitcoin is that distinguishes it from an mp3, .html file, ebook, etc. Both attorneys think it will take years, if ever, for legislation to define it and it is currently no defined as a currency. There are currently no regulations that make bitcoins illegal. Therefore, GoldMoney can be used to complete transactions for bitcoins just like GoldMoney can be used to complete transactions for an mp3, ebook, car, cups, video games and any other legal transaction.

Now could GoldMoney arbitrarily and inappropriately interpret clause 8 in an over broad way to include bitcoins as currency? Sure. Will they? Who knows but probably not if they have competent legal counsel. But if we know one thing about markets it is that if GoldMoney were to do so then the markets would just 'route around' GoldMoney.

flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 08:58:18 AM

(from here)

Frank

Annoying. They won't develop a market for their DGC themselves and at the same time won't allow e-currency exchange so that their customers can spend their gold. I guess they're not interested in Goldmoney as a medium of exchange, only as a store of value.

Oh well. I won't be making any more transactions until I've checked with them. Don't want my account closed.
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 09:05:38 AM

Unless permission is expressly given by GoldMoney.....

Of course the above is something to keep in mind for anyone who runs an exchange.

fm1234

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 05:52:52 PM

posted by sunnakar:
I agree Frank to mind oneself. I talked with two of my attorneys and both concluded that bit coins, legally, do not constitute currency. There is plenty of legislation defining currency and as applied to bitcoins they are not currency. Clause 8 of the User Agreement, it appears, applies to things like Paypal, Liberty Reserve, etc. that deal with currencies.

In the case with BitCoin, the issue centers on what is a bitcoin? GoldMoney can be used to complete transactions for ebooks, mp3s and other legal transactions. There is currently no legal definition of what a bitcoin is that distinguishes it from an mp3, .html file, ebook, etc.

Now could GoldMoney arbitrarily and inappropriately interpret clause 8 in an over broad way to include bitcoins as currency? Sure. Will they? Who knows but probably not if they have competent legal counsel. But if we know one thing about markets it is that if GoldMoney were to do so then the markets would just 'route around' GoldMoney.

I can't believe all this came from just two attorneys -- one would think it would require a whole team to come up with such twisted logic.   Please consider reality, vs. legality, as the basis of your actions:

1) Bitcoin is, manifestly and very very obviously, an e-currency by any common interpretation of that term.   GoldMoney would be perfectly within the scope of its user agreement to start policing Bitcoin exchanges, and almost certainly will if they notice any volume of it happening -- just as they have done again and again in the past, with PayPal, e-gold, Liberty Reserve, etc.   

2) As a private company, GoldMoney is not required to come up with any "legal definition" of e-currency, or to justify any other basis of a right-of-exclusion clause.  If your attorneys were worth anything as attorneys, they'd surely tell you this instead of insinuating that you'll get around it through some kind of legal definition loophole, or even that there could be legal consequences for GM if they interfere with Bitcoin transactions (eg. "...Will they? ... probably not if they have competent legal counsel.")   

I'm not actually trying to stop anyone from doing this -- simply pointing it out, in case you happen to be new to GoldMoney you might want to watch out for their occasionally unilateral policy enforcement. 

Frank
balboah

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2011, 07:17:58 PM

Also interested in selling BTC for GoldMoney, please PM me for a trade
Landstander

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 03:58:03 PM

Just completed a successful trade with imanikin. Very courteous and prompt trader. Highly recommended for those looking to buy BTC with GM.

Thanks imanikin!  Grin

1LnV7h5xrFQ98HNxctKaASbB4xRBccT5Gm     Thanks!
imanikin

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 05:02:48 PM

Just completed a successful trade with imanikin. Very courteous and prompt trader. Highly recommended for those looking to buy BTC with GM.

Thanks imanikin!  Grin

Thank you, Landstander!  Cool

Landstander is a very considerate and trustworthy trading partner! Would definitely trade again!

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 08:25:27 AM

I see that Ruxum exchange will accept GoldMoney Gold Grams, Silver and Palladium for adding funds to the exchange.  The metal is converted at current rates for the trading currency you choose, less a fee.

You need to be signed in to read the details but they show it on this page:
 - http://x.ruxum.com/account/transfers/deposit

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 04:44:35 PM

http://www.bitcoinmoney.com/post/9872899440/global-exchange-trading-expands

GoldMoney Gold Grams, Silver and Palladium can transferred to Ruxum for trading after the exchange converts to the currency choice specified.
Binford 6100

Activity: 504

PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 11:25:51 PM
Last edit: September 06, 2011, 11:46:43 PM by binford 6000

interesting comparison of costs of holding gold online vs premium on physical metal.

side note: goldmoney is a decent service willing to adopt and I live in a country allowing payments in gm. so once bitcoin exchange rate approaches parity with silver ounce, I will open buy offers for gold there : )

edit: to benefit from optimum storage fees with goldmoney the deposit should be above 550 grams. otherwise the .1 g monthly min fee is a disadvantage for a piggy bank

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
John Tobey

Activity: 481
Merit: 529

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 05:55:22 PM

It'd be nice if GoldMoney sponsored a block-chain currency with units backed by gold.  They'd control the issuance (no block solution rewards--only transaction fees for mining) and promise to buy the currency at a certain rate of gold.  (The rate would decrease slowly over time--or the chain would need demurrage--in proportion to the gold storage costs.)

If I were to do this, I'd design the GoldCoin chain with a shared proof-of-work system (merged mining) from the outset to defend against 51% attacks.  The currency would not be decentralised the way Bitcoin is, but if successful, it might rise in value enough to dwarf the underlying asset and become de facto decentralised.  The gold backing will have been be just a bootstrapping technique, an advancement over Bitcoin's 50 BTC block generation reward.  To compensate for the cost of mining (low due to shared proof) during the early stage, the gold holder would simply pay miners, perhaps via a mechanism much like block rewards.

The software would recognise some special keys as belonging to the GoldCoin issuer.  We'd need an incentive for miners to include messages signed by them, such as new issuance transactions.  (GoldCoin units would be created only upon transfer of the corresponding amount of gold-backed currency to the issuer's dedicated account.)  I'd write the software so as to regard a block containing an issuer message as "higher" than one without it, thus expressing users' desire to receive the messages.  Other official messages might include price quotes, software or protocol upgrades, news, etc.

Exchange between the digital gold currency (DGC) and the cryptocurrency could be fully automatic.  Transfer your DGC to the official account with your address in the memo, and the GoldCoin issuer promises to issue new currency to that address.  Send your GoldCoin to a specially formatted address, which encodes your DGC account number, and the issuer promises to deposit DGC at the current official rate.  If the GoldCoin issuer and the DGC issuer are one and the same, there is no additional trust issue beyond trusting each currency.

GoldMoney won't do this or allow anyone to do it with their DGCs due to regulatory concerns.  Perhaps one of its competitors will.  Pecunix?  Liberty Reserve?  I post this partly in the fear that GoldMoney will patent the system and prevent its implementation for 20 years.  Of course, the same system could work with commodities other than gold: silver, cash, baskets of commodities, etc.

Can a change to the best-chain criteria protect against 51% to 90+% attacks without a hard fork?
jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 02:05:25 PM

You may be interested in Open Transactions. You can issue digital gold with it.
you can trade it there for digital silver, dollars, bitcoins stored in OT servers, ripple credits and any other currency that is compatible with OT.
I have to admit that I don't really know how it works technically, but it seems that you can do what you want to do with it instead of a chain.
It is cash-like and transactions can be instant (even with bitcoins).

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
bitcoinTrader

Activity: 364

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 02:19:56 PM

You may be interested in Open Transactions. You can issue digital gold with it.
you can trade it there for digital silver, dollars, bitcoins stored in OT servers, ripple credits and any other currency that is compatible with OT.
I have to admit that I don't really know how it works technically, but it seems that you can do what you want to do with it instead of a chain.
It is cash-like and transactions can be instant (even with bitcoins).

Also, there can be n number of markets in OT.
You just have to define the asset pair, the server will create a market for you!

John Tobey

Activity: 481
Merit: 529

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 03:21:06 PM

Thanks for pointing me to OT, it looks promising, at least in the purely asset-backed sense of the proposed GoldCoin.  I'll think about how attached I am to the idea/fantasy that the new currency's Bitcoin-like properties might come to dominate its value and render its gold backing obsolete.

Cross-posted, modulo a few changes: https://bitcoin.org.uk/forums/topic/306-ideas-for-goldcommodity-backed-cryptocurrency/

Can a change to the best-chain criteria protect against 51% to 90+% attacks without a hard fork?
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2011, 02:12:53 PM

Anybody bought gold coins using BTC yet?
jtimon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2011, 03:19:23 PM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade#Precious_.26_Base_Metals.2FCoins

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 07:12:08 AM

thanks
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 02:45:22 PM

The Three Stages of Bitcoin
http://bitcoin-trader.blogspot.com/2011/10/three-stages-of-bitcoin.html

Bitcoin Implodes
http://blog.mises.org/18767/bitcoin-implodes/
jtimon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2011, 07:53:51 AM

Some libertarians but "intrinsic value" believers are more close to Marx than they think.
They both believe in so-called value.

flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 12:53:49 PM

..on the discussion of value (which IMO is always subjective)
GoldMoney's Fear Index:

http://www.goldmoney.com/gold-research/fear-index-sends-clear-message-about-gold-s-value.html
Fear Index sends clear message about gold’s value

Despite the drop in the gold price in September, GoldMoney's Fear Index remains above the 3% level, which should indicate a high alert to anyone paying attention.

Growth in the money supply is accelerating, with M2 starting to follow the upward spike in M1, which had been shooting up since 2010. Even M3 is showing accelerating growth for the 8th month running, albeit at a lower pace than the other Ms. Monetarists who have pointed to plummeting velocity as a buffer between monetary inflation and consumer price inflation should take note; money velocity is also showing signs of picking up.
mizerydearia

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 01:00:54 PM

Coinabul offers gold exchange too iirc.
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 03:38:59 PM

GoldMoney video review:
http://youtu.be/3jtl1CEjrxw
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 07:35:11 PM

GoldMoney video review:
http://youtu.be/3jtl1CEjrxw

Been looking at Coinabul, extremely interesting...
http://www.coinabul.com/
Coinabul: Bitcoin to Gold Marketplace

I continue to think that combining gold's store of value with BTC's ease of transaction and privacy is a winning formula, especially bitcoin inflation will still continue for several years.
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 03:50:30 PM

GoldMoney App for iPhone and iPad. Not bad:
http://www.goldmoney.com/online-payments.html

http://itunes.apple.com/app/goldmoney/id306294641?mt=8
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 10:35:48 AM

Coinabul gold price Gold Oz in BTC

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 02:31:09 AM

tl;dr; Customers may no longer send and receive payments in precious metal.

Dear Customer,

We are writing to advise you of a change of services we currently offer to our customers with a Full Holding. Since the launch of GoldMoney in 2001, we have continued to change and adapt to the global increase of compliance requirements for payment service providers. Due to this growing trend of regulation we have decided to suspend the following services until further notice with an effective date of the 21st January 2012:

* The facility to make and receive payments in precious metals to or from other GoldMoney Full Holding customers.

* The facility to convert directly between the various currencies.

Basic Holding owners do not have access to these features and are therefore not affected by this change.

Our research has proven that our customers' use of the metal payments and currency exchange services is not significant and we trust that the suspension of these services will not be inconvenient for the majority of our customers.

In accordance with our Customer Agreement, we are providing advance notice of this change to our services that will take effect on the 21st January 2012 at 12am local London time (GMT). You will be able to make metal payments and currency exchanges up to this date.

We continue to provide a secure and reliable platform for the purchase, sale and storage of your precious metals. This includes enhancing our systems, introducing and adjusting our products and services, and making our website the most effective tool for managing your precious metals portfolio.

With this in mind, we have prepared a brief survey to gauge your interest in current products and also possible future products we may introduce, depending on the feedback we receive from you. The survey can be completed at the link below. All feedback received is anonymous unless you choose to provide us with your contact details.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/goldmoney

We thank you for your continued business, and we will sincerely appreciate any feedback to help us determine the products and services that are of most interest to you.

Kind regards
Your Relationship Management Team
- http://www.thebitcointrader.com/2011/12/goldmoney-is-no-longer-money.html

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Dusty

Activity: 731

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2011, 06:36:31 AM

Customers may no longer send and receive payments in precious metal

And so much for the proposal of Doug Casey:
There’s huge and growing appetite around the world for alternatives to the dollar. Bitcoin is a beta version of what’s coming in the post-dollar world. GoldMoney, however, is already a proven version 2.0.

Maybe Doug now will start to understand what a "proven version 2.0" is and looking at bitcoin in a different way...

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 09:21:18 AM

So sad.   Angry

At least we have a month left to still use it:

In accordance with our Customer Agreement, we are providing advance notice of this change to our services that will take effect on the 21st January 2012 at 12am local London time (GMT). You will be able to make metal payments and currency exchanges up to this date.
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 05:14:56 PM

It's probably all about this:
United States: FinCEN Answers Frequently Asked Questions About Regulatory Requirements For Gift Cards, Gift Certificates And Similar Stored-Value Cards
08 December 2011
http://www.mondaq.com/unitedstates/x/156712/Consumer+Credit/FinCEN+Answers+Frequently+Asked+Questions+About+Regulatory+Requirements+For+Gift+Cards+Gift+Certificates+And+Similar+StoredValue+Cards

The Final Rule regulates all prepaid access, including future access to products or services, such as software, songs, telephone minutes, and games.  It is important for retail merchants, when evaluating its prepaid products, to understand that application of the Final Rule is likely not limited to devices that are denominated in dollar value, but rather prepaid access likely includes devices that can be redeemed for a specific good or service.
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 11:17:41 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36AiN-s6Phw

James Turk: "Let alternative payment systems flourish" @10:40
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 11:08:38 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36AiN-s6Phw

James Turk: "Let alternative payment systems flourish" @10:40

Odd that he doesn't mention that in two weeks they'll be killing their online payments capability that Lauren (host) was asking about.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 10:52:40 AM

This interview with the founder of e-gold explains a lot:
http://www.dgcmagazine.com/blog/index.php/2012/01/16/dgc-magazine-january-2012/
fm1234

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 03:17:13 PM

posted by flix:
This interview with the founder of e-gold explains a lot:

Doug had some interesting things to say on Bitcoin as well.

Frank
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2012, 11:37:09 AM

Google scrapped plans for virtual currency over regulatory concerns

http://www.finextra.com/news/fullstory.aspx?newsitemid=23484

Google chairman Eirc Schmidt says the Internet search giant once considered issuing its own peer-to-peer money system, dubbed Google Bucks, but binned the idea because of regulatory concerns.

"Depending on how our payments product evolves, we may be subject to a variety of laws and regulations in the United States, Europe, and elsewhere, including those governing money transmission, gift cards and other prepaid access instruments, electronic funds transfers, anti-money laundering, counter-terrorist financing, gambling, banking and lending, and import and export restrictions."
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 10:46:42 AM

Gold <-> Bitcoin

in Bitmit:
https://bitmit.net/en/trade/i/1388-1-gramm-goldbarren-999-eingeschweisst-neu-vom-haendler/description

1 Gramm Goldbarren 999, eingeschweißt, NEU, vom Händler
Buy now:
17.105 BTC
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 06:06:18 PM

And another place to buy gold with Bitcoin...

http://www.bitcoinmint.us/
miscreanity
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 07:35:30 AM

Recently, I contacted GoldMoney with a few questions. Here are the interesting bits:

Concerning Bitcoin:
GoldMoney does not have any connections with Bitcoin and at present has no plans to establish a relationship.
Sad, but things change.

About delivery and the risk involved with fractional bar ownership:
As GoldMoney safeguards physical metals for our customers,
you have the option to take physical possession of your
metals at any time. Smaller gold bars of 100 gram and 1 kg
can be delivered to your home address and larger LBMA bars
to a financial institution of your choice at any time.

Provided we are able to agree on transfer arrangements with
the other storage provider, we would be happy to accommodate
the request to transfer metal to an alternative provider.
Very good should a situation arise where it's undesirable to transfer your holdings to your home country.

On asset seizure and/or forced repatriation as occurred with the Netherlands:
The UK, Switzerland and Hong Kong have no history of confiscating assets. While circumstances can of course change, the established track record in these countries gives comfort to our customers. We intend to launch further vault locations in the future, giving our customers additional opportunities to diversify the storage of their metal in yet more locations.
Nice to have diverse locations, but it's the legal issues that are more concerning - pressure can be exerted. GoldMoney has to protect itself and its clients as best it can, yet there's only so much it can do.

Regarding production sources:
Rand Refinery Limited (South Africa)
Metalor Technologies SA (Switzerland)
Argor-Heraeus SA (Switzerland)
Johnson Matthey Limited (United Kingdom)

GoldMoney does not have any direct relationships with miners or mining companies.
No direct relationships can mean a few different things. As far as I'm concerned, it would be better to have established lines for sourcing metal in case of a supply squeeze, but there may be other contingencies in place for that event.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2012, 09:16:02 AM

Recently, I contacted GoldMoney with a few questions. Here are the interesting bits:

Thanks for sharing that info.

I just read "An interview with James Turk":

JT: Our decision to turn off the facility to transfer metals between GoldMoney customers in all countries except Jersey is based on lack of customer demand and increasing regulatory burdens. It is our intention to offer this service again in the future, which will depend on customer feedback and regulatory changes.
 [emphasis added]

- http://www.internationalman.com/im-interviews/an-interview-with-james-turk-co-founder-of-goldmoney-com-part-2

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

World

Activity: 743

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 09:39:40 AM

interesting interview
James Turk gives his timeline on the Dollar's Collapse and Gold's role as the messenger!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Gag8rvYF8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
Trader Steve

Activity: 836
Merit: 1007

"How do you eat an elephant? One bit at a time..."

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 03:41:31 PM

http://goldstarbullion.com and http://coinabul.com
World

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 08:54:26 PM

very interesting interview >Bitcoin, gold and competitive currencies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfzHC7Pf2fk&feature=player_embedded

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 12:28:25 AM

very interesting interview >Bitcoin, gold and competitive currencies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfzHC7Pf2fk&feature=player_embedded

Ah, .. I just made the connection:

Looks like we have a celebrity among us!

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=5507

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

imanikin

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 05:32:59 AM

Does anyone have any pros & cons regarding moving to the new Brinks vault in Singapore, which GM just announced?

Dusty

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 07:07:55 AM

Goldmoney is evaluating the integration of Bitcoin in their site!

You can partecipate to their latest survey here:

https://www.research.net/s/goldmoney-survey-2013

(Bitcoin question on the last pages)

flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 05:56:07 PM

Interesting take from GoldMoney's Geoff Turk (son of James Turk):

"I have spent quite a bit of time researching Bitcoins and have not found anything scam-like about them. Price volatility is another matter, and that is a result of an increasing demand for a relatively scarce resource. There may be individuals attempting to manipulate the price in some way, which we know is possible in any small (or even not-so-small) market. However, in my opinion the Bitcoin protocol itself is quite sound, and it creates an interesting hybrid of a commodity without corporeal existence that is nonetheless limited in supply."

via http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com.es/2013/04/mish-interview-with-bitcoin-jesus.html
Binford 6100

Activity: 504

PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 02:47:37 AM

Does anyone have any pros & cons regarding moving to the new Brinks vault in Singapore, which GM just announced?

contra: it's more expensive (GM lowered fees for some vaults and Singapore is priced as before)
pro: Singapore location itself (as not Americas, nor Europe, etc.)

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
World

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 11:39:22 AM

Gold and Bitcoin: Currencies of the Future—James Turk
Bitcoin plays out as a store of value in the years ahead, but regardless, Bitcoin is a useful currency because it makes possible low-cost global payments.
bingo

flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 02:29:31 PM

http://www.netagio.com/

We are based in London in the United Kingdom and are wholly owned by GoldMoney Network Limited.
Dusty

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 10:40:56 PM

Let's hope that when the beta phase will be over it will be possible to buy&sell metals from goldmoney to/from netagio, that would be so great...

jago25_98

Activity: 900

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 11:07:10 PM

Can't see GM reenabling gold payments any time soon. I got a feeling they got the heat from some kind of external power

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 10:36:58 AM

...and then of course this happened:

BitGold announces acquistion of GoldMoney
https://www.goldmoney.com/company/news/bitgold

full circle I guess...
Dusty

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2015, 08:57:04 AM

BitGold announces acquistion of GoldMoney
https://www.goldmoney.com/company/news/bitgold
Anybody knows if this acquisition will enable to move gold between goldmoney and bitgold and/or buying/selling bitcoins for gold?

iloveyu

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 04:31:46 PM

I'm selling bitgold for bitcoin
https://i.imgur.com/jvfan6S.jpg
Escrow welcome.
dblink

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 09:44:33 AM

If I open my GoldMoney Holding and begin buying the precious metals today, will it be tax free while exporting or importing to another country and will it reach without any restriction pertaining to the law in their respective countries, so many questions on my mind about GoldMoney, although seems good, but have some risk factor too.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: