Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:10:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PoW with nearly no power consumption with concept of Marsalek-secret?  (Read 380 times)
u95721 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 02:07:08 PM

Hi!

In many eyes, the current problem of Proof-of-Work is the pig power consumption. The miner are running the whole time to find the next valid block. Why don't let they start mine only after a certain amount of time after each block. But then let they find a valid block very fast. For example this could be realized when a block will only be confirmed when it contains a Marsalek-secret.

A Marsalek-secret is a secret which:
1. nobody in the universe can know, BUT
2. everyone will know and can check at a certain point of time.

For example in the universe of crypto currencies a hash over all in the future new sent transaction would be a Marsalek-secret (e.g. all new transactions since the last block until 10 minutes after last block). If a newly mined block will only be valid when it is related to this secret, then every miner will not start mining (consume power) until they know the this secret.

As a concrete example (it will exist much better) every hash (secret) which includes >90% of all new transactions sent to the network until 10 minutes + time of last block are valid. Then miner only will start after 9 minutes and also miners which don't received all transactions get valid hashes/secrets.

At the end the "Proof-of-Marsalek" will work very similar to Proof-of-Work, but with very less power consumption, e.g. 1 of 10 minutes mining time/emery.

Kind regards,
1Ae9xgLTnNMbShFajBGT85UTEXaUKSThE9

signature:
H/lmRIgKJpmLqZWizkXTSTmpUPthU3pUoG0ZMdms5UpUSE44NPcLGCvk0iISDeCA3jkHfAGE+MsFrVG3fflm9A8=

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 07:41:14 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

This really makes no sense to me. I have plenty of questions and this just seems like some gross misunderstanding of the whole protocol.
First of all, blocks don't get generated every ten minutes, it is on average. Mining for less amount of time would mean that the security of each block would be smaller then if everyone mined for 10 minutes, which is the whole point. We could easily make blocks appear every 1 minute instead with the same security and faster network. Of course I have no idea what your proposition is tho, it is very unclear to me.

I mean you talk about this secret as some hash over future transactions that don't exist yet. You can't make a hash of data that isn't there. It is a function that requires input, input being the transactions themselves. Very unclear what you actually meant by this. If you could be more detailed with your mathematics that would be great, since with my understanding of cryptography this makes no sense.
s2

Activity: 198
Merit: 123

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 09:03:49 AM

I think OP may have overlooked a couple things which is why PoW is necessary.

Firstly what stops a miner from generating those 90% valid transactions so they can say "yeah, trust me I waited 9 mins before starting" and then blam, publishes it's 9mins worth of transactions and a valid PoW that works with it.  This essentially kills the network because no valid transactions, apart from the ones the miner agrees to accept, would be included in the network.

Secondly the timing of 10 minutes is subjective... how long does it take to relay txs and blocks via dialup to satellite and back?  What stops a miner saying they are mining in the future?  10 minutes may sound like a long time but in a global network with clock offsets and network relay delays you can't reliably trust any time supplied in a hostile environment where playing with this value could give you an advantage.

I like the idea that OP is trying to find a way to make PoW more efficient, however this compromise just doesn't work in practice as it currently is.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: