Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:49:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Bitcoin-based secure distributed election protocol  (Read 2680 times)
mpfrank (OP)

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

Cosmic Cubist

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 02:44:29 PM

Reading about Namecoin, and this blog post (http://paulbohm.com/bitcoin-decentralization/) gave me an amazing idea:

Similarly to Namecoin, Bitcoin's protocol could be extended to support another revolutionary new application:  A secure, distributed method for holding elections for political office.

This would be a rather different notion of democracy (one that has been anticipated by early cypherpunks, e.g. see Greg Bear's sci-fi novel "Eon") - it's not "one person, one vote" but something more akin to "one hash, one vote".

Here's the idea:  An election is happening.  If you want candidate "X" to win, you insert candidate "X"'s name as an extra attribute attached to the block candidate you are currently trying to hash (supposing the Bitcoin protocol was extended to accept extra attributes).  Each participant is allowed to add such a block to the chain as many times as desired - but you have to do the proof-of-work (find the nonce) each time.

The election is declared to be over when a certain (predefined) block number is reached.

To determine who won, anyone can simply examine the public block chain and count up the votes for all the different candidates.  Whoever has the most votes wins (or, if no one has a majority, you could hold a runoff election).

This idea works well with pooled mining - during an election, each pool can announce that it is supporting a given candidate (tagging all their blocks with that party's candidate), and individual miners can work for whichever pool supports their preferred candidate.  (Of course, there is no limit to the number of candidates, since there is no limit to the number of pools that may be created.)  Pools would become like political parties, and the biggest pools would have the most political power.  People with a given political viewpoint would tend to congregate together with each other into one pool.

The reason this system is revolutionary is that suddenly you don't have to trust election authorities or voting machines to count the votes properly.  Everyone can have confidence that the outcome reflects the true preference of the electorate (where in this case, the electorate is defined as people who control computing power).

Such a system is perhaps less ideal than "one person one vote" democracy, but, since it is at least possible to implement it in a secure, trustable way, it may become a more successful political system than "human-centered" democracy in the long run.

If all the sovereign non-cryptocurrencies will eventually collapse from hyperinflation, you can't afford *not* to invest in Bitcoin...  See my blog at http://minetopics.blogspot.com/ .

Donations accepted at:  17twYNyqTiCTM2gJmumkytvhZh4sCVSKNH
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vaxum

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 12:51:22 AM

What would this protocol be useful? Who-ever has the most hashing power will get the most votes.

BTW there are already similar voting systems like this in existence.

Google: Homomorphic encryption.
Google: Electronic voting.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 01:02:05 AM

There has been at least one other thread here discussing an idea like this i think

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Anonymous

July 01, 2011, 02:55:47 AM

How about we decentralize the government's services and work from there?
mpfrank (OP)

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

Cosmic Cubist

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 04:04:17 AM

What would this protocol be useful? Who-ever has the most hashing power will get the most votes.

I'm saying hashing power would then become a measure of political will.  Of course, if you change your mind about who to vote for, you would change pools.  The size of the pool would measure the popularity of a political candidate (or viewpoint, if it's a referendum).

BTW there are already similar voting systems like this in existence.

Google: Homomorphic encryption.
Google: Electronic voting.

I'm aware of a number of proposals for electronic voting systems, but I'm not aware of any previous one that has the same combination of features...

If all the sovereign non-cryptocurrencies will eventually collapse from hyperinflation, you can't afford *not* to invest in Bitcoin...  See my blog at http://minetopics.blogspot.com/ .

Donations accepted at:  17twYNyqTiCTM2gJmumkytvhZh4sCVSKNH
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2011, 05:14:54 AM

As much as I hate to promote this whiny ass (I had a brief battle with him about healthcare on Twitter), this idea immediately made me think of Resistance, By Tobias Buckell.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2011, 06:10:52 AM

Looks like the topic has already been derailed (I was hesitant to derail it when it first appeared since I didn't want to be that guy), so here goes:

I reject the premise of your question.  We don't need elections to begin with.  We don't need to be ruled over.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: