Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:12:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2017-11-27] Bitcoin - Too Far Too Fast?  (Read 2476 times)
aysha9872 (OP)

Activity: 467
Merit: 251

uncloak.io

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 03:32:14 PM

As Bitcoin surges above $9,250 on the open this Sunday, I have to admit to having some real trepidation at these levels.

I have been a proponent of the view that Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies would benefit from the launch of ETFs and futures.  My view is that allowing for easier 'adoption' of Bitcoin will help fuel its growth as it lets new investors participate indirectly.  I should not limit that theory to just more traditional ways to invest, like ETFs and futures, but should also include easier ways to establish wallets and to own Bitcoin (and other cryptocurrencies) the 'traditional' way.  There are a growing number of 'easy' to use guides to getting Bitcoin (I have glanced at many but haven't followed through to verify how well they work of don't work).

I am convinced that ease of access and the potential for more mainstream products linked to Bitcoin has helped fuel its surge.

But now, I am concerned it has gone too far, too fast.

I have three major concerns that could slow the price rise or even cause it to have a significant correction (yes, I am converting from bullish Bitcoin to at best neutral).

Here are the three concerns:

1- Are all the ETF and Futures launches a 'sell the news' event?  Basically the question is, while I believe that easier adoption will lead to inflows, how much of that is priced in?  Have speculators loaded their electronic wallets with Bitcoin hoping to capitalize on the expected gains to the point, there won't be more expected gains?  Understanding when something is 'already' priced in is difficult at the best of times, let alone with something as complex and growing exponentially like Bitcoin, but, I can't help but wonder.  I have felt a switch in discussions I'm having over the last few weeks.  A subtle switch, but one where the Bitcoin bulls seem more eager to name ever higher price targets, while the agnostics seem more willing to do work and think about it more, rather than in a rush to get some money into Bitcoin.  The sort of behavior that may be indicating a 'sell the news' type of environment.

2- There are becoming too many competing investments which are causing some investors to question how 'real' the existing ones are.  Yes, I understand that ICO's aren't necessarily dilutive, if you can purchase them with Bitcoin, but it does start to appear odd when it seems like virtually every day, someone or some entity is announcing some new variation on the theme.

3- Fedcoin, the potential for the Fed could be classified within concern number 2, but is really only part of a larger, separate concern - that governments or central banks will push back.  I read this week, along with a lot of other people, an article describing that Bitcoin was now worth more than McDonald's.  While that sort of article is designed to 'shock' investors, especially more conservative investors, I think it represents a larger, growing concern that the 'establishment' has surrounding cryptocurrencies.  Whether the concerns are more focused on the potential for illegal funds to enter the system, taxation, controlling 'pump and dump' schemes or making your own job more difficult to manage, I'm sensing they are rising to the surface again.  I think we have hit another tipping point where to expect a response to attempt to slow down the growth and valuation of crytpocurrencies should be expected.  Something that has risen almost a 'ten-bagger' in less than a year is bound to attract attention.  Bitcoin rebounded strongly after the China crackdown, so this fear might be over-rated, but a more organized government or central bank crackdown shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.  The bigger question, in my mind, is whether Bitcoin can withstand that - but that is a question for another day.

I am torn, because my thesis of 'ease of adoption' seems to be playing out and in general it is a long way from being fully played out, which by itself is supportive of greater price appreciation.  But, at the moment, my concerns are winning out and I'd be taking some chips, or bits, as the case may be, off the table.

Disclaimer: Any opinions expressed are those of Peter Tchir. This info is for educational and/or entertainment purposes only, so use at your own risk. He's not a broker-dealer or advisor of any kind.
Source

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
webtricks
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1728

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 04:12:04 PM

I am torn, because my thesis of 'ease of adoption' seems to be playing out and in general it is a long way from being fully played out, which by itself is supportive of greater price appreciation.  But, at the moment, my concerns are winning out and I'd be taking some chips, or bits, as the case may be, off the table.

There isn't much scope for 'ease of adoption' when fees can go 5x the normal fees when few big players decide to manipulate market. I'm referring to the event happened two weeks ago, when an activist group (mostly miners) tried to mainstream BCH in place of BTC. The fees went to 0.002+ (~$19) then. Now if someone adopted Bitcoin, will he consider spending $20 while making transaction!!
But this must not be confused with price rise. Bitcoin is now the most lucrative asset to add in portfolio for traditional investors and they doing so at large scale. This will continue next year too. So on investment aspect, Bitcoin is still too Far due to entrance of new class of investors.
Gotottack

Activity: 882
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 01:58:49 AM

Well, that is your observation. On the other hand, my take on this is that, yes, it has been too fast -- too fast to decline and too fast to rise. But this is for whose benefit? We must take note that their are people who are heavily investing on Bitcoins on the belief that their money in it will grow as compared to other forms of investments which are too many to mention. Bitcoin's value has gone too far from its value upon inception; it is a given. Hence, what I see is happening now is taking back all it has lost in the past. And based on trend, it will continue to soar higher than usual. People who are at it will definitely go places.
RedX

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 08:55:13 AM

The movement of bitcoin gets me happy but worried at the same time. We all know that this surge is because of those forks that happened recently so what will happen if there are no more forks? I hope I'm wrong because I'm still hopeful that this is just a start of bitcoin's skyrocket.
Guardian.P

Activity: 609
Merit: 255

Pandora's Tokens Bounties

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2017, 10:24:32 AM

Bitcoin is like a gold rush that began in the middle of the XIX century. Where the prey was in great volumes, which caused an over-interest. And in the case of bitcoin, then there is a faster price increase.
Gotham14

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 10:55:22 AM

Bitcoin is like a gold rush that began in the middle of the XIX century. Where the prey was in great volumes, which caused an over-interest. And in the case of bitcoin, then there is a faster price increase.

Soon at around the $ 10 000 people will start to fix profit and will start a huge rollback. Under the pressure of other investors will also close the positions. And we may get a small panic in the cryptocurrency market. And the gold rush until the time stop.
ApocalypseNow

Activity: 476
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 08:20:22 AM

In my opininon, I think bitcoin is just starting. It is not fast because it has experienced up and downs before over the past years of its existence. Now and the next years is surely the right moment for bitcoin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: