Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:03:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Exchange Dust Suggestion  (Read 159 times)
Setanta68 (OP)

Activity: 93
Merit: 16

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 05:54:14 PM

Hi all,

I wasn't sure what section to post this so apologies if its in the wrong place.

Having been at a couple of exchanges recently doing transactions I was left with tiny amounts of crypto currency (dust) that cannot be sent or spent and that left me thinking. Then I came up with an idea. What if exchanges were to set up a charity bucket,bin,box or whatever you want to call it on their site for reputable global charities. I know you are thinking that its just a tiny amount but with all the thousand and thousands of transactions that take place each day it would surely add up. The currency wouldn't be lost and not to mention the extra exposure crypto would get for helping good causes would be a huge plus. This surely has to be a win win all round.

What do you folks think ?

BTW I am not affiliated to any charity or exchange. Just a guy with an idea.

Thx

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16620

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2017, 06:30:35 PM

Having been at a couple of exchanges recently doing transactions I was left with tiny amounts of crypto currency (dust) that cannot be sent or spent and that left me thinking.
Exchanges usually give you the option to clear the altcoin from your balances. That effectively donates the dust to the exchange.
Another way to use it is to buy a bit more, so you have enough to cover the minimum and sell it again. An even better solution would be to not collect dust in the first place.
Or, since you never know in crypto, you can just keep the dust until it becomes worth something again.

What if exchanges were to set up a charity bucket,bin,box or whatever you want to call it on their site for reputable global charities.
I can think of a few different reasons why it won't work:
1. It's extra work for the exchanges
2. The exchanges would rather get it for themselves.
3. It can't be verified, and can easily be cheated on by exchanges.
4. Almost any "charity" is just a business with directors, salaries and air travel. It will be hard to find one everybody agrees upon.

What do you folks think ?
My negativity aside: I did make a similar suggestion earlier this month. Not related to exchanges, but only to altcoins you actually control:
Another idea just popped up in my head: Dust to Charity!
I've had (and still have) many different altcoins, all barely worth anything, and for sure not worth the time to figure out how to sell them for a few pennies. I imagine many people have this "problem". Wouldn't it be nice to create a website where you can just upload old and almost empty altcoin wallets, after which the site collects them, and once worth it, sells them to donate the proceedings to some (crypto related) charity?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: