Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:57:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminers vs Avalon - Which start better in the cold?  (Read 419 times)
VentMine (OP)

Activity: 236
Merit: 105

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 12:48:52 AM

I have a bunch of Antminer S9's and I notice they do not start up when cold. Like even 5 degC can be too cold. From what I observed, when I heat the PSU (AP3W++) first, it starts fine. So it seems it's more so a PSU problem than Antminer problem.

Curious - How do the Avalons start in the cold?

Should I be looking at different PSU's for my Antminers than the APW3++?

My application is a remote mine, it shuts down temporarily once in a while, so I need a way to start the miners reliably.

1ESSdoVYKm8sNtYMfdkFBajhAe2e6G8keH
jijikill

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 04:45:48 AM

I think antminer is definitely better in terms of efficiency , pricing and electricity savings
Steamtyme
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 2036

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 04:49:35 AM

I have started my 741's in 5C and they were just fine. What I did notice is that when I did this I did get error codes 512 and 16 on a couple of the EC readouts in the API log. They did not affect anything, and the next time I restarted them they were gone. That was after the miners had heated my garage a little.

What are the scenarios for your miners shutting down? Is it possible to have a space heater or something that comes on when they are offline to keep up a temperature?

░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄
░░▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░░░░░░░░░░▀█▀█
███░░░▄██████▄▄░░░██
░░░░░█████████░░░░██▌
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░░████████████████
███▄░░▀██████▀░░░███
█▀█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄███
░░▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
░░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
Ripmixer
░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄
░░▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░░░░░░░░░░▀█▀█
███░░░▄██████▄▄░░░██
░░░░░█████████░░░░██▌
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░░████████████████
███▄░░▀██████▀░░░███
█▀█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄███
░░▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
░░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 04:51:08 PM

Bitmains power supplies are just garbage. I have no cold start problems using higher end server PSUs. I have started my miners (s7, s9, e9, and Avalon 741s) around 0c before. They will not run at full speed until they warm up, but other than that you shouldnt have many problems if 5c is the lowest temp you will see.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
VentMine (OP)

Activity: 236
Merit: 105

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 10:06:43 PM

Bitmains power supplies are just garbage. I have no cold start problems using higher end server PSUs. I have started my miners (s7, s9, e9, and Avalon 741s) around 0c before. They will not run at full speed until they warm up, but other than that you shouldnt have many problems if 5c is the lowest temp you will see.

Thanks fanatic26. Can you recommend a spec for "higher end server PSU's" and possibly where to buy them online? Preferably 1600W so they can run S9's.

1ESSdoVYKm8sNtYMfdkFBajhAe2e6G8keH
tranthanhhamnkhuy

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 03:58:25 AM

Smiley)))
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 07:06:19 PM

Thanks fanatic26. Can you recommend a spec for "higher end server PSU's" and possibly where to buy them online? Preferably 1600W so they can run S9's.

The Delta 2400w units the parallelminer sells are brand new high quality units. I have tested them personally over 92% efficiency. Right now those would be my suggestions for S9 power supplies.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: