Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:38:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I want a wallet that I can brute force  (Read 296 times)
Skolk (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 01:30:02 AM

I'm going to move some very small amounts of bitcoin's to a safe in my house. At first I didn't thought about encryption but then I got afraid that some thief might steal it so I need a encryption.
Then I got afraid that I might lose the password and can't access the wallet.

I want a password that a home computer can brute force but would take longer than 1-2 weeks so if someone steal my safe during a vacation I still have time to move the money. I will put a backup in my parent's house too.
I think 1 month brute force time would be enough... How many characters/symbols is that?

Hope I make myself clear :p
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16557

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2017, 12:06:30 PM

What if the thief spends $50 on Google cloud computing, and has 100 times more power at his disposal than your home computer?

This is what I would do:
You say you want to store "very small amounts". For this, I would use no encryption at all.
It's a safe, they're supposed to be safe. If you don't trust your safe, get a better safe. If you're afraid a thief might steal it, bolt it to a wall.

As an alternative, you could create 2 BIP38 encrypted paper wallets with the same private key but different password. Write the password for WalletA on WalletB, and write the password for WalletB on WalletA. Put WalletA in your safe, and WalletB goes to your parent's house.
You should still make sure you remember the passwords though, because if your parents lose your backup, you lose your password.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
officerpants

Activity: 28
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 01:38:17 PM

What if you just broke your password or key in half, and stored half in your safe, and half in another safe location (even online).  That way, if a thief stole your safe, the half of your key they stole would be useless.  If they hacked your online account, the half they had would be useless.  They'd have to know to steal both the safe, and crack your online account to get both halves of your key and put them together (knowing the right order, though it's only 2 attempts).  You could exponentially increase security by breaking into multiple pieces.

If you're only storing a small amount, no one is going to steal your stuff.  A thief who is breaking into your house probably doesn't know much about bitcoin, right now.  One who does, is probably breaking into your house already knowing you have a large sum of bitcoin (which you don't).  And in that case, they're probably looking for ways to get you online, rather than in your house, as hacking you online is safer for them than breaking your window and stealing your safe.

(a lot of what people steal from houses ends up thrown away if it's not immediately convertible into fiat money (think cash, jewelry and electronics) - unless you're hoarding millions of $$ in BTC in one place and attracting the attention of James Bond villains, your safe is probably okay for a slip of paper or USB drive with your keys on it)

You can also store multiple copies in multiple places so that if one is stolen, you can move the money before the thieves figure out what it actually is.

(I would surmise storing it on a single piece of paper with no indication what it is would result in the key being tossed, as it looks like garbage)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: