Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 01:40:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Core Clock and Mem Clock Impact on hash rate?  (Read 421 times)
architectonik (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 04:06:34 AM

Hey guys, i was experimenting with MSI afterburner and noticed a nice jump in hash rate when increasing mem clock over core clock. Which setting tasks the gpu the most? Is card stability and heat the key factors for overclocking?

What are your thoughts? What is the science between core clock and mem clock?

Thanks
crocozino

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 04:15:56 AM

you know that different coins require different setting right?
because some coins do not use memory much and all they need sheer core power - for example smart, xzc, xvg
while other do require a lot of speed memory - for example ETH, ZEC, neoscrypt, cryptonight
so make your settings correct to match coins you are about to mine and you can have 10-15%  bonus
architectonik (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 04:18:23 AM

you know that different coins require different setting right?
because some coins do not use memory much and all they need sheer core power - for example smart, xzc, xvg
while other do require a lot of speed memory - for example ETH, ZEC, neoscrypt, cryptonight
so make your settings correct to match coins you are about to mine and you can have 10-15%  bonus

I did not know that. Thank you!
wacko
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 04:29:24 AM

crocozino explained it well, I'll just add to it that for algos that don't benefit from high memory speed you can (and probably should) decrease the memclock. I put it down to -502 MHz (the maximum that MSI AB allows) myself, but it can be lowered even more with some other apps (like nvidia profile inspector which allows up to -1000 MHz). You're saving some watts with it while not affecting the hashrate in any way.
halker2010

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

The harder your life is the more meaning it has.

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 04:49:16 AM

Hey guys, i was experimenting with MSI afterburner and noticed a nice jump in hash rate when increasing mem clock over core clock. Which setting tasks the gpu the most? Is card stability and heat the key factors for overclocking?

Thanks
there are good bioses for ethash and cryptonight for zcash there're not specific memory timings yet and for skunk only core clock matters.
wacko
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 04:52:11 AM

there are good bioses for ethash and cryptonight for zcash there're not specific memory timings yet and for skunk only core clock matters.
Hmm, for some reason I assumed that topic starter was talking about nvidia cards. Silly me, if it's about AMD then indeed flashing more aggressive timings is the most important thing for any memory dependent algo.
architectonik (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 11:09:28 AM

Hmm, for some reason I assumed that topic starter was talking about nvidia cards. Silly me, if it's about AMD then indeed flashing more aggressive timings is the most important thing for any memory dependent algo.

I am uaing a NVIDIA card
wacko
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 11:44:41 AM

I am uaing a NVIDIA card
Ok, then BIOS flashing is off the table and everything said above about lowering the memclock still applies.  Smiley
papanipapi

Activity: 61
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 07:16:37 AM

Thank you sir. Well explained, and it really helps.
manji

Activity: 210
Merit: 174

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 07:51:26 AM

of course, those influence a hashrate. when modifying a clock or memory value.because that means you affect the performance of the GPU itself.

not a card stability factor but Overclocking would cause a stability your cards. if you do OC then its a card temperature will rise and if value a memory too high, that cause a crash or freeze.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: