Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 04:51:00 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CraPE v0.3 beta - Boot from USB - Win8 PE Based Mining OS  (Read 37405 times)
crazyates (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 06:24:16 AM

Ya I just took at look at it. Akbash and the LTC config are working just fine. CGMiner-nogpu and the BTC config are working just fine. However, it seems I mislabeled the desktop icons. Woops. "CGMiner LTC" launches CGMiner-nogpu with the BTC config, and "CGMiner BTC" launches AKbash with the LTC config. These should be swapped, and I'll fix it for v0.3.

In the mean time, the startup version should still work, and will launch both anyways. You can always launch them backwards if you want to do it manually, in the mean time.

v0.3 will fix this, include a workaround for keeping persistent network settings, and will include a few other programs, at the request of swiftshoot.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
crazyates (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 12:45:40 AM

Some vendor Specifics would be preferable... Gigabyte, MSI, Sapphire, Asus and ATIFlash.
Additionally, adding the Corsair Link software would be sweet for the next build.  It is the Power management software for the Intelligent Digital PSUs they have.  It will allow us to know the true Watts the system is using.  It connects via USB.
So I downloaded and took at look at all of the GPU BIOS utilities. ASUS and Gigabyte utilities are just skins for ATIwinflash. MSI won't work, and I'll try Sapphire Trixx when my last GPU gets back from RMA. It's not a Sapphire, but it should tell me if it at least works.

Corsair Link is a no-go. As I said before, no .Net applications will work unless we install the runtimes, which would easily double or triple the size of the ISO. And in the case of this particular software, it's a very niche market. Not a lot of people are using that exact PSU, I suspect.

shiny shoes

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 08:22:27 PM

ok, I guess I dont know what Im doing it wrong because I have no gpu activity. Here akbash log http://pastebin.com/SzS1nJKb
Im testing CraPE with a small rig, just with a amd 5830, no usb, no fpga, no nothing.
If I load cgminer with btc.conf everything is good!
But if I use ltc.conf I get this:
Code:
Error -5: Enqueueing kernel onto command queue.(clEnqueueNDRangeKernel)
GPU 0 failure,disabling!
18RATTT

Activity: 282
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 10:15:26 AM

v0.3 will fix this, include a workaround for keeping persistent network settings, and will include a few other programs, at the request of swiftshoot.
crazyates, any news regarding v0.3 ??

crazyates (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 03:52:53 PM

I've been adding features and making tweaks, rather than fixing things (tho I have made a few fixes). I've added a GPU BIOS flash utility. Added TRIXX for those that like to use it instead of MSI AB. I've tweaked my startup scripts to be more stable and prevent cgminer from starting before the network is up. I've added a CGMiner update process, which seems to be working fine. It updated to 3.3.2 just fine, and v0.3 will include the newest CGMiner. I'm still tweaking the network settings option, as I really want to be able to set a static IP and have it persistent across reboots. Once I do that, I think I'll package it and upload it.

V0.4 will focus on some sort of remote management. json.karasoft.com works awesome for monitoring cgminer thru the API, but i want some sort of remote desktop login. I'm thinking VNC is the only option that will work, at least with what prelim testing I've done.

JohanS

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 06:57:10 AM

Great work on this mining USB!

Sorry about the noob question, but is it possible to install flash or other software in case i would let my miner rest for a few hours and use the gear as mediaplayer?

crazyates (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 02:22:33 AM

Great work on this mining USB!

Sorry about the noob question, but is it possible to install flash or other software in case i would let my miner rest for a few hours and use the gear as mediaplayer?
Portable Apps works quite well on here, and can be used to install Chrome (which works with YouTube) or VLC (media player) or any number of other softwares. While it's still possible, this lil project of mine is really focused on mining, and nothing else.

crazyates (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 03:31:31 AM

I know, I know. I'm really REALLY slow at getting these updates out. Really I just do this as a fun lil side project, just to prove to myself that I can.

v0.3 is uploaded. See the first post for download link. I've switched to Google Drive rather than Dropbox because I can upload it all in one file rather than 2, so hopefully it downloads just as fast.

Some changes:

• Much improved the startup scripts, and now it won't even try to mine unless there's a stable internet connection. If no internet connection is found, it will wait for one.
  • Included a script to update CGMiner. The link is on the desktop. You just have to click on the link, and it will take care of everything else. No need to even close CGMiner. Bam. No hassle.
  • Network settings can now be saved, at least for wired networks. Directions are in the first post, but they're not hard.
  • Added AMU Block Erupter drivers. Tested and working just fine.
  • Added Sapphire TRIXX for those who want to use it, and ATIWINFLASH for flashing a GPU BIOS.

Next on my list is to look into a remote management setup. I'd love to be able to access a machine from anywhere. Reboot, update CGMiner, etc.

I also want to put the CGMiner update process as an automated procedure, possible anytime it boots up. Anyone opposed to the idea?

crazyates (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 08:15:33 PM

Anyone want to try the update script and give me some feedback on how well it works? CGMiner 3.4.1 is now out. Thanks!  Smiley

18RATTT

Activity: 282

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 07:38:34 AM

Anyone want to try the update script and give me some feedback on how well it works? CGMiner 3.4.1 is now out. Thanks!  Smiley
you mean the 0.4?? or the current 0.3 ??

crazyates (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 03:31:42 PM

you mean the 0.4?? or the current 0.3 ??
v0.3 has a shortcut on the desktop to an update script that will download and install the newest CGMiner. You can just click on it, and it should work pretty seamlessly, but I was hoping other people would have a chance to try it and give me their feedback.

polarhei

Activity: 462

Firing it up

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 02:05:38 PM

this may be good idea. however windows is now treated as damned. better to provide Linux version to follow up.
crazyates (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 02:12:02 AM

this may be good idea. however windows is now treated as damned. better to provide Linux version to follow up.
Advantages?
  • Compared to most Linux based Mining Distros, can be used to undervolt GPUs.

If 2 setups require minimal configuration, both provide similar results, but one adds more functionality, why would you choose the other? I love Linux and it's versatility/configurability, but there are some things Windows does better.

milone

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

CGWatcher & CGRemote

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 07:03:35 AM

If you're still looking for remote monitoring options, perhaps you could create a separate, larger version with .NET 4.0 client profile and CGWatcher? Then you can use CGRemote, which when finished will give you the best control of remote miners. CGRemote works with CGWatcher or the miner directly (on all operating systems), but there is obviously significant additional features if you have CGWatcher running on your miners. Eventually I'd like to create small listener apps that will handle the remote commands the same as CGWatcher, but OS-independent and smaller as that's all they'll do, so that all miners can have full functionality (profiles, file explorer, variables, etc). That's pretty far down the ever-expanding to-do list though.

http://manotechnology.blogspot.com/p/cgremote.html

CGRemote is Windows only, but for a community that spends $300 on a GPU without flinching, buying a $200 Windows laptop to be able to fully manage all of your miners anywhere you go shouldn't be a problem... if they don't already have one, that is.

I'll add you to the beta if you're interested.

CGWatcher, a GUI/monitor for CGMiner & BFGMiner: http://www.cgwatcher.com
CGRemote, a remote mining dashboard for all of your miners: http://www.minerremote.com
BTC: 12TAYjmSrdDHLNpmix2MG6y3R868SMM7Fx    LTC: LM6Un6hZvPzLBggJWiAVG6E6w2GfaHukXY
crazyates (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 06:02:30 PM

If you're still looking for remote monitoring options, perhaps you could create a separate, larger version with .NET 4.0 client profile and CGWatcher? Then you can use CGRemote, which when finished will give you the best control of remote miners. CGRemote works with CGWatcher or the miner directly (on all operating systems), but there is obviously significant additional features if you have CGWatcher running on your miners. Eventually I'd like to create small listener apps that will handle the remote commands the same as CGWatcher, but OS-independent and smaller as that's all they'll do, so that all miners can have full functionality (profiles, file explorer, variables, etc). That's pretty far down the ever-expanding to-do list though.

http://manotechnology.blogspot.com/p/cgremote.html

CGRemote is Windows only, but for a community that spends $300 on a GPU without flinching, buying a $200 Windows laptop to be able to fully manage all of your miners anywhere you go shouldn't be a problem... if they don't already have one, that is.

I'll add you to the beta if you're interested.

Actually, I've been eying CGRemote, but it hasn't been released yet, so I wasn't pursuing it. If you can hook me up with the beta so I can include the full release in v0.4, that would be great!

eZc

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 08:09:32 PM

nice build

could you please add thightvnc and teamviewer? <--- or do I have to do it myself?
jeffhuys

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 09:33:26 PM

Would it be possible to remove the USB after boot?

crazyates (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 05:00:59 AM

nice build

could you please add thightvnc and teamviewer? <--- or do I have to do it myself?
Including some sort of remote screen sharing is my goal for the next version, but I haven't had any time to work on it. I'm in the process of changing jobs, and it's been pretty busy.

Would it be possible to remove the USB after boot?
The system should still remain booted, but CGMiner is located on the USB drive itself, rather than the boot.wim that gets loaded into RAM.

I've always tested it with a USB, with the intent that CGMiner is stored on the USB drive's file system, rather than inside the compressed WinPE image, so that CGMiner can be updated as you go along. I suppose you could burn the ISO to a CD and boot it off that, or even theoretically boot from the ISO from a PXE server.

vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3656

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 11:20:44 PM

v0.3 has a shortcut on the desktop to an update script that will download and install the newest CGMiner. You can just click on it, and it should work pretty seamlessly, but I was hoping other people would have a chance to try it and give me their feedback.

just tried it on my notebook (t6600, 4 gig) it updated to 3.4.3 fine.

one thing though, can you keep the old copy? it did say it was backing it up but I didnt see it anywhere, although I just giving it a quick test spin so looked fast.

this seems pretty slick, next step it to try it on an old vostro cast off from work. 5830 and 3 usb devices.

oh btw it found my wireless card and connected once I put the password in. and that was your stock 0.3 image  with no editing on anything, just loaded the ISO image, booted and poof, off it went Smiley
swiftshoot

Activity: 200
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 11:30:16 PM

I've been adding features and making tweaks, rather than fixing things (tho I have made a few fixes). I've added a GPU BIOS flash utility. Added TRIXX for those that like to use it instead of MSI AB. I've tweaked my startup scripts to be more stable and prevent cgminer from starting before the network is up. I've added a CGMiner update process, which seems to be working fine. It updated to 3.3.2 just fine, and v0.3 will include the newest CGMiner. I'm still tweaking the network settings option, as I really want to be able to set a static IP and have it persistent across reboots. Once I do that, I think I'll package it and upload it.

V0.4 will focus on some sort of remote management. json.karasoft.com works awesome for monitoring cgminer thru the API, but i want some sort of remote desktop login. I'm thinking VNC is the only option that will work, at least with what prelim testing I've done.

RDP should work on CraPE.  Consider that option please... VNC would be the last option possible.

Build your own Cloud Miner! https://cex.io/r/1/swiftshoot/0/
to Make your BTC Mine for you. 3% referral bonus if you sign up others... please use my referral code if you want to join. You can also redeem your hardware after you get enough GHS.
btc:
ltc:
other altcoins: send me PM for address.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: