Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:42:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CraPE v0.3 beta - Boot from USB - Win8 PE Based Mining OS  (Read 37388 times)
Injust
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 02:39:02 PM

Ah I think Magic ISO was the culprit, that's what I used to convert what was on the USB to an ISO. I think if you rename your USB stick "WIN8PESE" that should take care of it...Steps:

1. Extraxt .7z file

2. Write ISO to USB with Rufus http://rufus.akeo.ie/

3. Rename USB stick "WIN8PESE"

4 Profit

Do all WinPE images just use the same boot files, but just different contents in the "boot.wim" file?
Because what I did was use an ISO writer to write the CraPE ISO to a USB, then when I wanted to move to another USB, I just copied all the files there. So couldn't you just distribute the modified "boot.wim" file instead of an ISO?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
captchunk

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 06:18:06 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2014, 01:35:31 AM by captchunk

There boot.wim has calls to scripts and registry entries written for stuff in C:\, stuff that CraPE doesn't have. Also CraPE uses W:\...

But I think you could keep the same /boot folder, but just copy the other folders onto your USB...I did add a bootscreen with some shiny coinz on it but obviously that's not essential.

Edit: I just tried erasing my USB stick (not formatting, just select all-> delete) then extracting the iso I uploaded to it. Booted up no problem.
captchunk

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 05:07:33 AM

So "Error -4: Enqueueing kernel onto command queue" seems to be the order of the day when running any of the miners. Anybody have any success of note?
carly200

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 02:53:03 PM

So "Error -4: Enqueueing kernel onto command queue" seems to be the order of the day when running any of the miners. Anybody have any success of note?

more RAM (are you using 8GB?)
or less TC...
rmines

Activity: 140

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 02:54:48 PM

Is it legal to distribute your own OS based on Windows 8?
Isn't this copyrighted by Microsoft?

♔ PrimeDice : The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
Spare some change? 1LkqfvQTLAEiiCwTqkPRcvUdEmkCR11QDE
carly200

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 03:43:43 PM

read some posts above...
captchunk

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 10:55:49 PM

more RAM (are you using 8GB?)
or less TC...

Hmm! No just using 4GB, I've pinched every penny I possibly could on this mining rig. In hindsight I probably just should have just gotten a 60GB hard drive and not have to worry about any of this WinPE business  Tongue.

I'll pop a 4GB chip out of my main PC later tonight to see if it has any effect. If it turns out that it does, I'm going to have to go through everything that gets loaded into RAM and make cuts where ever possible. There are some .cab packages that I know can hit hit the highway at least.

captchunk

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:28:23 PM

Distributing? Feels more like myself and a couple buddies working on a customized WinPE for their respective businesses  Wink

All the source material freely available on Microsoft's website. Short answer to the first question: Yes, if it's WinPE.
Injust
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 12:32:33 AM

Distributing? Feels more like myself and a couple buddies working on a customized WinPE for their respective businesses  Wink

All the source material freely available on Microsoft's website. Short answer to the first question: Yes, if it's WinPE.

However, do note that if you download the WAIK or ADK, you are bound by Microsoft's license, which says that you cannot use WinPE as a general-purpose OS.
captchunk

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 01:37:18 AM

Define "general purpose"...

It really doesn't matter though. What companies like Microsoft are concerned about is other companies repackaging and reselling their software. That, and having their image tarnished by unauthorized usage of the corporate brand name.

Eventually I'm going to "release" this (if you can consider starting a thread on a forum with an address for donations a "release"  Grin) as a ready-made Winbuilder project. After downloading a source disk from Microsoft themselves, all people would need to do is push a button and the scripting would take care of everything. People have been doing this for years (BartPE etc.) and it's perfectly legal.

Or maybe I'll provide a link to an ISO to download...This guy doesn't seem to have a problem doing it: http://windowsmatters.com/
And haha I think his build would be the definition of a 'general purpose" build - dude's got media players, word processors, pdf readers, Chrome AND Firefox on there...all he needs is an N64 emulator to play Mario Kart and he'd have been a walking party in 6th grade.

Anyways, if a link to a customized version of WinPE rubs someone the wrong way, then they don't have to download it.
carly200

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 01:24:23 PM

about the enqeuing error... try a low TC and see if that resolves it.

I have tried many configs and often using a lower TC will give almost the same results (few kH off) so that could save you from buying more RAM...
captchunk

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 01:43:12 PM

Hmm, adding another 4GB of RAM didn't give me any more usable RAM. Instead of 4.00 and 2.6 usable, I just had 8.00 with 2.6 usable.

After poking around the forums, I think the problem is that x86 builds of Winpe max out at 4GB or RAM or something...
Interestingly enough, I just tried to boot a x64 bit version of WinPE on my x86 rig, and it worked. I did not know that was possible. I may just rebuild the whole thing with an x64 source disk...

On a side note: If anyone is just interested the original CraPE (AMD 12.8 best for 6xxx and 7xxx cards I've heard), I threw together a quick update on it: http://l.bitcasa.com/1wYvouOC

(no you don't have to sign up for Shitcasa, just hit download)

It's basically the same exact thing, except:

- TightVNC boots with no password as default
- Updated Cgminer (and added other miners, Kalroth, SGminer, etc)
- Moved some apps and the last startup script away from the X: drive (which loads into ram and doesn't save) and put them in W:. Less to load into RAM, plus you can save your settings on apps like MSI-AB etc.

I didn't even make an ISO, just extracting should be fine.
rmines

Activity: 140

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 02:17:18 PM

I didn't know WinPE was made freely available by Microsoft, my bad.
I will start reading about WinPE to improve my knowledge.

Does this also mean that I can legally use WinPE as a VM on my ESXi server for just 1 task?

♔ PrimeDice : The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
Spare some change? 1LkqfvQTLAEiiCwTqkPRcvUdEmkCR11QDE
captchunk

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:06:34 AM

I didn't know WinPE was made freely available by Microsoft, my bad.
I will start reading about WinPE to improve my knowledge.

Does this also mean that I can legally use WinPE as a VM on my ESXi server for just 1 task?

As your attorney, I advise you to run at least 2 tasks on your server.
ivanlabrie

Activity: 812

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:19:55 AM

Thanks captcha...

I've stumbled upon Gandalf50's blog, windowsmatters.com and he has a dual boot premade winpe x86/64 iso.
I'm gonna try adding gpu drivers to it as well as miners and see how it goes.

Check it out, looks pretty cool.
Have you used pnputil.exe to install drivers before?
captchunk

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:29:18 AM

Thanks captcha...

I've stumbled upon Gandalf50's blog, windowsmatters.com and he has a dual boot premade winpe x86/64 iso.

I actually just tried it today, it's how I realized I could boot a x64 WinPE to a x86 machine.

pnputil.exe to install drivers, never tried that. I've gotten used to adding drivers through DISM...I have a feeling that it will only load previously installed drivers, not install them. If you're running it live it they certainly won't hold until next boot. I could be talking out of my ass here so let me know if it works  Grin
captchunk

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:58:05 AM

Anyways, anybody had a chance to test out the build I made, especially people with 270-290 cards?
eLeMe

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 07:05:48 PM

Thanks captcha...

I actually just tried it today, it's how I realized I could boot a x64 WinPE to a x86 machine.

pnputil.exe to install drivers, never tried that. I've gotten used to adding drivers through DISM...I have a feeling that it will only load previously installed drivers, not install them. If you're running it live it they certainly won't hold until next boot. I could be talking out of my ass here so let me know if it works  Grin

Been working on this as well without much luck..
ivanlabrie

Activity: 812

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 07:27:41 PM

It's really strange, I had success one time installing wireless drivers in the x86 os.
Rebooted and drivers were gone, tried again and it didn't wokr  Huh

This is really confusing to say the least :p
captchunk

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 11:13:22 PM

It's really strange, I had success one time installing wireless drivers in the x86 os.
Rebooted and drivers were gone, tried again and it didn't wokr  Huh

This is really confusing to say the least :p

The system drive (X:) loads into ram. When you're running it live you could erase half the files and rename the other half random gibberish, and on reboot it would go back to exactly how it was.

You gotta use dism to load drivers, offline. Here, extract this and go to where dism.exe lives and run those commands I told you a few posts back to add drivers: http://l.bitcasa.com/DmXx2Mck
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: