Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:25:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: storing cryptocurrency  (Read 308 times)
sona12 (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 07:28:09 AM

if i buy ethereum from coinbase can i leave it in coinbase or do i have to save it anywhere?
i heard about wallets to store coins..can anyone throw some light on this?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tornikejr

Activity: 228
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 07:51:24 AM

hello.
It is not advisable to store your crypto on exchange  wallet like coinbase. Most safe way to store your crypto is hardware wallets like trezor, ledger nano, but if you don't want to buy one, search for wallet where private key is controlled by you . (e.g. for ethereum you can use metamask, myetherwallet...)
Also check this threat about wallets https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1631151.0

▐ █ ██|    CRYPTONITY  ▐|   The Crypto Community Exchange  ▐|▐ █ █ ██
⚫  Whitepaper   ●⚫   Public Sale 1 Starts: Nov 1, 2018   ⚫●   ANN Thread  ⚫
Telegram  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Discord  ●  Reddit  ●  Medium  ●  LinkedIn
BitNaija

Activity: 322
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 09:24:45 AM

hello.
It is not advisable to store your crypto on exchange  wallet like coinbase. Most safe way to store your crypto is hardware wallets like trezor, ledger nano, but if you don't want to buy one, search for wallet where private key is controlled by you . (e.g. for ethereum you can use metamask, myetherwallet...)
Also check this threat about wallets https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1631151.0
Recently, there has been cries of hark into MEW accounts. Is it still safe? Some say it is not possible to hark MEW, that it is carelessness. How true is it? Because I am concerned about storing crypto.

mikeey89

Activity: 129
Merit: 11

Blockchain enthusiast

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 10:35:04 AM

You can use Coinbase Vault if you want to keep it safer, but it won't be 100 % safe unless you hold the private keys yourself. I would recommend you buying a hardware wallet. I have a Ledger Nano S and it's amazing.
nizamcc
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 01:42:39 PM

if i buy ethereum from coinbase can i leave it in coinbase or do i have to save it anywhere?

Keeping your coins in an exchange could be dangerous because exchanges could get hacked and (I know coinbase is not such type of exchange but) even run away with the coins of their users as you can see that with the rise in the price of Bitcoins, alts are also rising in terms of fiat and that, having your private key on hands is the only way you can feel safe because that way, your coins are with you only. Try to use Myetherwallet as they are the safest service ATM to keep your coins at.
Mi5h0

Activity: 560
Merit: 273

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 01:56:00 PM

I think it's really just personal preference. I believe that Coinbase is safe as it is being backed up by a large and verified company. As long as you don't do anything illegal you can use coinbase wallet, if you do anything illegal then they can close/freeze your account and your funds.

Activate 2FA authentication. Never keep logged in always. Never open your wallet through links from email or unknown websites.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 03:41:31 PM

You can leave it on coinbase.
Problem is when coinbase will go offline, due to malfunction or will get hacked or will go bankrupcy, your coins are lost.
To secure them personally, to have control over them, i would advice you to download software wallet, like Electrum/Multibit etc.
UpsilonTrooper

Activity: 504
Merit: 20

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 04:56:19 PM

You dont need to keep it on Coinbase but it is highly recommend that you do not keep it on Coinbase since you DO NOT control the private keys and if coinbase goes down (shuts down, hacked, etc) there goes all your funds
Mayorlopez215

Activity: 42

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 05:01:12 PM

Thanks for the head up, this really mean when you thinking of saving your coin on coinbase, one need to be put this into concern too, as coinbase can go offline or malfunction
mayo2u

Activity: 325
Merit: 26

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 05:19:08 PM

Storing some of your coins on Coinbase or Gemini or any other exchange is fine. But bear in mind that YOU are responsible for the safety of your coin. There isn't a government agency that will help you in case of failure. Failure can be one of many things (from theft to DDOS to whatever).

The correct thing is to have your coins in a wallet. And use a very good password. That is the simplest way to ensure the safety of your coins.

The key issues boils down to how to create a password,  how to store it, and how to let other people retrieve this password in case something happens to you.
althedge

Activity: 28

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 11:48:35 PM

If it's a smallish amount it's probably not worth the $100 to buy a hardware wallet. Use the coinbase vault, set up 2fa on your account and store your passwords on paper somewhere. If it is a larger amount then I'd second the recommendation for the ledger nano s, any hardware wallet will do. Make sure you purchase it from a reputable dealer.
TimtheYoutuber

Activity: 1708
Merit: 125

www.positivebetting.com

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2017, 04:19:39 AM

I made a youtube video Cryptocurrency Wallets and keeping your coins safe! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_e9zKlqngA&t=1s

I hope you enjoy it Smiley And if you have any questions please post them on my Official thread, and dont forget to subscribe if you liked it.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2256109.msg22833213#msg22833213

Positivebetting
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: