Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 09:23:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum  (Read 554 times)
drdops (OP)

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 11:51:58 AM

noob question on electrum

If I lose my wallet and restore it with the seed (thereby creating a seedless wallet?) this new wallet can now only receive bitcoin but not send them- have i got that much right? Then how do i get coins outof the new seedless wallet? Sorry Im probably missing the obvious.

Also if anyone would like to donate the tiniest fraction of bitcoin for me to learn about using wallets I will leave my feedback on using electrum from a new user perspective Smiley

This is a bitstamp address ( i can try move coin from one wallet to the next- i want to create an offline wallet with electrum first)
1JPeb1Ji12nxUh9qtpEYgtaoX41aQ3qcLa
carpetbagger

Activity: 258
Merit: 250

You can trust me, I have an avatar

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 12:04:18 PM

If I lose my wallet and restore it with the seed (thereby creating a seedless wallet?) this new wallet can now only receive bitcoin but not send them- have i got that much right? Then how do i get coins outof the new seedless wallet? Sorry Im probably missing the obvious.

No, not correct. Your wallet is always linked to that seed. It doesn't become seedless if you restore it. Once the wallet is restored, you simply send using the send function of electrum as usual. If you were to lose the newly restored wallet, you would simply restore again, using the original seed.

I sent you a little so try it out.  Smiley

Keep clam & hodl on
drdops (OP)

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 01:40:37 PM
Last edit: July 02, 2013, 02:51:21 PM by drdops

No, not correct. Your wallet is always linked to that seed. It doesn't become seedless if you restore it. Once the wallet is restored, you simply send using the send function of electrum as usual. If you were to lose the newly restored wallet, you would simply restore again, using the original seed.

I sent you a little so try it out.  Smiley

thanks a million!
I was confusing the public master key (which I was using to create an offline wallet) with the seed. Im so happy I took the time to research different wallets- this one is amazing and it really feels like I now have the security side taken care of. There seems to be a lot of expert functions which im not sure of yet though. Anything else that might be useful to know about using it? and also re security in general?

Had a look at the android version- got it installed- but it kept saying process had terminated after trying to create new wallet and would i like to close terminal? (v 1.7.3) couldnt find links to older ones anywhere.

who knows that little you sent could be worth a mint if price skyrockets  Wink

EDIT: YAY! just got my first transaction - signed in offline wallet the broadcast from online wallet. Brilliant!
What do the different colours on the clock icons in the history tab represent?
carpetbagger

Activity: 258
Merit: 250

You can trust me, I have an avatar

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 12:03:39 AM

Good stuff! You're welcome. The coloured clock represents the number of confirmations. It turns to a green tick mark after about 6 confirms. I haven't tried the android version but as far as security tips go: best to use linux & use strong passwords.

Oh and beyond just restoring from seed, from time to time you may wish to back up the whole folder where the electrum.dat is because you can back up your history & labels. (electrum-history.csv & labels.dat)

Keep clam & hodl on
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: