Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:37:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Status of GPU mining? Is there any still mining Bitcoins?  (Read 2587 times)
ehoffman (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 02:03:23 PM

Well, with the difficulty going up and prices going down, even with an FPGA setup I'm thinking of shutting it soon.  I make 3.54GH/s, taking 700W~900W.  In Quebec, electricity is cheap.  Around 7.5¢ per KW/h.  That sump up to around 40~50$ electricity per month, and I'm making around 200$ profit per months.  I remember the days where I had less hashing power and was making 500$+ per months.

Ok, still, it's 200$ (after electricity bill) per months, but it only seem that it will get worse (price tanking, diff rising, ...).  And with the summer heat coming (yeah, still 'coming'...  Shitty weather Undecided), it's becoming a furnace in my room.

So, that's my situation.  Multiply that by a fair amount and you get the status of GPU miners.  So that's only fair to ask if anyone is still GPU mining? Roll Eyes

Tough times...  Cry

Like my comments?  Cheer me up at 137s1qFV63M6SXWhKkwjaZKEeZX23pq1hw
Don't like my comments, donate to the BCRT (better comment research team) here at 1A1PbZypjEe7yanj69ApVS1FhK8UMW7Wdc Smiley
kendog77

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 03:34:17 PM

Consider mining LTC. GPUs are the only viable option for mining scrypt coins at the moment, and it doesn't look like that will change anytime soon.

A lot of folks, myself included, think the value of LTC could explode in the coming months if and when it hits Mt. Gox.

Also, mining LTC and trading for BTC has historically been more profitable than mining BTC directly.
mgio

Activity: 546

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 04:30:04 PM

Consider mining LTC. GPUs are the only viable option for mining scrypt coins at the moment, and it doesn't look like that will change anytime soon.

A lot of folks, myself included, think the value of LTC could explode in the coming months if and when it hits Mt. Gox.

Also, mining LTC and trading for BTC has historically been more profitable than mining BTC directly.

Mining LTC is not more profitable right now. And it will only get worse as more GPU miners switch to LTC.

And MtGox will NEVER trade LTC.
Moogle

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

KUPO!

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2013, 04:30:47 PM

might have to look more into that with my GPU rig then. i currently get about $1.50 a day with my radeon 7950. You saying i'd get more with litecoin on this?

Timzim103

Activity: 91
Merit: 15

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 04:34:49 PM

I switched to LTC, but will be discontinuing GPU mining altogether soon. It's a lot of electricity in my opinion and my gaming rig needs a GPU card upgrade. :-)
kendog77

Activity: 742

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 05:17:49 PM

Mining LTC is not more profitable right now. And it will only get worse as more GPU miners switch to LTC.

You're wrong on both counts. Mining LTC is actually a lot more profitable than mining BTC right now (165%). Also, Mt Gox recently released a statement saying they may add LTC support in July.

http://dustcoin.com/mining
https://www.facebook.com/MtGox/posts/484532824964463
lazydna

Activity: 126

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 05:32:44 PM

Hohoho, someone's stuck in 2012 I see.

Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2013, 11:16:57 PM

Mining LTC at the moment and implementing an automatic profitability-based miner switcher in my front-end, based on data from CoinChoose

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 10:59:35 PM

I have no intentions of shutting down my GPU miner until it no longer runs, I don't care how much it costs to power it. Shocked
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 11:40:32 PM

I still mine BTC with GPUs, until my BFL units arrive (any day now)...  Then I'll use the GPUs for LTC.
power is really cheap in my area -- about $0.05 / kWH -- but my power is included in my rent ;-)

so even though all my cards together COULD pull 2.2 GH, I have them in a weird configuration that will only do 1.7 at best (OCZ 1000 watt refurbished PSU crapped out on me... looked obviously due to dust build up so i opened it [thereby voiding the warranty], cleaned it good as new annndddd... still doesn't work :-()

But yeah I totally still GPU mine.  Was getting ~0.1 BTC / day about a month ago; now more like 0.05 BTC / day ...

Still, something for nothing is better than nothing for something ;-)

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
ryantc

Activity: 329

Bitcoin may be the TCP/IP of money.

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 02:27:36 AM

In Montreal the electricity cost 5.xxx cent per KW/h but I haven't mined to much BTC directly since.... I can't remember when.
mining altcoins is more profitable Cheesy
dben428

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 04:10:41 PM

Free power here. GPU is mining 24/7 (unless I'm playing games).
suprabitz

Activity: 148

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 02:54:32 PM

the main benefit of gpu mining is your gear has good resale value. as long as you can turn ANY profit after electricity and depreciation in equipment then you are ok.

If you buy a $200 card and you make $100 before it isn't feasible, but the GPU is worth $150 on the resale market, you made $50 profit. And Radeons have good resale value.

with FPGA and Asics if you pay $200 and you make even $150 and then its not feasible, you lost $50 net and will NEVER recover it. Its a paperweight. Maybe there will be some utility value for a USB stick at $5-10 just for a kid or as a novelty item but who would want an Avalon or BFL mini rig for novelty if its not covering even cost of electricity.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 03:55:58 AM

For Bitcoins, I have to massively undervolt (and underclock) just so I'm not mining at a loss. The increasing difficulty is mostly to blame, but the drooping price doesn't help either.

And I'm not mining LTC. My GPUs have been turned off, and for good, I expect.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
polarhei

Activity: 462

Firing it up

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:08:56 AM

BAD. If you don't find a way to copy yourself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: