Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:27:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: warning - bitcoin futures. Get coins off exchanges !  (Read 624 times)
skakuza (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 08:38:35 AM

The danger is a whale can buy short futures. Then he sells all his bitcoin. The price crashes as other sellers exit, he covers his shorts and buy back all his btc. This is how markets are manipulated with futures. And it's about to happen with btc. Bitcoin has been free of wall street manipulation until now.

You have been warned!

And where are they going to get the huge amounts of bitcoin to sell short and crash bitcoin. ? From the exchanges ! Remember big exhanges  restrict withdrawals and they signed the New York Agreement for sw2x. ie.They have indicated their desire for centralized control.

People MUST get their coins off all exchanges!
yogg
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 3158

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2017, 08:40:52 AM

Yes, that scenario is likely to happen, but why get all off exchanges ?
I have never been fond of keeping my holdings on exchanges.

Only the value of their BTC will change, not the fact that the BTC they hold on exchanges is theirs ?
Unless the exchange gets hacked, I miss to see the point of your advice.
Catmony

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 08:42:38 AM

USDT = is already being accused of running shady
Exchanges = almost all of them are centralized
Storing btc and crypto in their individual wallet is safe but as price volatility is quite high we can loss so much in possible dump within next few weeks.

There is no option right now for us to hedge against possible correction after this huge rally. I am still trusting exchanges and USDT with my coins and fiat so that I will not loss anything during huge dumps.

I also think whales from wall street gonna manipulate market more than what Chinese used to do.
skakuza (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 08:50:08 AM

Yes, that scenario is likely to happen, but why get all off exchanges ?
I have never been fond of keeping my holdings on exchanges.

Only the value of their BTC will change, not the fact that the BTC they hold on exchanges is theirs ?
Unless the exchange gets hacked, I miss to see the point of your advice.

Coins laying on exchanges can be borrowed and sold short driving the bitcoin price down.  If the furures are also shorted then huge profits can be made by those with deep fiat pockets and the bitcoin market can be whipsawed and made to scare off investors.

Even if they say they don't lend your coins on the exchanges, how would you ever know ?
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 08:54:09 AM

That's a different and very serious claim you are making!

I don't think that people should store their Bitcoin on exchanges, but if you are saying that they aren't in cold wallets, rather they are beng loaned out (like fractional reserve banking) that is a fairly big claim.
There is this thing, it's called the Block Chain, if what you say is actually happening, then it should show up there. Show us your work!

When futures are available, I expect less volatility, not more.
blackwidow7

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 08:54:27 AM

Is there a source about this futures-scenario? An article? Who is dealing them?
fiulpro

Activity: 1862
Merit: 830

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 08:59:57 AM

The last time I read about CME buying bitcoins future and all that stuff was like this " CME and other few big companies are waiting for their proposal to be accepted "

Well up until now I don't think they have still got their hands on bitcoins because it will start around january 2018 ^ thus the initial rise of bitcoins right now .. is in now way related to the CME or other big Whales! Thus for few more months we can be assured and still hold on.

Also they are going to hang for the long run.. fhey won't dump the bitcoins suddenly thus.. we can expect a year or two of tremendous growth.

Thus its safer to hold your bitcoins right now..!!

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██
█████████▀██▀████████
████████▀
░░░░▀░░██████████
███████████▌░░▄▄▄░░░▀████████
███████
█████░░░███▌░░░█████████
███
████████░░░░░░░░░░▄█████████
█████████▀░░░▄████░░░░█████████
███
████▄▄░░░░▀▀▀░░░░▄████████
█████
███▌▄█░░▄▄▄▄█████████
▀████
██████▄██
██████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀
.BitcoinCleanUp.com.

.     Debunking Bitcoin's Energy Use     .
███████████████████████████████
███████▀█████████▀▀▀▀█▀████████
███████▌░▀▀████▀░░░░░░░▄███████
███████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████
███████▀▀▀░░░░░░░▄▄████████████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
...#EndTheFUD...
skakuza (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 09:03:22 AM

Is there a source about this futures-scenario? An article? Who is dealing them?

It's very hard to prove,  but it is long been suspected to happen in the gold market.

What makes me suspect it is the limit on withdrawals on bitcoin And the fact that the futures is settled in cash , not bitcoin.
teilwalL05

Activity: 980
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 09:05:55 AM

USDT = is already being accused of running shady
Exchanges = almost all of them are centralized
Storing btc and crypto in their individual wallet is safe but as price volatility is quite high we can loss so much in possible dump within next few weeks.

There is no option right now for us to hedge against possible correction after this huge rally. I am still trusting exchanges and USDT with my coins and fiat so that I will not loss anything during huge dumps.

I also think whales from wall street gonna manipulate market more than what Chinese used to do.

Yup! As we are seeing the price pump in a mileage right now and we can reach a new All Time High that's gonna be the start for some manipulators or big whales to dump their bitcoin, yes this is a possible outcome now that the price is heading to a new beginning,

Let's just be ready for that big dump or correction that is about to happen but the crash that some are predicting are not gonna happen bitcoin had a huge sum right now even if it dips I think it will be in the $8000 mark or $7000 value and not what people spreading some FUD on the forum.
Icaxx

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 09:14:43 AM

I dont know exactly how it will work if bitcoin has big marketcap?
But if its happen mean they have so much bitcoin more than we can imagine.
Actually more people prefer to store their bitcoin not in exchange wallet.
iamTom123

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 09:21:38 AM

I respect people's predictions, projections and even the spread of FUD as they are all part and parcel of an open market. We have to admit it that at some point in our own Bitcoin story we had been induced by false information thinking they were right and then we learned our lessons...as if the loss we incurred were the necessary tuition fees we have to pay. This scenario painted by the original poster is something we have to see if it can really come true. As what we understand, nobody can pretty much predict the details of what can be. At least we are warned and it is all up to us to do something about it or not.
Davidbugs2

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 09:23:11 AM

Why should we get off our bitcoins from all exchanges. thats just a FUD.
TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2017, 09:32:12 AM

The danger is a whale can buy short futures. Then he sells all his bitcoin. The price crashes as other sellers exit, he covers his shorts and buy back all his btc. This is how markets are manipulated with futures. And it's about to happen with btc. Bitcoin has been free of wall street manipulation until now.

What you describe is just trading and occurs in all free markets. It has been happening since the very beginning of cryptocurrencies as well.

I respect people's predictions, projections and even the spread of FUD as they are all part and parcel of an open market.

Exactly, true of all open markets. The only way to stop it to replace a free and open market with a planned centralised market. This is the complete antithesis of everything Bitcoin stands for.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Rahar02

Activity: 910
Merit: 523

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 09:39:57 AM

Honestly, it makes sense, but there are few things that affect it.
We can consider bitcoin futures create a way for the whales from wall street to invest and cash out (manipulate).
Although, it happens everyday on every exchange where people buy and sell at their will, but not in a big amount such as whales can do.

But, I don't think bitcoin will crash just because of bitcoin futures. Bitcoin get too big to fail.
At this point, bitcoin may get corrected a bit, but it will regain the value over time (repeatedly cycle).

Whether people should withdraw all their coins out of exchanges or not, it depends on the people's decisions.
Personally, I just treat exchanges as the place to buy and sell bitcoin, not a place to keep it for long term. Most people may think the same way, and we will figure it out after CME officially launch bitcoin futures.
skakuza (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 09:47:04 AM

What you describe is just trading and occurs in all free markets. It has been happening since the very beginning of cryptocurrencies as well.

I respect people's predictions, projections and even the spread of FUD as they are all part and parcel of an open market.

Exactly, true of all open markets. The only way to stop it to replace a free and open market with a planned centralised market. This is the complete antithesis of everything Bitcoin stands for.

The difference in the bitcoin market, unlike shares or gold markets, you should be able to easily take delivery of your bitcoins so that they cannot be loaned out from underneath you. Except exchanges make it difficult and restrict withdrawals.
e-coinomist
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085

Money often costs too much.

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 09:47:07 AM

You have been warned!

Bitcoin has been free of wall street, too. On my knowledge that CME Group Inc. futures contracts introduction was a hoax
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cme-bitcoin/cme-says-bitcoin-futures-coming-this-year-but-date-not-set-idUSKBN1DL1QP
it's still somewhat far away.

The effect you described will likely happen during this "transition phase". You can totally prepare for that, riding these swings.
Maybe two or three times before things settle, since high volume market makers tend to "flatten" the charts.
TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2017, 09:53:45 AM

Bitcoin has been free of wall street, too. On my knowledge that CME Group Inc. futures contracts introduction was a hoax
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cme-bitcoin/cme-says-bitcoin-futures-coming-this-year-but-date-not-set-idUSKBN1DL1QP
it's still somewhat far away.

I wouldn't describe it as a hoax, that's not the sort of thing the CME would indulge in. As it says in that article you posted the 11 December date was posted in error but the following has remained on their site.

http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/equity-index/us-index/bitcoin_contract_specifications.html

If they have got as far as publishing the contract specifications I would say their intent is real and they think they will get the necessary regulatory approval very soon.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
erickkyut

Activity: 1176
Merit: 509

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 09:59:52 AM

Yes people should withdraw their coins from exchange sites. The wallets in exchange sites are not safe. Much better if they will store their coins on cold wallets or hard wallets. I don't agree that whales will fully control the price of coins in the market. They can make an impact on it but they cannot fully control it because the price in the market will still depend on the demand and supply of the coins.
deniskiely

Activity: 130
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 10:16:57 AM

Just simple thought , when government start to concern about cryptocurrency , they will contact the exchange owner first.
Because the exchange owner is still a citizen , not hidden man . So you know what will happened ?
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 10:39:42 AM

You have been warned!

And where are they going to get the huge amounts of bitcoin to sell short and crash bitcoin. ? From the exchanges ! Remember big exhanges  restrict withdrawals and they signed the New York Agreement for sw2x. ie.They have indicated their desire for centralized control.

I don't get it. How would taking your coins off exchanges impact this directly? The CME Bitcoin futures are supposed to be cash-settled and marked-to-market daily. Nobody, neither the CME nor the market participants, need to hold a single bitcoin for the whole thing to work. Market participants would probably put up margin in cash and not bitcoins. They may hold bitcoins externaly to hedge, but that is not required.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: