Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:54:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone have the 5ghz ButterflyLabs miner?  (Read 3871 times)
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 05:04:43 AM

I give up. You win the forum and the internet.You obviously are all knowing, and i bow to your intellect.

I guess my pool is so generous that they give me extra BTCs for my lowly hashrate. So im sorry I am wrong. I will go whip myself in the back for a hour or so as penance.

Don't feel bad. Most people around here have no idea how Bitcoin works or how to calculate the expected return from a hashing device. You are not alone.
I am sure after a few more months of looking like a complete noob, you will finally start to pick things up and won't make so many embarrassing posts.
Just hang in there!

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
philips

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 05:34:42 AM

You probably talking about one those upgraded units? I have some that do about 0.186.
k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 05:41:13 AM

You probably talking about one those upgraded units? I have some that do about 0.186.

That wouldn't be the expected return of 5GH/s though. That would be the expected return of about 7.9GH/s.
The amazing part of this is that so many people are totally unaware of the most elementary calculation of Bitcoin mining. The expected return of a hash rate at a given difficulty.

philips

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 06:00:32 AM

That wouldn't be the expected return of 5GH/s though. That would be the expected return of about 7.9GH/s.
The amazing part of this is that so many people are totally unaware of the most elementary calculation of Bitcoin mining. The expected return of a hash rate at a given difficulty.

Not at 5GH indeed.
You could still say that a (what we usually call Jalapeno) could do 0.2/day. It would take an upgraded unit and a bit of luck. A firmware tweak could raise the hash even more.

None of my units (as they came) can hash above 7.95GH though...
k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 06:07:40 AM

Not at 5GH indeed.
You could still say that a (what we usually call Jalapeno) could do 0.2/day. It would take an upgraded unit and a bit of luck. A firmware tweak could raise the hash even more.

None of my units (as they came) can hash above 7.95GH though...

A Jalapeno could do 50 BTC in a day. In fact, it could do 50 BTC in an hour just by getting lucky and finding 2 blocks in a row. It is merely unlikely to do so. But that is the nature of probability.

The OP was about the stock 5GH/s miner from BFL for $274.  With a firmware upgrade ($100 if they still offering it?) and good chips, it could do more. With enhanced cooling and overclocking, probably even more. But if he buys a 5GH/s unit with no upgrade, it might only do 5GH/s reliably.

philips

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 06:16:10 AM
Last edit: July 02, 2013, 06:29:30 AM by philips

Hey, a 5870 could do 50BTC this way Smiley

(No idea about the upgrade offer)

Let us put it this way then:
A device hashing at 5GH can't do 0.2 BTC/day.
A Jalapeno can.
k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 06:38:20 AM

Hey, a 5870 could do 50BTC this way Smiley

(No idea about the upgrade offer)

Let us put it this way then:
A device hashing at 5GH can't do 0.2 BTC/day.
A Jalapeno can.

The fastest Jalapeno reported on these forums with the upgrade and firmware tweaked is 8.2GH/s. That would clock in at 0.19328956 per day.
The stock Jala can't get close to that anymore now that BFL is binning their chips.

In any case, the order the OP was talking about wouldn't get close.

philips

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 06:42:45 AM

The fastest one does 9.2 (8.6 previously).
warhawk187

Activity: 327
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 06:45:08 AM

I'm one of the 'lucky' ones who had two early September 2012 orders. I opted for the upgraded versions. Each running >7.4Gh/s, took the cases off and they run 10C cooler with the fan blowing down on the heatsink. Considering flashing them but would it be worth the risk to gain ~10%?

dentldir

Activity: 333

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 06:53:41 AM

I'm not flashing mine.  If I was running under 5GH/s maybe.  But not at a stock 7.1 at temperature.

1DentLdiRMv3dpmpmqWsQev8BUaty9vN3v
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 09:19:25 AM

The stock fan on the Jally looks a bit....what shall I say?  Sub-optimal. 

Can someone list the maker and model number of the stock fan?  I'm pretty sure a better fan would cool better while being quieter at the same time.
philips

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 10:29:55 AM

The stock fan on the Jally looks a bit....what shall I say?  Sub-optimal.  

Can someone list the maker and model number of the stock fan?  I'm pretty sure a better fan would cool better while being quieter at the same time.

I thought exactly the same, I was prepared to buy a bunch of Delta fans or whatever...
However, the stock fan does its job very well. As long as you place them in a proper ventilated place you won't get in any trouble.
You can barely hear the fan itself, rather the woosh of the air passing through the case.

I have seven 7GH Jalapenos still in the case reaching at most 40C when is hot outside, and two stripped with the fans blowing down hovering about 35C, while the aluminium radiator is barely warm to touch, almost cold...

They do need some ventilation, an open window or something, but I think that much is obvious.
Zanatos666

Activity: 280

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 01:20:19 PM

Mine runs at around 41C, no HW errors, still in the case as shipped. Not hot enough for me to mess with, but maybe get bold here in a week or some and try and flash mine.

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
salfter

Activity: 651
Merit: 501

My PGP Key: 92C7689C

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2013, 06:49:48 PM

Its around $270... I looked up Bitcoin in google news and it has a review of  noob who mines .2 BTC a day with it, does anyone here have it?

People probably aren't mining .2 BTC per day with one now...

True...BTCGuild tells me I'm usually getting .25 to .3 BTC per day with two.  It had gone as low as .2, but maybe the pool hit a run of bad luck.

Tipjars: BTC 1TipsGocnz2N5qgAm9f7JLrsMqkb3oXe2 LTC LTipsVC7XaFy9M6Zaf1aGGe8w8xVUeWFvR | My Bitcoin Note Generator | Pool Auto-Switchers: zpool MiningPoolHub NiceHash
Bitgem Resources: Pool Explorer Paper Wallet
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: