Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 05:25:05 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking help setting up Avalon 741 ... willing to pay for support  (Read 253 times)
greenfantasy (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 02:23:34 PM

Hi All,
I am not sure if this is breaking forum rules or not, but here is my struggle.

Canaan keeps removing my service request ticket for support, because there are too many 'novices' sucking up their time.

I am a novice, I am stupid, call me whatever you want to call me, but I have been unable to get my Avalon 741 system set up. (coincidentally, I have an S7 and S9 working just fine, so kudos to Bitmain for enabling stupid people to use their equipment)

Anyone who would like to assist me, I am happy to pay for their services.

Here's what I have done:

I have followed the steps on Canaan's website of plugging everything properly and getting the appropriate colored lights.

I bought a raspberry pi 3 and have downloaded the appropriate firmware onto it using Canaan's instructions.

I have never operated a raspberry pi before and am not familiar with the openwrt system.

I connected the raspberry pi 3 to the avalon 741 miner. I tried to change my laptop's IP address to a static one per the instructions. However, that is as far as I get. When I type in the stated IP address into the browser to connect, I get a server timed out or some other rejection.

I don't know if I am supposed to connect the raspberry pi 3 via wifi to the router or not, it is plugged directly into the router using the ethernet cable. If I need to connect via wifi, I don't know how to do that.

These are the instructions I have been trying to follow:
https://canaan.io/question/how-do-i-connect-an-avalonminer-721-and-avalonminer-controller-including-raspberry-pi-1-2-and-3/

So any help, free or paid would be very welcome.

Thanks in Advance!
jnano

Activity: 301
Merit: 74

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 05:13:27 AM

Start with the basics. Connect the RPi and computer directly, without a router in the middle.
Is the computer IP set to the right subnet? If so, can you ping the RPi at 192.168.0.100?
Steamtyme
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 2036

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 07:51:34 AM

hey there,

When I first got mine I couldn't get it to work by changing my laptop IP, I followed web instructions it seemed to work, but I'm no expert so after a frustrating hour I did this.

Grabbed a spare D-link router that I had laying around and hooked it up to my home network via ethernet. These come configured to the same 192.168.0 that the PI will be on. then all you have to do is connect the PI to the d-link router and your laptop. once you are on that sub network, you can find the PI's IP address and log into, change the settings to DCHP and you will be all set. hen you can put everything back online with your original home network.

If you can't get set up any other way you can usually find one of these routers for 20 bucks used.

Good luck

░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄
░░▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░░░░░░░░░░▀█▀█
███░░░▄██████▄▄░░░██
░░░░░█████████░░░░██▌
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░░████████████████
███▄░░▀██████▀░░░███
█▀█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄███
░░▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
░░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
Ripmixer
░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄
░░▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░░░░░░░░░░▀█▀█
███░░░▄██████▄▄░░░██
░░░░░█████████░░░░██▌
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░░████████████████
███▄░░▀██████▀░░░███
█▀█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄███
░░▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
░░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
jnano

Activity: 301
Merit: 74

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 08:19:03 AM

You don't need to buy a router preconfigured to a certain subnet in order for a PC to be in that subnet. Smiley
You just set the IP on the PC to whatever you want.
Steamtyme
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 2036

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 08:36:33 AM

You're right, but as I explained in my post when I was trying to do that with my laptop I didn't get it to work, so I'm providing them with a work around if they can't get this set up.

░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄
░░▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░░░░░░░░░░▀█▀█
███░░░▄██████▄▄░░░██
░░░░░█████████░░░░██▌
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░░████████████████
███▄░░▀██████▀░░░███
█▀█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄███
░░▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
░░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
Ripmixer
░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄
░░▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░░░░░░░░░░▀█▀█
███░░░▄██████▄▄░░░██
░░░░░█████████░░░░██▌
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░░████████████████
███▄░░▀██████▀░░░███
█▀█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄███
░░▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
░░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 2242

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 08:42:38 AM

Yup. One of the annoying things Cannan seems to do is NOT use DHCP by default and set their devices to 192.168.0.x.

Question: Is there any interest for me to post a slightly hacked version of their firmware on box or something *after* I've set it to dynamic DHCP? That could help you the poster.

Man I should go to bed....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: