Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 05:09:12 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Switching from ETH to ETC: what causes a reboot if both on Ethash?  (Read 213 times)
davemanet (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 02:09:51 AM

Hi All,

I have fairly consistent Ethereum mining rigs that have been stable for weeks.

I recently switched to ETC.  It's on Ethash but is causing restarts.  What can possibly be the cause of this?
wacko
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 03:13:33 AM

Are you using the blockchain drivers (or the latest regular ones with the load switch set to "compute")? The same miner software, the same settings?
Did you check the logs — both the miner's and the windows logs (anything suspicious in the miner's logs and what's the error code in the windows logs)?
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2017, 03:20:10 AM

To add to what wacko said, the crashing must have something to do with other factors such as miner software or overclocking.
Given that its the same algorithm, it should just be as simple as changing pools, while still using the same miner.

If you can provide more detail we may be able to help you more.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
phuocduong

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 03:34:12 AM

sometime, maybe same algo crash too... you can setup new windows and re-install all
davemanet (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 04:36:06 AM

Hi All, thanks for the replies so far.  I'm using SimpleMining, which runs Claymore in Linux.  The cards are overclocked and dual mining ETH + DCR.  They were running stable for 2 weeks.

I switched to ETC + DCR, it ran and then occasionally a rig would reboot. 

It's very odd to me because many people have said that switching between coins in Ethash should be the same.

Maybe ETC takes up more power?
wacko
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 05:15:41 AM

It's very odd to me because many people have said that switching between coins in Ethash should be the same.

Maybe ETC takes up more power?
It shouldn't. Maybe dual mining with claymore is working somehow different for ETC+DCR than for ETH+DCR. Though very unlikely.

One crucial thing missing from your description — does ETH+DCR work now? You said you were mining ETH+DCR for 2 weeks without any problems. Then you switched to ETC+DCR recently, and you're having problems with the rig restarting. Did you try going back to ETH+DCR? Cause if you didn't, then there's a chance that ETH+DCR isn't stable anymore as well and it just could be something not related to ETC in any way.
tadeus1

Activity: 140
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 06:16:46 AM

What OC settings you have?  What GPUs?   What is your Power supply, etc.

As others said, please give some more details so we can give proper guidance. Everything else is lucky guess.
szafa

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 06:51:43 AM

Cpu temp.gpu oc ,simpleminning ,intensity.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: