Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 06:17:44 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ZCash - are there any miners that can do AMD and NVIDIA cards on same rig?  (Read 357 times)
JohnWave (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 03:27:42 AM

Hello there!

From what I can see I can only find either dedicated AMD or NVIDIA card ZCash miners.

Does anyone know of an mining software that can leverage both AMD and NVIDIA cards on the same rig?

Thank you in advance for you feedback!
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2017, 06:13:22 AM

Hello there!

From what I can see I can only find either dedicated AMD or NVIDIA card ZCash miners.

Does anyone know of an mining software that can leverage both AMD and NVIDIA cards on the same rig?

Thank you in advance for you feedback!

There are lots of mining software that can handle both AMD and NVIDIA cards. Take for example, Claymore's dual ETH miner. It easily supports cards from both manufacturers and you can even dual mine other coins. I suggest you look at the stickied topics or do more research. Google has a wealth of knowledge on setting up mining rigs.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
JohnWave (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 01:27:01 PM

jmigdlc99,

Thank you for the reply!

My question was specifically towards ZCash miners that would be bale to support both AMD an NVIDIA cards.

From all my research I can only find miners for ZCash that only support AMD or NVIDIA, not both.

My current setup is all AMD RX 480's but I have been having issues getting my hash rate up so I was hoping to get an NVIDIA 1080ti which has a superb hash rate but it would be pointless unless I had a miner that supports both AMD and NVIDIA cards for ZCash similarly to the ETH example you provided.

--
JW

andydis

Activity: 43

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2017, 01:43:36 PM

you can run two miner programs on the same rig

one for AMD
and one for NVIDIA
halker2010

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

The harder your life is the more meaning it has.

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 01:59:27 PM

jmigdlc99,

Thank you for the reply!

My question was specifically towards ZCash miners that would be bale to support both AMD an NVIDIA cards.

From all my research I can only find miners for ZCash that only support AMD or NVIDIA, not both.

My current setup is all AMD RX 480's but I have been having issues getting my hash rate up so I was hoping to get an NVIDIA 1080ti which has a superb hash rate but it would be pointless unless I had a miner that supports both AMD and NVIDIA cards for ZCash similarly to the ETH example you provided.

--
JW

my suggestion is to run claymore zcash miner for amd and zm zcash miner for nvidia because right now there is no miner that can handle both in one instance simultaneously.
JohnWave (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 04:52:20 PM

I will give that a shot!

So since the overhead is actually on the GPUs and not the OS fro mining then this should work.

Makes sense!

Thank you all for the responses!
JohnWave (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 04:07:38 AM

Hello there!

I so did get my EVGA 1080ti card in today and tried to mine with the existing (5) AMD RX 480s and new (1) EVGA 1080ti SC2 card.

I did disable Windows 10 automatic driver updates as a precaution so I could control which drivers were installed.

The driver installed fine and the OS did see the new EVGA 1080ti card.

HOWEVER, only (3) of the (5) existing AMD RX Radeon 480s were detected as GPUs and (2) were NOT detected as GPUs. They showed up in Device Manager with the yellow triangle exclamation marks.

All (5) were detected, however on the (2) that are not functioning from Device Manager it says:

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

I read elsewhere that I should try to update the driver manually on the ones that didn't show up as GPUs and is still had the same result. Windows said everything was fine with the drivers.

The Motherboard does have a "mining" feature which is indeed set to enabled.

My current hardware configuration is:

BIOSTAR TB350-BTC AM4 AMD Motherboard (6) PCI-E slots
     16GB RAM
     AMD A6-9500 Bristol Ridge Dual-Core 3.5 GHz Socket AM4 CPU
     240GB SSD Hard Drive
     Enermax Platimax PC 1350 Watt PSU (Power Supply)
     (6) PCI-E risers
     (6) AMD RX Radeon 480 cards
     (1) NVidia EVGA 1080ti SC2 card

Any advice/suggestions welcome!

Thank you in advance!

--
JW
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 04:20:28 AM

If you moved cards to a diffrent PCI-E slot check in Device Manager ===> View ===> 'Show hidden devices' and remove any hidden GPU's shown. If you have Bios modded cards you may need to run the pixel patcher to bypass the signature check and reboot. If that dosen't solve it, remove all the GPU drivers in safe mode using DDU and shutdown. Connect only the AMD cards and install the driver and patch the signature check. Once the cards show up in Device Manager and are working, shutdown and connect the Nvidia card and install the driver.
Kubston

Activity: 21

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 04:22:17 AM

You can run both of card just install amd and nvidia drivers and everything will work well.
JohnWave (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 04:24:42 AM

@Vann - that was it!

I had thought I patched all my AMD cards but that wasn't the case!!!

Thank you very much!

Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 04:30:50 AM

The pixel patcher needs to be run any time you update the driver or install a new card. When you install a new card or move a card to a different PCI-E slot, Windows will automatically install the driver for that card and you will need to run the patcher. It also keeps an identifer for the card in each PCI-E slot in the registry, which is why you should remove any hidden devices in Device Manager to prevent conflicts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: