Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 06:43:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What were the main factors that affeted your decision to participate in an ICO?  (Read 234 times)
bxndxx (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 09:11:39 AM

Hi All,

I'm curious to know what turned you off a particular blockchain ICO and what excited you to participate in one?

What metrics do you use to choose one or to stay away?
Was token allocation a factor? was price a factor? team background etc. , obviously the technology.

Was there red flags? green flags?

There's a lot of experienced coin / token holders in these forums, so very interested to have a listen and learn?

soham

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 10:03:17 AM

There are multiple factors that plays in the background. Let me list a few for you.

1. Team: It is the most important check you need to conduct before you invest anything in a particular ICO. Check the linked in profiles of the team members. Fake and newly created accounts can be easily identified. So if you see all profiles were new, most probably they are fake and created for this  ICO only. That's one red flag.

2. Real world business: There are many ICOs running currently without having any real world business. They are promising to create a platform for something related to technology and have a roadmap like any other ICO. Follow their twitter account and see their activities. I have seen few ICOs like BananaCOin, Bankex etc, are really active in the social platform and continuously updating their activities. They post the pictures of their offices, press meets, Business meets and various other activities. This will give you an idea about the company, whether it's real or someone is operating from their home to scam away some money.

3. Product: This factor actually depends on you. I myself is confident in investing in exchange platforms. These type of business may have some future feasibility. But if someone is promising to build an AI for the blockchain and use a lot of technical verbiage to specify their products without showing the business side of it, keep them in your avoidance list.

4. Intuition: This factor belongs to you only. Use your own intuition before investing in any ICO. Hear what your gut feelings say and proceed accordingly.

Hope this helps!

▄████▄       
██████       
▀████▀       
▀██████      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   
▄▄█████  ▄██████████████████▄
▄██████▀██  ████████████████████
▄█████▀    ▀  ████████████████████
▄█████▀         ███ ████████████ ███
██████▀          ███ ████████████ ███
███████           ███ ████████████ ███

▄████▄                  ███████   
██████                 ▄██████     
▀████▀                ▄█████▀     
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ▄    ▄█████▀       
▄██████████████████▄  ██▄ █████▀         
████████████████████  ██████▀▀           
████████████████████  ██████▄             
███ ████████████ ███                     
███ ████████████ ███                     
███ ████████████ ███                       
  [    |    ████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███            ▀████████
███  ███████  ▄  ▀██████
███           ██▄  ▀████
███  ███████  ████▄  ███
███                  ███
███  ██████████████  ███
███                  ███
███  ██████████████  ███
███                  ███
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
  ] 
FACEBOOK  )   (  TWITTER  )
  SUBSCRIBE NOW!!! 
INSTAGRAM  )  (  LINKEDIN  )
HALLASTERA

Activity: 252
Merit: 12

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 10:16:00 AM

Most things for me it's all about team.
Their visions, ideas. Problems, solutions - it's main criteries for business.
Kr-sama

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 11:01:31 AM

There are multiple factors that plays in the background. Let me list a few for you.

1. Team: It is the most important check you need to conduct before you invest anything in a particular ICO. Check the linked in profiles of the team members. Fake and newly created accounts can be easily identified. So if you see all profiles were new, most probably they are fake and created for this  ICO only. That's one red flag.

2. Real world business: There are many ICOs running currently without having any real world business. They are promising to create a platform for something related to technology and have a roadmap like any other ICO. Follow their twitter account and see their activities. I have seen few ICOs like BananaCOin, Bankex etc, are really active in the social platform and continuously updating their activities. They post the pictures of their offices, press meets, Business meets and various other activities. This will give you an idea about the company, whether it's real or someone is operating from their home to scam away some money.

3. Product: This factor actually depends on you. I myself is confident in investing in exchange platforms. These type of business may have some future feasibility. But if someone is promising to build an AI for the blockchain and use a lot of technical verbiage to specify their products without showing the business side of it, keep them in your avoidance list.

4. Intuition: This factor belongs to you only. Use your own intuition before investing in any ICO. Hear what your gut feelings say and proceed accordingly.

Hope this helps!
That's a nice list. I understand that you said that you'll just list a few but I feel like it is missing an important factor. And that is their Roadmap. You need to look at the roadmap of an ICO because this is where they place all the important dates for their project. Like when are they going to release their product or when are they going to develop their product. These are important because you will know if the team behind it really has plans for the future. If they really plan on improving their project.
Icaxx

Activity: 168

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 11:33:12 AM

For me is very hard choice. Since so many ico out there make me more confusing.
I am not really know for sure what tne main factor of my decision.
Actually i just following my friend to particilate in ico. He has important information related ico and make decision and i am following him.
bxndxx (OP)

Activity: 3

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 12:33:42 PM

Thank you for all the advice and insight.

What about in regards to token allocation?

I've seen an ICO with 25% going to the team and early investors, 25% going to the foundation and 50% being sold to the public in the ICO.

What's a good token allocation to be looking for?
cryptician12

Activity: 28

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 02:02:07 PM

Two other things that I think worth mentioning:

1. You want to see an active community discussing that particular ICO - if you don't see people actively debating the strengths and weaknesses and how they can be solved, then it's probably not going to catch on...

2. I was always a little suspicious of ICOs that offer a bonus structure, and this is something that Vitalik Buterin also recently mentioned in one of his tweets. If they have to offer you a bonus to buy into their ICO early, then they're all about the hype rather than the actual product content. It could also mean that they don't believe in the product themselves and it won't survive in the long-term.
mward19

Activity: 26

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 04:47:29 PM

For me it comes first to the roadmap is it a good idea or even project. After that how many coins will there be in circulation in most cases i like under 100m but, thats just me.
geyayy

Activity: 588

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 07:57:13 PM

For me, the main factor that affected my decision in participating in ICOs is their token, their token's price, if it is good and pleasing to my eyes, I will search or find their whitepaper to see what this ICO is about. I will do a thorough research first before joining.

okala

Activity: 980
Merit: 114

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 08:38:26 PM

To me what motivates me to invest into an ico projects is the technology behind the project, the teams and how it was advertised on bitcoin forum.  I do always invest into most project I have promoted. I read the white paper in other to find out the mind of the team and try to study the road map.  I have been doing this successful.
Mahanton

Activity: 2716
Merit: 630

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 09:38:34 PM

Hi All,

I'm curious to know what turned you off a particular blockchain ICO and what excited you to participate in one?

What metrics do you use to choose one or to stay away?
Was token allocation a factor? was price a factor? team background etc. , obviously the technology.

Was there red flags? green flags?

There's a lot of experienced coin / token holders in these forums, so very interested to have a listen and learn?

As an investor you would normally search for green and red flags before you would decide to put up money on a particular ICO. On my side, i do always seek out first on their whitepaper and on the team behind it. If i can see the transparency and the product that they do proposes and saw that it is good and does have potential then this is the time i do put up risk on buying that one.Investing on these ICO are just like gambling since you would need to take a risk but somehow would able to have basis since you would need to analyze which one is worth it.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████