Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: IOTA  (Read 618 times)
codeash

Activity: 65
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 07:45:57 AM

I have heard mixed views from people on IOTA. Some say this is future while some say to stay away from this. But I don't like much risky investments so I am not going to invest in IOTA.
AmericanBit

Activity: 630
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:50:23 AM

IOTA is not too bad, it has not bad concept, I think it will get more stable, along with price stabilization on the crypto market, and then it will grow up. Cannot predic percentage of growth, but i am hopeful about this coin.
giogio0504

Activity: 322
Merit: 3

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:56:37 AM

I do not like this coin, it has nothing that convinces me that i can benefit from it. At first sight the idea was not good, but now i am little bit disappointed about it.
MadMac

Activity: 756
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:59:45 AM
Last edit: January 25, 2018, 09:24:22 AM by MadMac

Please see the other discussions.

This coin has major design flaws, like using a private key to login without any protection, the problems with hashing, and many people got robbed already and will get robbed in the future.

Further more the development team tries to sit such issues out and does not take any action to solve or mitigate them.

Last but not least they spread fake news, like a cooperation with Microsoft, which was just a bubble to promote the coin.

German police in Hessen and Berlin is now investigating them.
Alex_nutis

Activity: 140
Merit: 11

Thank you for +Merit

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 08:09:33 AM

Back in 2012, people could not imagine crypto-currencies, which perform the functions of a blockchain, but do not have it. And now this technology already exists. Those who do not believe in it, I recommend reading the work of Sergei Popov, describing the technology of Tangle, based on the DAG, which he wrote in 2016.

deviltasha

Activity: 308
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 09:10:32 AM

I do not like this coin, it has nothing that convinces me that i can benefit from it. At first sight the idea was not good, but now i am little bit disappointed about it.

Absolutely, I was also attracted at the beginning, but now it looks that it will not have success.
ThatsABity

Activity: 116
Merit: 36

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 09:50:10 AM

Please see the other discussions.

This coin has major design flaws, like using a private key to login without any protection, the problems with hashing, and many people got robbed already and will get robbed in the future.

Further more the development team tries to sit such issues out and does not take any action to solve or mitigate them.

German police in Hessen and Berlin is now investigating them.

My god... this is absolute nonsense. The people being hacked used scammy online seed generators, which is of course pretty dumb. Please realize the product is still in beta, and these user-friendliness issues will all be resolved once the new wallet is out in a few weeks. The trinity wallet. Police investigating? Source? You can't blame others for being careless, lol!

Problems with hashing has been discussed hundred times. And have already been answered by IOTA in their blog: https://blog.iota.org/.

All I want to say: DYOR people. IOTA is ready to take their deserved position in top 3 coming months. Backed by Bosch, and now also Volkswagen. These huge companies are not going to back IOTA if they don't see the huge potential.

EDIT: i recommend to read the following articles for better understanding:
https://medium.com/@iotasuppoter/iota-why-the-fud-makes-sense-82a2f1dc38d5
https://blog.goodaudience.com/why-keeping-your-iota-makes-sense-75e8a74cf2ee
https://blog.iota.org/2017-in-review-2018-in-preview-704177484ef0

Be smart, don't spread FUD, but investigate and think about what the platform you're investing in has more to offer than IOTA.
ThatsABity

Activity: 116
Merit: 36

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 09:57:55 AM

Absolutely, I was also attracted at the beginning, but now it looks that it will not have success.

Why do you think this, because you read a few FUD-posts? I can't understand people do not research a platform but just believe some random people on the internet spreading false information.
MadMac

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 10:07:12 AM

Spreading FUD, huh? You can read more about the recent theft here, and this happened before.

https://forum.helloiota.com/9284/Call-to-action-lets-catch-the-thief

It remains a major design flaw to use a private key, which they call seed, to log into ones wallet. No authorization at all implemented.

generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 10:21:46 AM

Spreading FUD, huh? You can read more about the recent theft here, and this happened before.

It remains a major design flaw to use a private key, which they call seed, to log into ones wallet. No authorization at all implemented.

Show me where the Devs promised more than a barebones wallet?

It's annoying how many people who invested in IOTA without acknowledging that its goal was M2M and are now crying foul that there isn't an idiot-proof P2P wallet.

Wait for Trinity, learn how seeds work or leave it on an exchange.

poGium

Activity: 56
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 10:40:13 AM

I have just looked at your thread. I am sorry that your coins have been stolen, but to me it looks like you've used a service without any thought, which is obviously dangerous to the security of your wallets. Why do you entrust the creation of your seeds to a third party? Either you have not been in the "crypto world" for so long and therefore you do not know so well and did not know how important the seed is or are you
fundamentally irresponsible. No one who has experience in crypto would entrust the creation of the seeds to a third party! And no, I'm not an IOTA fanboy and I do not own any IOTA.

It's annoying how many people who invested in IOTA without acknowledging that its goal was M2M and are now crying foul that there isn't an idiot-proof P2P wallet.

That's how I see it too! Thank you!
Tenten92

Activity: 113
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 10:51:51 AM

I do not think it's worth the investment. find out at it
MadMac

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 11:04:27 AM

I have just looked at your thread. I am sorry that your coins have been stolen, but to me it looks like you've used a service without any thought, which is obviously dangerous to the security of your wallets.
Yes, exactly, it is not only "my thread". Many people got funds stolen and it is not only 4mUS$ as reported in some news, more likely in the 3 digits numbers. Theft is still reported every day here and most people probably did not even realize this yet.

Can only share this so people realize how dangerous this investment is. So far I know that police in 2 states in Germany (Hessen and Berlin) are investigating the heist.
poGium

Activity: 56
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 11:33:24 AM

Can only share this so people realize how dangerous this investment is. So far I know that police in 2 states in Germany (Hessen and Berlin) are investigating the heist.

Investments are usually always risky. So that's not because of IOTA. That you lost your coins is mainly up to you because you have entrusted your private seed to a third party. Maybe you should stop blaming others and see that you have made mistakes.
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 11:37:04 AM

I have just looked at your thread. I am sorry that your coins have been stolen, but to me it looks like you've used a service without any thought, which is obviously dangerous to the security of your wallets.
Yes, exactly, it is not only "my thread". Many people got funds stolen and it is not only 4mUS$ as reported in some news, more likely in the 3 digits numbers. Theft is still reported every day here and most people probably did not even realize this yet.

If you go to a random guy on the street to make your house key or give you a safe code, you need your head examined--learn how seeds work or don't "Be your own bank."

Seriously, this is beyond stupid.

MadMac

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 11:49:36 AM

Obviously you have no clue of what you're talking about.

But let me explain it, a seed in your comparison would be your rental contract, or your house document (authentication), Your monthly rental or purchase price would be your accounting. And authorization would be the key to your house.

The latter IOTA forgot to implement.

Clear now?
bhoybitcoin

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

“Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics”

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 11:57:02 AM

Investments are usually always risky. So that's not because of IOTA. That you lost your coins is mainly up to you because you have entrusted your private seed to a third party. Maybe you should stop blaming others and see that you have made mistakes.

Yes that's true. Possible mistakes are there so you can re-study the actions that you made. Don't blame others because sometimes it is the traders who made mistakes.

MadMac

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:01:12 PM

It is good that this discussion stays on top here, still many people did not know that they have been robbed. And looking at the constant flow of new theft reports at

https://forum.helloiota.com/9284/RE-Call-to-action-lets-catch-the-thief

it appears this is still going on at large scale.
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 12:03:42 PM

Obviously you have no clue of what you're talking about.

But let me explain it, a seed in your comparison would be your rental contract, or your house document (authentication), Your monthly rental or purchase price would be your accounting. And authorization would be the key to your house.

The latter IOTA forgot to implement.

Clear now?

Anyone implicity trusting a unknown site to create a random seed is trusting the access to their funds to a stranger--either change the key (random char) or don't bother.

My analogy is apt as the seed is what you need to get in the house/safe--a piece of paper won't give you this acces or prevent a theft from someone with a key.

Again, where did the devs promise more than a bare bones wallet? Nice you have ignored this detail. Dom said he didn't want the Foundation building wallets--that includes idiot-proofing them.

You did a stupid thing, own it.

MadMac

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:08:40 PM

You still did not understand it. Get some basic knowledge in information security.

Have to blame myself here too, as this was prone to happen sooner or later. It happened before and it will happen again, if they don't fix it, it is a major design flaw.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: