Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:14:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Accounting for the nonzero asset corporation. The MPEx standard.  (Read 3505 times)
MPOE-PR (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 10:54:55 PM

But now we know a bit more about "goodwill". Is it used in the same way in this accounting standard as described in the wikipedia quote? (If somebody wants to cite a better source than wikipedia, that would be great too)

Fundamentally, the account plan has three account types in it: 1, 2 and 3.

One is stuff that's for all practical purposes liquid BTC. If a payment out of 1 is decided, the operator getting through his payment mechanism is the highest latency of the entire process. This is pretty well equivalent to the fiat notion of cash, wherein the time it takes the person to get their wallet out/sign the check/type the pin is the larger hurdle.

Two is stuff that certainly has a BTC value, but that value may not be as liquid. This is pretty close to the fiat notion of tangible property, such as your house or a car or a coffee table book about coffee tables. While it's clear that the stuff has some resale value, it's not clear exactly what it is, and moreover that would probably depend on how much time is available. You'll get a better price for your house or for the coffee table book if you get to wait for buyers rather than have to be a seller.

Three is stuff that has no BTC resale value. It just can't be sold as an item, like your experience of a soda can's fizzle can't later be sold by you as such. This stuff is however not exactly worthless, in the following perspective: if we're trying to recreate the company from scratch it may be a required cost. This contrasts with buying the company to strip it down, like in a liquidation, in which case we simply ignore the third account. There's no convenient synonymous concept for this third account in fiat, like we had cash and "tangibles" for the other two. For the sake of comprehensibility it was named "intangibles and goodwill", not as two separate items but as a single term, to denote all that which isn't cash and isn't resellable on its own. You can't distinguish the "goodwill" part of the third account, and contrast it with the "intangible" part, as it's one single account and not thus divisible. The compound structure of the name just reflects an inadequacy of the English language for this application and not more.

This three-account approach has the advantage that while still keeping things simple enough (and indeed for the fiat-formatted minds "too simple"), it also brings into accounting focus the foremost valuation problem, which is to say the difference between corp-valuation-as-is versus corp-valuation-as-it'd-cost-to-rebuild-from-scratch. People with any experience in the VC game will instantly recognize these as "what the VC would like to value at" and "what the founders would like to value at", respectively.

Once we grok this much we might move on, but so far a) we're too full of our own farts to grok why we should working our butts off to grok it in the first place; b) we're not really there yet anyway, as there's precious little actual entrepreneurship going on and c) it might turn out it is actually good enough.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Peter Lambert

Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 07:44:03 PM

Just to make sure I understand:

account 1 (cash) would include things like: USD, bitcoins, and 10 shares of S.Dice
 account 2 (tangibles) would include things like: a house, a car, 1000000 shares of S.Dice
 account 3 (intangibles) would include things like: my college diploma - I paid a bunch to get it and it is definitely worth something since it helps me get a job, but there is no way for me to sell it.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 10:48:40 PM

account 1

Dollars are not particularly liquid and certainly not cash. They're at best account 2, soon to move to 3 I imagine, unless them people get their shit together presto. By the same token a car is not liquid. So if what you meant is, "I'll take this accounting system and apply it as if the USD was a unit of account" then I guess you did it right.

account 3

In the perspective where "you" are a company that somehow got a college diploma, yes.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Peter Lambert

Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 02:28:27 PM

account 1

Dollars are not particularly liquid and certainly not cash. They're at best account 2, soon to move to 3 I imagine, unless them people get their shit together presto. By the same token a car is not liquid. So if what you meant is, "I'll take this accounting system and apply it as if the USD was a unit of account" then I guess you did it right.

I guess that depends on what sorts of arrangements you have made for conversion of USD to BTC. I see no reason why you could not have set up with other parties a quick conversion route? The quickest route would be to hand people cash and have them send you btc, but if that is not reasonable then if they trust you enough then once you initiate the USD transfer they could send the btc right away.

account 3

In the perspective where "you" are a company that somehow got a college diploma, yes.

right, I was trying to think of something applicable to me which would be an example of this category, and that is the first thing that came to mind.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 07:57:20 PM

I guess that depends on what sorts of arrangements you have made for conversion of USD to BTC. I see no reason why you could not have set up with other parties a quick conversion route? The quickest route would be to hand people cash and have them send you btc, but if that is not reasonable then if they trust you enough then once you initiate the USD transfer they could send the btc right away.

I'm not saying that dollars shouldn't be liquid, though. I'm just observing they aren't really. But this is really a minor point anyway, the larger point is to get people thinking in BTC. That's half the battle.

EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 09:21:27 AM

Amazing! Wow!  When self absorbed diletante like Popescu is starting to blather about his standards, you know it's going to be a comedy hour. Really pathetic one, but still comedy.
Let's put our hands together and give this gypsy sociopath and his eager PR clown one more round of applause.

Only way anyone can get exited over this nonsense is if you have 0 understanding why and how business operates and why and how accounting/finances work. Actually, you need to have 0 experience and complete lack of mental ability to understand wtf is happening.
Mircea Popescus understanding of finances is a joke. He has no real life experience in finances and this is painfully obvious.

LOL, and you, MPO-PR, keep humiliating yourself by copy/pasting your masters drivel to this forum.  Every village needs an idiot and you 2 are filling this role famously. Keep up the good work comedy!

And one more round of applause!

You can start your angry whining noẃ.

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 10:16:23 AM

EskimoBob, try lithium. I've seen it work wonders.

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
EskimoBob
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 11:25:45 AM

I guess your must be talking form your own experience and I am glad, it helps you with your bipolar disorder.

BTW, did you even read this crap he wrote? Seriously. His absurdity is only good for hiding real numbers and make an empty sacks, like hes scams are, to look good.
If you do not believe me, it's OK. I do not take it personally. Please show this nonsense to someone who understands finances and let them explain it to you.

BTW, this guy has problems understanding financial concepts like asset and equity, no wonder he needs to invent his own distorted ways of making sense of it all. LOL.

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 11:38:32 AM

I guess your must be talking form your own experience and I am glad, it helps you with your bipolar disorder.

BTW, did you even read this crap he wrote? Seriously. His absurdity is only good for hiding real numbers and make an empty sacks, like hes scams are, to look good.
If you do not believe me, it's OK. I do not take it personally. Please show this nonsense to someone who understands finances and let them explain it to you.

BTW, this guy has problems understanding financial concepts like asset and equity, no wonder he needs to invent his own distorted ways of making sense of it all. LOL.

From the experience of friends; I'm told it takes a few weeks to really take hold, which is much too drawn-out of a buzz for me.

Regardless of my feelings about MPOE-PR, having to read through your posts is no better. Petty insults, thinly veiled racism, and boorish sarcasm, oozing vulgarity. There's a lesson about irony here, if you care to look for it.

It's not even a question of whether or not I "believe" you, it's a question of whether your words hold any weight, given the way you've chosen to present them.

Protip: tone down your rhetoric about five notches, and people might start taking you seriously over time.

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 11:53:49 PM

ok you have a lot of very interesting points. i dont see why others dont like you.

Generally, because they don't. But they'd love to.

Protip: tone down your rhetoric about five notches, and people might start taking you seriously over time.

He was trying that sometime last year. He neither has the emotional/mental stability to pull it off over extended intervals (above, say, half an hour) nor really much of anything to say outside of the froth.

He did contribute to the general pile of lolz surrounding Bitcoin the fabulous idea of a PMB that does no hashing. Literally, some sort of "Spend BTC to buy shares in the profit made by ovens. They don't hash but they do produce waste heat!". Supposedly revenue was going to be generated from the pocketbooks of various...artists.

With ideas like that you can readily understand why we'd keep him around, the man's a walking, talking parody.

EskimoBob
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 08:20:22 AM

ok you have a lot of very interesting points. i dont see why others dont like you.

Generally, because they don't. But they'd love to.

He was trying that sometime last year. He neither has the emotional/mental stability to pull it off over extended intervals (above, say, half an hour) nor really much of anything to say outside of the froth.

He did contribute to the general pile of lolz surrounding Bitcoin the fabulous idea of a PMB that does no hashing. Literally, some sort of "Spend BTC to buy shares in the profit made by ovens. They don't hash but they do produce waste heat!". Supposedly revenue was going to be generated from the pocketbooks of various...artists.

With ideas like that you can readily understand why we'd keep him around, the man's a walking, talking parody.

LOL, wtf are blabbering now? You must be talking about yourself to yourself... this is sad indeed. Get some rest, sockpuppet.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: