Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:05:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggest GPU  (Read 655 times)
Bimmber (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 03:21:42 AM

Seems like it will be two rigs - one AMD, one Nvidia. Each can mine some coins better than other. Thank you for all your help.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lostpike

Activity: 62

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 03:33:19 AM

Why two separate rigs? Get a Biostar Motherboard TB250-BTC PRO and go 6 Nvidia/6AMD
harishamilineni

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 04:15:53 AM

The best GPUs for cryptocurrency mining 2018

http://digitalbodha.com/the-best-gpus-for-cryptocurrency-mining-2018.html
Bimmber (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 03:47:42 PM

Why two separate rigs? Get a Biostar Motherboard TB250-BTC PRO and go 6 Nvidia/6AMD

No issues with drivers/mining software when mixing cards?
BennyT

Activity: 259
Merit: 108

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 03:52:35 PM

Sooooooo much easier and less headaches with nvidia cards. It wasn't always the case. I used to prefer AMD, and I wish it was still the case but it's now a breeze with Nvidia. I wouldn't buy any new AMD cards unless it was the deal of the a lifetime.
solarion

Activity: 966
Merit: 513

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 03:53:58 PM

No issues with drivers/mining software when mixing cards?

Yes bro you no need to worry about the mixing cards in the one mother board. You can add the Nividia cards and Rx series cards together. Personally I did not tried about this but my friend who is mining with the GPU rig is doing that. I only mine the ethereum with the 6 numbers of rx470 cards.
It gives around 130+ MH for mining the ethereum. Cards will differs and give the hash power according to the coin you choose for mining.
flip4flop

Activity: 378
Merit: 135

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 03:54:33 PM

I would keep them separate as well.  NVIDIA is always less of a headache than AMD cards.  While AMD can mine ETH and Cryptonight better than NVIDIA, I still prefer to use NVIDIA cards to mine all the other options that are out there.  I would set up two rigs if you want to have both cards and save yourself the hardware troubles.
Bimmber (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 03:55:08 PM

RX480 not available for sale any more, at least in UK. Shame.
Bimmber (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 04:04:21 PM

Don't save your money on PSU. About GPUs. Buy the cheapest and the best, but nobody knows which GPU this is Smiley

Yes, read that so many times. Some advise to even use server PSU`s, they are much better quality. But I`m not sure they would have connectors for let`s say 4 Vega or Ti cards.
mombay

Activity: 299
Merit: 256

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 04:07:36 PM

i would buy both nvidia and amd instead of just buying one of them. why?there's ton of possibility out there. at one point you will experience high diff situation, which lessen your income. with rigs from both amd and nvidia you'll have plenty of choice to survive, find another coin that still give you maximum profits.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
A.Delaney

Activity: 266
Merit: 13

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 05:54:59 PM

Based on that website. The 1080ti is the best card to mine with.
tadeus1

Activity: 140
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 06:53:32 PM

the 'best' most expensive probably. Lots of coins to mine on this one.
I would say Vega 56 and the 1070s follow next, then RX5xx.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 09:27:26 PM

That website is a joke - no facts presented, just blurbs.

The "best" card depends a lot on what you want to mine - and which has the best ROI varies, often day to day and sometimes hour to hour as difficulties and prices change on the various coins.

RX 470/480 pricing of late when you can find them at ALL have tended to be higher than pricing on the newer RX 570/580 - performance is more or less a tossup between them, depending on the coin and memory size as much as the model in some cases.
 Outside of Ethash (ETC/ETH/related) mining and POSSIBLY Monero mining, they're only so-so on hash/watt and hash/$ - but they've VERY GOOD at Ethash mining and fairly good at Monero.
 Might be some other "small niche" coins they rock that I don't know about, but when you're talking altcoin GPU mining ETH and ZEC are the BIG TWO - all others are small in comparison.

Vega - outside of Monero and EVEN THEN only if you can get them at fairly close to MSRP on the reference cards, they're beat badly on hash/$ on everything else I've seen hashrates posted for.
 On Monero though they are the current KING if you don't get gouged badly by the price killing your hash/$.

GTX 1080 ti - is the highest hashrate on a lot of coins, but is often beat on hash/watt and hash/$ by lower-end Nvidia cards like the 1070 ti - though it's usually CLOSE, and it can make rig management easier to have fewer cards.
 Not a BAD choice, just not always the best depending on your goals.

GTX 1070 - it's flexable and can mine a lot of different coins well, but almost never the best by any measure.
 Call it the "Utility Infielder" of mining - good at many things, but not a star at any of them.

That site doesn't even mention the GTX 1070 ti - the current KING on mining Equihash coins (ZEC/ZCL/ZEN/related) efficiently (Titan V beats it on hash/watt but is HORRIBLE on hash/$) and quite good at the other members of the list of "Nvidia friendly coins".

Then there is the issue of "the next generation" tending to shake things up - right now, that's the upcomming NVidia 20xx "Volta" cards, due out in a few months (one comment by an EVGA employee in their forums I remember was talking about "Feb/March" as a timeframe for the first consumer Volta cards).
 Based on published mining tests on the Titan V, it looks like the Volta cards are going to be roughly 25% more efficient than the current Pascal line - and AMD isn't going to have an answer to them at all for months after THAT.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
H1X360

Activity: 34

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 09:58:53 PM

What about mining with a stack of old generation GPU's?
I have a bunch of 7950's laying around which I used to mine litecoins way back in 2012.
Are they still good to use or will elecricity fuck me over and I am better of buying a few rx 480 / 580 ones?
baga105

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 10:43:27 PM

What about mining with a stack of old generation GPU's?
I have a bunch of 7950's laying around which I used to mine litecoins way back in 2012.
Are they still good to use or will elecricity fuck me over and I am better of buying a few rx 480 / 580 ones?

It depends on how long do you want to mine with them... Measure how much power they need to mine equihash algorithm. The speed is almost the same as the rx 470/570.. Mine 7950's are doing arround 240 on equihash... I got them for free, so i only pay for electricity Cheesy

Ass, Gas or Grass! No one rides for free!
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 05:58:35 AM

7970 = R9 280x as I recall.

They're so-so ETH miners, ballpark 14 Mhash as I recall, with "proper" overclock settings.
 Fair ZEC miners, I want to say ballpark 300 sol/s

Power cost IS an issue with older cards like that, but they should be profitable as long as you're not paying crazy-high rates like Hawaii or much of Southern California.

Might also look into using them on the Milkyway BOINC project to earn Gridcoin with - Tahiti has VERY good FP64 performance that project needs.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: