Bitcoin Forum
June 08, 2024, 08:58:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggest GPU  (Read 655 times)
Bimmber (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 01:47:34 PM

Hi guys,

I`m new to mining, been reading a lot lately to get understanding how it works. I have spare money to invest, looking to build a rig. But my problem is - AMD or nvidia GPU`s? As per current pricing/availability looking at 1060 or RX580 cards - about 15 in total. Why these? To me they look best price/performance/payback time ratio. Which GPU is able to mine wider range of coins? As coin I`m mining increases in difficulty, I would like to switch to other one. But apparently some coins are mined much better on AMD, some on nvidia. Dilemma.

Thanks
VRobb

Activity: 1610
Merit: 538

I'm in BTC XTC

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 02:12:22 PM

Since this is the bitcoin section, this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2017600.0

I don't believe in superstition because it's bad luck: 13thF1oor6CAwyzyxXPNnRvu3nhhYeqZdc
These aren't the Droids you're looking for: S5 & S7 (Sold), R4B2, R4B4 (RIP), 2x S9 obsolete, 2xS15-28, S17-56, S17-70
Pushing a whopping 1/5 PH!  Oh The SPEED!!!
Bimmber (OP)

Activity: 210

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 02:34:00 PM

Could mod please move my thread to correct area. Sorry for a mistake. Thanks.
tadeus1

Activity: 140
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 10:54:35 PM

AMDs good for eth and cryptonight algos
Nvidia good for equihash , cryptonight (bit lower than AMDs but still ok) and may be lyra/neoscrypt but has specific tweaking for those 2 algos.

Nvidia I think could be configured easier to consume less Watts, if you care.  Usually Nvidia's needs some tweaking to find the sweet spot. May be a bit more versatile in terms of algorithms.
AMD is easier. Mod bios , start and forget but based on my experience consumes a bit more power.

Get whichever is cheapest GPU Smiley  Either AMD or Nvidia would work out.
Invest in good PSU i my advice.

ambien22

Activity: 20

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 11:03:05 PM

By no means do I want to hijack your thread, but I've had the similar question. I'm personally not looking to make huge profits and get rich quick but mining as a hobby and hitting ROI would be nice.

I've seen some speak about increase in difficulty in some common alt coins that could phase out AMD cards. I'm still doing a lot of research if it will be all AMD cards or just the lower end cards with low memory (i.e. 3 gig cards). This same logic could be true about NVIDIA cards as well that have 3 gigs.

I'm interested in seeing others responses but wanted to throw in another way to look at the AMD versus NVIDIA angle.
baga105

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 11:16:35 PM

Don't save your money on PSU. About GPUs. Buy the cheapest and the best, but nobody knows which GPU this is Smiley

Ass, Gas or Grass! No one rides for free!
tadeus1

Activity: 140

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 11:23:59 PM

Bimmber:  Another suggestion that comes to my mind since you want to get 15 cars.

get half AMDs, half Nvidia Smiley   
You would have to decide how many per rig, calculate Power supply specs/power needed etc. and go for it.
Atomicc

Activity: 301
Merit: 31

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 11:28:08 PM

Try to find the best price: nVidia 1060(6GB) or AMD RX470, RX570 (4GB)
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 11:54:33 PM

Hi guys,

I`m new to mining, been reading a lot lately to get understanding how it works. I have spare money to invest, looking to build a rig. But my problem is - AMD or nvidia GPU`s? As per current pricing/availability looking at 1060 or RX580 cards - about 15 in total. Why these? To me they look best price/performance/payback time ratio.

I guess you've done some part of your reading assignments

Which GPU is able to mine wider range of coins? As coin I`m mining increases in difficulty, I would like to switch to other one. But apparently some coins are mined much better on AMD, some on nvidia. Dilemma.

Thanks

Nvidia could be a plus when it comes to wide range of coin mining, however it may seems so pricey compared to AMD.

as what other suggested, you may get both, its a wise choice for me as you may consider or foreseen future difficulties, you still have your trump cards waiting for you just in case you may need to switch coins.
Pendrak

Activity: 208
Merit: 46

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 02:11:39 AM

Get AMD cards, all my rigs are AMD cards RX 580 and VEGA 64. All perfect.

I have all the RX 580 cards with ETHOS.

RX VEGA 64 cards with Windows 10.
killerelite

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 02:57:50 AM

Go for amd if you want to just plug and mine ethereum almost all the time and you are relatively new
Go for nvidia if you want to have better profits at the expense of researching niche coins and holding coins till better price for selling
I my self have gone both since on some days nvidia gives better profit and on others its amd , I mostly sell eth mined by amd to pay for bills or to add more cards , sell only coins mined by nvidia when I gain a reasonable profit from them
baga105

Activity: 362

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 03:03:30 AM

Go for amd if you want to just plug and mine ethereum almost all the time and you are relatively new
Go for nvidia if you want to have better profits at the expense of researching niche coins and holding coins till better price for selling
I my self have gone both since on some days nvidia gives better profit and on others its amd , I mostly sell eth mined by amd to pay for bills or to add more cards , sell only coins mined by nvidia when I gain a reasonable profit from them

Sell the ETH for paying the bills.. This reminds me to my yougner days when i sold 50 ETH just to pay the electric bill.. Imagine if I hold this ammount of ETH until today.. Wink

Ass, Gas or Grass! No one rides for free!
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 03:09:07 AM

Bimmber:  Another suggestion that comes to my mind since you want to get 15 cars.

get half AMDs, half Nvidia Smiley   
You would have to decide how many per rig, calculate Power supply specs/power needed etc. and go for it.

This would be the optimal solution.  You would be able to compare your cards side by side and gain more insight this way.  If you decide you want to go all in on one or the other you could sell and buy what you want.  For now the cards hold their price pretty well.  No telling how long that will last though.
ivakar

Activity: 756
Merit: 507

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 03:17:17 AM

Hi guys,

I`m new to mining, been reading a lot lately to get understanding how it works. I have spare money to invest, looking to build a rig. But my problem is - AMD or nvidia GPU`s? As per current pricing/availability looking at 1060 or RX580 cards - about 15 in total. Why these? To me they look best price/performance/payback time ratio. Which GPU is able to mine wider range of coins? As coin I`m mining increases in difficulty, I would like to switch to other one. But apparently some coins are mined much better on AMD, some on nvidia. Dilemma.

Thanks

I'd say the best choice now is amd vega - and a rig with four of them. It is hard to make it work really stable if there would more vegas then four, though it is possible.  You can mine any cryptonight based coins - monero, electroneum and still get like $5-7 per card a day.
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 06:56:06 AM

NVIDIA 1060 or RX580, If I choose RX580, U can search for information and compare the hashrate, power consumption and more. Although both have their respective advantages on specific algorithms.

min1217ac

Activity: 21

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 08:47:18 AM

Hash rate RX580 is better than 1060 in monero, zcash but power consumption 1060 lower than RX580.

tenebriscaelum

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 09:09:07 AM

I have checked prices in newegg and amazon right now the AMD RX 580 8gb and GTX 1060 6gb is around the same price(around $280 to $330). So if you want to have a better hash rate go for the RX 580 8gb since they are the better performers in mining but if you really want to save electricity (which I doubt you would unless electricity in your area has a high cost) then buy the GTX 1060 6gb. I would suggest to get the RX 580 because of the hash rate if it is cheap or in stock if you could only get a few of it the go for a GTX 1060 6gb but you might want to have a separate rig for it since you might end up having trouble if you will mix cards.
Darmold

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 12:01:06 PM

Why you don't buy 1070 cards? I think they are best bang for a buck overall.
But that is just my two cents

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
kizumin

Activity: 131
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 12:17:57 PM

First of all, you have to choose between AMD GPU and nVidia GPU or red team and green team in short

██                      ►          ⦁               1xBit.com     │     S p o r t s b o o k   &   C a s i n o               ⦁          ◀                      ██
                  WELCOME BONUS UP TO 7 BTC!                  ♣
██  ██████████████          ■                   30+ ALTCOINS AVAILABLE                   ■          ██████████████  ██
crocozino

Activity: 420

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 12:28:23 PM

nvidia cards generally more user friendly to beginners, imho!
so that is why I would recommend take gtx1060 3gb and mine ZEC or btcGold   - any equihash coins
if you have more budget - try to find 1060 6gb with samsung memory - then ETH mining is open for you as well
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: