Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 08:06:35 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ddr3 mobo ddr5 gpu  (Read 165 times)
gster (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 08:11:32 PM

So my old mobo doesn't support gddr5 pci I know for a fact that the cards will work but will I lose mh doing so
gt_addict

Activity: 2520
Merit: 622

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 08:13:12 PM

And.....? Why dont you buy a new mobo thats more upto date to run your cards?

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 08:37:35 PM

GDDR3 was specified in 2002, while GDDR5 was first demonstrated in 2007.
If your motherboard is so old that it doesn't support a 2007 standard, you shouldn't use it. You will run into a host of other issues that I won't even bother to mention.
Honestly hashrate will be the last of your problem.

Just get a cheap, up-to-date motherboard with a Celeron CPU.
gster (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 08:42:17 PM

If your motherboard is so old that it doesn't support a 2007 standard, you shouldn't use it. You will run into a host of other issues that I won't even bother to mention.

not much issues as I can put the 580 in and it will run pubg with 0 problems but I guess I should change my question to Has anyone run a ddr5 card on a ddr3 mobo pci and had any loss of hash
Rickirs

Activity: 206
Merit: 20

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 08:49:12 PM

not much issues as I can put the 580 in and it will run pubg with 0 problems but I guess I should change my question to Has anyone run a ddr5 card on a ddr3 mobo pci and had any loss of hash
Why not try it yourself, I suppose it should work  because system RAM has little to do with GPU VRAM in terms of mining especially or does it ?
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 08:50:33 PM

Until this year I was mining with a Dell XPS 700 with DDR2 RAM and PCI-E 1.1 slots. I still use it as a test bench and have RX 580's that get 32 MH/s+ dual mining on it. As long as there are enough system resources you shouldn't have a noticeable performance loss, especially using powered risers. The main issue you may have is if the card draws a lot of power from the PCI-E slot instead of the VGA power connector. Older motherboards don't support constant high power draw through the PCI-E slot as more modern motherboards.
gster (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 08:54:35 PM

Until this year I was mining with a Dell XPS 700 with DDR2 RAM and PCI-E 1.1 slots. I still use it as a test bench and have RX 580's that get 32 MH/s+ dual mining on it. As long as there are enough system resources you shouldn't have a noticeable performance loss, especially using powered risers. The main issue you may have is if the card draws a lot of power from the PCI-E slot instead of the VGA power connector. Older motherboards don't support constant high power draw through the PCI-E as more modern motherboards.
Thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: