Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:35:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens if i delete block from my Computer?  (Read 842 times)
OracionSeis (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 07:19:56 PM

APPDATA>ROAMING>Bitcoin there is alot block downloaded estimated 9.30 GB what happens if i delete those ?

Time off to sleep ... ( ̄︶ ̄)~
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 07:20:44 PM

APPDATA>ROAMING>Bitcoin there is alot block downloaded estimated 9.30 GB what happens if i delete those ?

Your client will have to re-sync, and you won't be able to use the client much until it does re-sync.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 07:23:12 PM

If you want to get rid of this, you could use one of the light wallets, e.g. Electrum.

Also be careful: the wallet.dat in APPDATA>ROAMING>Bitcoin contains all keys to your Bitcoins.
OracionSeis (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 07:26:02 PM

If you want to get rid of this, you could use one of the light wallets, e.g. Electrum.

Also be careful: the wallet.dat in APPDATA>ROAMING>Bitcoin contains all keys to your Bitcoins.

I use bitcoin-qt if i pass on Electrum how do i transfer my coins to that ?  ( copy and paste wallet.dat?

Birdy

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 07:31:20 PM

I use bitcoin-qt if i pass on Electrum how do i transfer my coins to that ?  ( copy and paste wallet.dat?

I think Electrum uses another file format.
You could transfer them to an online-wallet (I would recommend http://blockchain.info/) and then transfer them to Electrum.
You could also just use the online-wallet instead of installing Electrum.

(For bigger amounts of Btc and long time storage I would recommend using a paper-wallet or cold storage)
OracionSeis (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 08:08:26 PM

I use bitcoin-qt if i pass on Electrum how do i transfer my coins to that ?  ( copy and paste wallet.dat?

I think Electrum uses another file format.
You could transfer them to an online-wallet (I would recommend http://blockchain.info/) and then transfer them to Electrum.
You could also just use the online-wallet instead of installing Electrum.

(For bigger amounts of Btc and long time storage I would recommend using a paper-wallet or cold storage)

Where can i find those ? paper wallet?

Birdy

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 08:49:46 PM

Basically, you write down the Bitcoin address and even more important the private key for this address on a piece of paper (or print it).
You can use the Bitcoin address to receive Bitcoins.
The private key is the your access to spend them. Everyone who has it can spend those coins.
Don't lose it, have a backup! If you've spent them once, it's best to create a new paper wallet.

This website is a good choice to create a Bitcoin address:
https://www.bitaddress.org
MaxMoney

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 09:00:38 PM

I use bitcoin-qt if i pass on Electrum how do i transfer my coins to that ?  ( copy and paste wallet.dat?

With Electrum you can import an address using "Private Keys"
OracionSeis (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 09:28:37 PM

Basically, you write down the Bitcoin address and even more important the private key for this address on a piece of paper (or print it).
You can use the Bitcoin address to receive Bitcoins.
The private key is the your access to spend them. Everyone who has it can spend those coins.
Don't lose it, have a backup! If you've spent them once, it's best to create a new paper wallet.

This website is a good choice to create a Bitcoin address:
https://www.bitaddress.org

What happens if i delete eveything except first block ?

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4660

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 10:35:35 PM

Then you will have to wait several hours for Bitcoin-Qt to re-sync by re-downloading them all.  Then they will all be back using up the same amount of space all over again.

If you don't want to store the entire blockchain, then you don't want to use Bitcoin-Qt.

Consider using one of the lightweight wallets:

blockchain.info has the ability to create a wallet from your existing wallet.dat file.  Just use this link:
https://blockchain.info/wallet/import-wallet

If you decide to use Electrum or MultiBit, you can just send your bitcoins from Bitcoin-Qt to your new wallet once you have it installed and have your new bitcoin address.

If you want to continue to use some of the addresses that you are already using from Bitcoin-Qt, then you'll need to search/read about importing private keys into whichever wallet you choose.
OracionSeis (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 12:09:31 AM

Then you will have to wait several hours for Bitcoin-Qt to re-sync by re-downloading them all.  Then they will all be back using up the same amount of space all over again.

If you don't want to store the entire blockchain, then you don't want to use Bitcoin-Qt.

blockchain.info has the ability to create a wallet from your existing wallet.dat file.  Just use this link:

If you decide to use Electrum or MultiBit, you can just send your bitcoins from Bitcoin-Qt to your new wallet once you have it installed and have your new bitcoin address.

If you want to continue to use some of the addresses that you are already using from Bitcoin-Qt, then you'll need to search/read about importing private keys into whichever wallet you choose.

i can say that i don't understand that part :S

OracionSeis (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 12:38:40 AM

and in electrum "roaming>electrum>electurm.dat" is that the file that i am suppose to keep in safe?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: