Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:27:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-07-02 BitcoinFoundation.org - Response to CA DFI Warning Letter  (Read 6171 times)
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 08:43:15 PM

From Bitcoin Foundation's legal representative:

The Bitcoin Foundation does not engage in any of these regulated activities.  Furthermore, even if it did engage in these activities, it does not have any business operations in California that would subject it to the Department of Financial Institution's ("DFI") jurisdiction.
-
The Bitcoin Foundation does not have business operations in California that would subject it to the DFI's jurisdiction. [...] The Bitcoin Foundation provides no direct money services to any California consumers.
-
The Bitcoin Foundation is not in the business of selling bitcoin to consumers and does not otherwise operate a bitcoin exchange.
-
Bitcoins are not written or signed notes or drafts, and therefore, are not payment instruments regulated by the California Money Transmitter Act.
-
There is no issuer of bitcoin that would be subject to licensure as a money transmitter under California law.
-
The fact that bitcoin does not fit within the definition of payment instruments or stored value does not mean it is automatically regulated by the money transmission prong.
-
The same rationale that applied to the sale of a peso should prevail under the California statute with regard to the sale of a bitcoin.
-
The Bitcoin Foundation requests that your office issue an opinion that [...] the sale of a bitcoin is not regulated under the California Money Transmitter Act.

Response of Bitcoin Foundation to May 30, 2013 Warning Letter
 - http://www.scribd.com/doc/151346841/Bitcoin-Foundation-Response-to-California-DFI

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 08:54:31 PM

Excellent. I really appreciate that they use the opportunity to ask for clarifications on the matter of Bitcoin sales within the response letter.

Engaging in a dialogue and not get in a defensive position and just dismiss the issue is IMO the right course.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
tuheeden

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 09:09:42 PM

This is an excellent response!

All bitcoin enthusiasts should read this. It does the best job that I have seen to qualify what bitcoin is and is not, from a money transmitter perspective but also simply from a "money" perspective.

Great work.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 09:15:38 PM

Epic  Smiley

bitfair

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 09:24:16 PM

Great response - essentially taking some negative attention and turning it into a huge win!
Fugger

Activity: 156
Merit: 10

Founder of Bitbond

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 10:15:49 PM

They definitely chose a good way to answer!

Token Tool by Bitbond
▬▬▬ Create, manage and multisend tokens on Ethereum, Binance Smart Chain, Polygon and Avalanche ▬▬▬
■ Twitter ■ Join Telegram
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 10:24:25 PM

at least they're doing part of what we pay them  to do :p
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 11:17:32 PM

Not to be too cynical, but I wonder if this was planned...

Granted California leads the way for the US, I'm curious if all the same arguments hold up in Ohio, or any other state for that matter.

Is this simply a defense for the California law, or also the FINCEN guidance?

Either way, awesome job Foundation!

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Mytche

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 04:34:02 AM

Bitcoin Foundation, I think you just scored some major points.
BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 06:30:55 AM

I still wish they'd have used the word "Nincompoop" just once in the response!

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
d'aniel

Activity: 461
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 06:41:55 AM

Boy, I sure am glad we have Bitcoin Foundation to help fight the legal battles Wink
scrybe

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 07:43:10 AM

Bravo!

"...as simple as possible, but no simpler" -AE
BTC/TRC/FRC: 1ScrybeSNcjqgpPeYNgvdxANArqoC6i5u Ripple:rf9gutfmGB8CH39W2PCeRbLWMKRauYyVfx LTC:LadmiD6tXq7gFZvMibhFUZegUHKXgbu1Gb
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 12:01:55 PM

Granted California leads the way for the US, I'm curious if all the same arguments hold up in Ohio, or any other state for that matter.

The FinCEN is guidance on enforcement and not basic law, and not adjudicated or even well clarified either.
So this response is based on California law.

"The same rationale that applied to the sale of a peso should prevail under the California statute with regard to the sale of a bitcoin."
The California law makes different distinctions from Federal law.
Federal distinguishes also between current money of a foreign nation and other payment instruments.  

If CA does issue a concurring opinion letter, that would be the epic win.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
sbfree

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 12:56:51 PM

wondering why this story, or rather the response, is not making more news headlines??
sbfree

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 12:57:52 PM

interested in MSANTORI's opinion on this response.....or anyone else who can poke holes in the response.
BlackLilac Jordan

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 12:59:52 PM

Really happy to see the Foundation using this situation to spread understanding of Bitcoin to officials and regulators, rather than simply covering their own butts. That's what we signed up for, keep up the good work!!
No_2

Activity: 901
Merit: 1033

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 01:18:21 PM

Agreed, good strategy.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 02:02:31 PM

wondering why this story, or rather the response, is not making more news headlines??
Nobody was killed or caught in infidelity?
How many July 4th hotdogs can a legal opinion letter sell?

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 02:05:31 PM

The FinCEN is guidance on enforcement and not basic law, and not adjudicated or even well clarified either.

"The same rationale that applied to the sale of a peso should prevail under the California statute with regard to the sale of a bitcoin."
Federal distinguishes also between current money of a foreign nation and other payment instruments.  

"If CA does issue a concurring opinion letter, that would be the epic win."

So FINCEN guidance is for enforcement of federal laws?  

Would the epic win be the same as Washington legalizing pot?  It's legal at the state level, but illegal at the federal level?  

Even though I understand you're saying it's not an "illegal" at the federal level, but merely interpreted to be illegal without registration based on FINCEN guidance which isn't exactly "illegal" but rather not congruent with their interpretation of existing rules which they (FINCEN?) would be required to enforce.

So the thoughts would be Cali says it's cool with this interpretation of Cali law, and then someone at the federal level says yeah, we think the same is a good interpretation of federal law/regulation, and then FINCEN issues guidance saying, yeah, I guess that's cool, so no registration necessary?

So a three step process?

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 02:25:23 PM

"If CA does issue a concurring opinion letter, that would be the epic win."

So FINCEN guidance is for enforcement of federal laws?  

Would the epic win be the same as Washington legalizing pot?  It's legal at the state level, but illegal at the federal level?  

Even though I understand you're saying it's not an "illegal" at the federal level, but merely interpreted to be illegal without registration based on FINCEN guidance which isn't exactly "illegal" but rather not congruent with their interpretation of existing rules which they (FINCEN?) would be required to enforce.

So the thoughts would be Cali says it's cool with this interpretation of Cali law, and then someone at the federal level says yeah, we think the same is a good interpretation of federal law/regulation, and then FINCEN issues guidance saying, yeah, I guess that's cool, so no registration necessary?

So a three step process?
There's a lot more steps in the journey.
Banking is regulated by states, there are 50 + some state-like geographies.
When it gets into inter-state issues, the federal jurisdiction gets more power.
The federal is broken into districts, the districts do not always agree.
If it is a constitutional matter, it can go to SCOTUS (supreme court of the US).

California is not a horrible jurisdiction if we were doing forum shopping.
NY is more banking centric, and California does things right sometimes, like this today:
http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/water_cooler/california-man-found-not-guilty-in-chalk-vandalsim-case-at-bank-of-america-branches

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: