Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:03:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for web developer in BTC business  (Read 855 times)
ThrillHou (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 15

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 10:34:23 PM

Hi Bitcoin Community,
I am starting a Bitcoin relevant website, and therefore need some web development for hire. You would be working remotely with myself and with my other developer, who will take care of the visual design/graphics aspect of the site, while you will take care of the back end functionality. (I tell you what to do, she tells you what to do, you do it, and I pay you)

(Very) Generally speaking, the site is roughly analogous to craigslist style functionalities. In fact, much of the code could probably be ripped from CL(or a clone) and altered slightly. 

Relatedly, I am also appealing to the Bitcoin community to help me wade through potential  scammers who will inevitably reply to this post… Cry
Know any honest and able web programmers who you can recommend???  Tongue

Oh yea, and I will pay in BTC. If interested, reply here or PM me.
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
QuantumKiwi

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 10:52:56 AM

Interested, let me know the details and rate of which happy to pay for development.

We have a lot of people who ask for development and get it done and we end up not getting payment at all.

So, sometimes its the developers that get scammed too...

Starting your own website?
CLOUD Hosting from $4.95/0.05BTC!
cardcomm

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:22:48 PM

If you're just looking for a "coding monkey" this listing my get results for you. If you need an experienced web developer, you might want to re-think your stated requirements.

First off, an experienced developer will have MUCH more to offer you than just "doing what you and your UI designer tell them to do". It's their job to tell YOU how the application needs to be coded and designed. Their recommendations would be based on a number of things including your system requirements or overall site design, your overall budget, number of projected users, future scalability requirements, etc.. You and your visual design person "telling them what to do and them doing it" WILL result in a failed project.

Also, suggesting to potential developers that your site is so easy that they could simply steal the code and modify it slightly isn't likely to endear you to the development community. You DO realize that developer make there living from WRITNG code? Having a prospective employer even hint at the idea of code plagiarism is a big no-no. (not to mention that taking backend code from an existing commercial site like craigslist would be highly illegal and technically challenging, to say the least.)

So with all that said, do you need a code monkey, or an experienced high quality Web developer?

Easily see your cgminer status with my cgminerLCDStats app:  http://cardcomm.github.io/cgminerLCDStats/
Did my post help you or make you laugh? Let me know with Bitcoins at: 1CQfpMHQ5zVuZ5i9uxSHSSx4J8ZhehSjn3  Smiley
ThrillHou (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 15

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:28:30 PM

Cardcomm,
You're right. I don't want a failed project, but I also don't want to fail by spending all my capital on website development at the getgo when all I really needed to do was get something simple up and running. For me to imply actually ripping off the code wholesale was hyperbole, sorry bout that.

Unfortunately, I fear the costs of an expensive developer and the concept of the site I wish to create is relatively simple and straightforward, with few frills. So... I dunno can someone quote a decent rate for a "code monkey" vs. "experienced developer"?
QuantumKiwi

Activity: 322

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 10:57:24 PM

Coding monkey - $20-30 an hour. Experienced developers - $160 per hour ( This is what we charge )

Starting your own website?
CLOUD Hosting from $4.95/0.05BTC!
xps435

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 03:06:27 AM

Cardcomm might come off a little demanding but has some great points; a quality developer is going to have an open dialog and will offer recommendations to give you the most bang for your buck. A code monkey will say "yes, yes, we can do that, yes" to everything just to get their foot in the door. Focus on the core features, the experience you want to give the user (craigslist plain and simple), and budget. Inform the developer you have intentions for scaling this project in the future, but scalability is not your focus. (Most sites can scale well, unless you're building the next facebook).

QuantumKiwi is spot on with the 20-30 range for a code monkey. Occasionally, this is exactly what you need; particularly if its just a small utility for yourself. Take advantage of this if you need something right now and are willing to throw it away when you have more capital to do it right. (Never build on a code monkeys project; start fresh). When it comes to a public facing site you'll definitely want to invest in a quality developers/designers.

I work as a professional web developer (mostly domain layer) and I can assure you a competent developer can be found for far less than 160/hr. I would argue that the type of project you're looking for, you can find someone in the $60-80 range. I would recommend spending a little extra money on the design of your site. Its the designers job to make sure its laid out intuitively for the user, the color scheme makes sense, branding, and all that good stuff. A user will accept a broken feature or two, albiet annoyed, but they won't accept a butt ugly site. Its easy to fix a bug, its difficult to rethink the design.

Also, when you get a rate and an estimate on the hours, figure in an additional 10%. There's probably a few extra features you'd like in it before go-live. Scope creep happens all the time and project owners always seem to forget to factor it in Wink

Good luck. [Btw, Cardcomms insights are exactly we look for when hiring developers; its easy to teach someone how to code, its difficult to teach them how to think.]
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 09:05:19 AM

Relatedly, I am also appealing to the Bitcoin community to help me wade through potential  scammers who will inevitably reply to this post...  Cry

Help you wade through the potential scammers that'd be ripping off some site or what were you saying?

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: