Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:29:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-07-01 Mkshft.org - Thin Wire (Hawala networks)  (Read 2579 times)
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 11:39:28 PM

Thin Wire
by Philippa Young

This article doesn't mention bitcoin whatsoever, but describes an industry that is begging for the arrival of Bitcoin.

Hawala, hundi, chiti, chop, and dozens of other names describe a system that moves billions of dollars across grey and black markets, faster and cheaper than your local bank."
-
Before insurance and high-speed travel, moving large amounts of bullion by sea or camel-led caravan was not only slow but also incredibly risky. The answer? Never move the money.
-
In its infancy, hawala created a safe and smooth journey for long-distance merchants, facilitating the first movements of globalized trade. Fast-forward a few hundred years, and hawala has a less celebrated reputation.
-
For families in developing countries supported by diaspora relatives, hawala is a lifeline.
-
Hawala is recordless. With just a name and telephone number, you can transfer thousands of dollars across continents.
-
Just one month from now, First Somali Bank will launch a system to allow diaspora communities of Minnesota and London to send remittances from their mobile phones directly to a recipient’s debit card in Somalia— signs of attempts to formalize hawala’s informal success.
-
The system differs from neighboring Kenya’s M-PESA system in that the money goes directly into the recipient’s bank account. Each person becomes his or her own hawaladar.
-
If money makes the world go round, then hawala is the undervalued engine coughing out a cloak of grey-black smoke.

- http://mkshft.org/2013/07/thin-wire

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 11:42:54 PM

And a recent thread on the topic:

Bitcoin essentially displaces hawala.  With hawala there is this set of transactions in two locations which is only possible due to a linkage of trust between the two parties facilitating the "transfer".  With bitcoin, a transfer of fiat is simplified into two domestic exchange transactions, independent from each other.  One is the buying of bitcoins at one location and the other transaction is cashing out the bitcoins at another.

Ever hawalder essentially can essentially go independent and offer Bitcoin exchange service, ... up to a point.

At most it would mean finding trustworthy people who already have the capital to invest.       

The problem is the street-level hawalder agent handling the cash-out needs to quickly turn over the bitcoins received right back into fiat.   So the street-level hawalder needs a nearby low-cost exchanger who will buy the hawalders bitcoins and pay out cash.  

So there is a capital requirement is essentially for providing exchange service where held is an inventory of cash to be able to buy every bitcoin that the street-level hawalder wishes to sell.

When I see how there are 50,000 M-Pesa agents in Kenya who earn income to supplement their income, (including many who earn so much from it that's all they do), it is a natural that individuals looking to earn a little money by providing bitcoin exchange will figure it out.  But what they need help with to get started is a way to turn the bitcoins they bought back into cash.

Down the road this will probably be like a hierarchy.  You have the street-level exchangers buying bitcoins and paying maybe 8% below spot.  That level may seem a little high but it is necessary due to the time involved to provide this service (arranging and meeting face-to-face is time consuming) and to protect against the risks -- exchange rate risk where the value fluctuates after the exchanger buys the coins after completing a buy from a customer but has not yet sold them.   Other risks include receiving counterfeit bills (though with proper training that risk can be lowered) and physical security (i.e., handling cash can be dangerous).

But then if that street exchanger can visit (or get a visit) from a broker-dealer who will convert those bitcoins back to cash at about a 2% to 3% fee then the amount of money earned makes it worth it for the street exchanger to provide the service.   The broker-dealer itself might have a trusted party that the coins are flipped to immediately (wholesale, close to spot rate) so that there is no exchange rate risk exposure and exists is a fairly quick method of replenishing the dealer's inventory of cash.  

The reason the street-level exchanger doesn't just send the coins to an exchange is because that would involve the banking system, and either the costs or the settlement delays associated with the banking system are prohibitive.  And exchange is probably a regulated activity so the street-level exchanger wouldn't use a bank regardless.  Even the broker-dealer probably won't use the banking system either.  

So essentially, this eventually has tiers like any supply chain.  The street-level exchanger buys coins from the public and sells them to a broker-dealer (the next level up in the hierarchy).  Then the broker-dealer trades those coins up to a wholesaler (who has the banking relationships and / or relationships with large buyers.)

But this hierarchy isn't necessary to get things started.  All that is needed are for the two parties (prospective buyer and prospective seller) to learn that each other exists.  These relationships can be learned from attending a local meetup, or from a classified ad on craigslist even.

LocalBitcoins is essentially the closest thing to a hawala network that exists with Bitcoin today as I can (and have) used that to do a three-party transaction.  I as the seller contacted the buyer in a far away location.  The buyer met with the person who was to receive the cash.    That person sent me a text saying the buyer was there with the cash, I released the funds, and the buyer handed over the cash.     My recipient of the funds didn't know anything about Bitcoin, except that Bitcoin had made it possible for some person to show up at a certain time and hand over some cash -- no names, no phone numbers, no ID, no nothing.  The only technology that was needed at the hand over of the cash was a couple text messages between me and the person receiving the funds.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

btceic

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 11:45:59 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2013, 12:14:14 AM by btceic

I truly believe that bitcoin should ingrain itself into the mainstream from the bottom up.

Imagine, billions of impoverished people around the world able to purchase goods and services with their phones or other portable e-wallet device.

We should take the Microsoft approach here and give away the tools for people to empower themselves and watch as we move from a $1 billion->$10 billion->$100 billion->$1 trillion market cap.

edit: anybody got a good Bill Gates book?

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 12:12:32 AM

Imagine, billions of impoverished people around the world able to purchase goods and services with their phones or other portable e-wallet device.

Helping to bridge the gap:

Convert bitcoins to M-PESA. Convert M-PESA to bitcoins. Remittances into Kenya today, thanks to @KipochiPay:
 - http://kipochi.com/blog/kipochi-launches-first-bitcoin-wallet-in-africa-with-m-pesa-integration

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

hgmichna

Activity: 695
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 12:42:28 PM

Convert bitcoins to M-PESA. Convert M-PESA to bitcoins.

Has anybody here ever seen anybody who did any of that? I believe it when I see it.

Too many startups go bankrupt and disappear with the bitcoins.
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 05:24:07 AM

Convert bitcoins to M-PESA. Convert M-PESA to bitcoins.

Has anybody here ever seen anybody who did any of that? I believe it when I see it.

M-PESA can be reversed if there is a claim of fraud, along the same lines as how a PayPal transfer can be disputed.   But with a seller's trust history being shown, there is information to the buyer to help prevent getting cheated.

We have added M-PESA option to traders in Kenya and Tanzania. M-PESA is a very popular payment method in those countries.
- http://localbitcoins.blogspot.com/2013/07/trading-bitcoins-using-m-pesa-in-kenya.html

Unfortunately, there are no offers yet for this payment method on LocalBitcoins.  Nor are there any offers to trade in-person for cash there. Here's Nairobi, for example.
 - https://localbitcoins.com/places/11450020/nairobi-kenya/

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █