Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:29:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cyperpunkers And Bitcoiners  (Read 1661 times)
kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 28, 2010, 12:29:51 AM
Last edit: December 28, 2010, 12:57:44 AM by kiba

Seem to me, that Bitcoiners are simply the latest in the long(short) line of techno-libertarians that can trace our origin to cypherpunkers and hackers.

I hypothesize that Satoshi himself IS a cypherpunk. That would explain his continued usage of svn in the age of git.

The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2010, 12:48:38 AM

On what ground and what's bad about svn? svn does have an established community and many programmers are familiar with it, git just addresses a more distributed scenario, which is not always needed.

I love bitcoins from an academic viewpoint, not so much the so celebrated anarchic, self regulating side.

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 28, 2010, 12:56:35 AM

On what ground and what's bad about svn? svn does have an established community and many programmers are familiar with it, git just addresses a more distributed scenario, which is not always needed.

Git addressed the same scenario better, for all intent and purpose.

SVN introduces unnecessary little latency to my work as I have to push it to a server. With git, I can make as many commits as I like and even work without internet connection. When I decide it's enough, I simply push it up.

em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2010, 01:18:58 AM

Linus Torvalds totally disses svn/cvs in this google tech talk video on git:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8

"When I designed git, it was 'what would cvs' never ever do. ...for the first ten years of maintaining linux, we actually used tarballs and patches, which are a much more superior method than cvs..."

and the dissing goes on thought his 1-hour presentation.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076

View Profile
December 28, 2010, 01:36:13 AM

Having been collaborating on free software for 9 years, having used CVS and then SVN... I can attest they're an affront to good development. git is smooth chocolate.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
December 28, 2010, 01:40:01 AM

SVN is just a way to give crappy CVS a few more years of life.  SVN has been on life support from its beginning.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2010, 05:22:09 AM

Back to the originl topic of the post it seems that those using bitcoin and cypherpunks, and Austrian economist libertarians or a mixture of both.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 31, 2010, 07:13:15 AM

I wonder whatever happened to Tim May.  I guess he is retired now.  He would get into heated arguments with so many people on the cypherpunk mailing list and then inevitably put them in his kill file.  Near the end he was probably only talking to himself, lol.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2010, 01:14:44 PM

I actually discovered bitcoin by browsing liberty-related topics on Wikipedia which led me to Wikipedia's page on crypto-anarchy, which introduced me to the cyperpunkers, and of-course, naturally, bitcoin.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2010, 02:20:33 PM

I actually discovered bitcoin by browsing liberty-related topics on Wikipedia which led me to Wikipedia's page on crypto-anarchy, which introduced me to the cyperpunkers, and of-course, naturally, bitcoin.

It was somewhat similar for me. I also came to the conclusion that the only tchnical defence against government was through cryptography. What they (the government) do not know they cannot control or remove.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: