Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:17:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on this private key stealing mystery  (Read 23045 times)
amaclin1

Activity: 770
Merit: 305

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 10:17:16 PM

It is impossible to assume that blockchain.info could be hack.
You've made my day.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2onl1y/at_least_hundreds_of_coins_were_stolen_from/

Bitcoin SV GUI client for Windows and Linux
https://github.com/AlisterMaclin/bitcoin-sv/releases

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1068

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 10:46:41 AM

And soon there will be many more people trying to steal coins from that kind of addresses.
Not many.
There are no more than a dozen people in the whole world who can create and
run such software. Keeping and updating in realtime the database is not simple and cheap task.

You can do a following test: send a small amount ( 0.0010 btc ) to "the most compromissed address"
1JwSSubhmg6iPtRjtyqhUYYH7bZg3Lfy1T sha("correct horse battery staple")
and count the sweep attempts here:
https://bitaps.com/1JwSSubhmg6iPtRjtyqhUYYH7bZg3Lfy1T
(this block-explorer shows conflicting transactions)

No more than a dozen.....lol... Roll Eyes
kahc

Activity: 350
Merit: 13

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 03:12:30 PM

And soon there will be many more people trying to steal coins from that kind of addresses.
Not many.
run such software. Keeping and updating in realtime the database is not simple and cheap task.

You can do a following test: send a small amount ( 0.0010 btc ) to "the most compromissed address"

No more than a dozen.....lol... Roll Eyes

I always thought that double-spender with the highest sending fee got favored. But it seems like the one with 312sat/B got included in the block first.
carlisle1

Activity: 2744
Merit: 541

Campaign Management?"Hhampuz" is the Man

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 10:13:18 PM

Wow  Shocked

Amazing discovery of a amazing coup. The guy who made this and the guy which discovered it are pure genious.

I am really excited to find out in which priv key generation code this thing is implemented.
hes really a genius and an expert in hes field,its one of a kind to find such discovery
but what made me think is how many people in crypto can do this kind of key generating
code hacking,hope this one will alarm the authorities to make precautionary measures.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 03:54:28 AM

Wow  Shocked

Amazing discovery of a amazing coup. The guy who made this and the guy which discovered it are pure genious.

I am really excited to find out in which priv key generation code this thing is implemented.
hes really a genius and an expert in hes field,its one of a kind to find such discovery
but what made me think is how many people in crypto can do this kind of key generating
code hacking,hope this one will alarm the authorities to make precautionary measures.

There is reason to suspect, and to look for more such issues.

btctousd81

Activity: 434
Merit: 270

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2017, 05:18:14 AM

first3 methods are nothing new, i saw the same methods in some video , posted here .

using merkle roto and tx id as a private key and generate bitcoin address.,

but its like shooting in dark.

Intersan

Activity: 641
Merit: 505

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 10:27:10 PM

Wow  Shocked

He have done a good work. I guess hackers are also upgrading their way of hacking and must come up with a new way of stealing. I do also hope that authorities will be concerned about it especially now that there are many new users in this forum. Bitcoin have attracted many attention when it reached $10 000 and of course it also looks so good in the eyes of hackers. We should always be careful.

dacsee

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 04:20:22 AM

Very interesting technical story.

Luckily that in today's age, most generated keys are derived from a high degree of randomness, instead of easily guessable keywords / phrases
amaclin1

Activity: 770
Merit: 305

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 07:15:19 AM

Luckily that in today's age, most generated keys are derived from a high
degree of randomness, instead of easily guessable keywords / phrases
Sure?  Grin

Bitcoin SV GUI client for Windows and Linux
https://github.com/AlisterMaclin/bitcoin-sv/releases
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 01:07:35 AM

Very interesting technical story.

Luckily that in today's age, most generated keys are derived from a high degree of randomness...

How do you know for sure?
Dr.Z

Activity: 16

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 01:19:52 AM

How comes Blockchain.info generates private keys using block hashes or tx id instead of random numbers. Who had the privilege to change the key generation methods?
bigvito19

Activity: 706
Merit: 111

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 08:03:15 PM

first3 methods are nothing new, i saw the same methods in some video , posted here .

What's the video link?
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2017, 08:09:21 PM
Last edit: December 05, 2017, 08:47:18 PM by BurtW

How comes Blockchain.info generates private keys using block hashes or tx id instead of random numbers. Who had the privilege to change the key generation methods?
The do not.  Stop spreading FUD.  Don't be an idiot, read the thread.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
J. Cooper

Activity: 294
Merit: 125

Alea iacta est

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 08:31:27 PM

Wow  Shocked

I fail to see what authorities have to do with this in the first place.

But regardless, super interesting find. I'm going to read up a lot more on this when I find some free time over the weekend.

Is there a way you can provide me with a link to that video. I would like to aquire some more information on this matter.
nibor

Activity: 438
Merit: 291

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 09:29:30 PM

Not many.

Make that only a few million.... bitcoinj.org and a few 1000 lines of java and you are done. Only need a 5-50 gig leveldb database...
Maybe a few days work plus another few to test it and get the sweep to work...
Dr.Z

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 01:49:23 AM

What I am saying who put those code there and why Blockchain.info did not aware that the key generation program had been modified.
kahc

Activity: 350
Merit: 13

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 01:53:30 AM

What I am saying who put those code there and why Blockchain.info did not aware that the key generation program had been modified.

If you did read the thread, then you must be smoking something good Grin
Blockchain.info checked their code repository, these addresses are not generated from them.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 03:58:03 AM

Nobody said they did.

Maybe it was a hacked wallet, or a key logger running on a computer whee the transaction occurred.
Dr.Z

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 05:41:44 AM

If you did read the thread, then you must be smoking something good Grin
Blockchain.info checked their code repository, these addresses are not generated from them.

It is well explained in the thread why it was not a hacked wallet. Because if someone hacked into the wallet, he was no need to import a "blockhash or txhash based address", just hardcode one will be good.
User365

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

physics, mathematics and engineering

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 10:23:14 AM

Nobody said they did.

Maybe it was a hacked wallet, or a key logger running on a computer whee the transaction occurred.

According to the facts of the OP I think it is safe to say that this was a dev of a company which implemented it into the code.

A malware would act different (f.e. Hardcode priv key's so nobody can recognize it)

[could be your ad]
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: