Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:52:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spread Bitcoin Day. BTC MoneyBomb. Send to email. Birthdays, special occasions  (Read 2242 times)
btc4ever (OP)

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 04:21:11 AM

Note:  I started this post to discuss the coinbase send-btc-to-email feature, and that sparked ideas that I am developing as I write the post. Please travel along with me.

So I remember back when PayPal was brand new, and it was very easy to use.  Just signup, fund account pretty much immediately with credit card, and then you could pay anyone with an email.

It was very viral, and helped PayPal grow rapidly.  And then it all went downhill, but that's another story.

So I got to thinking about how to do that with Bitcoin.  Ideally I would like to be able to send friends/family some bitcoins for birthdays, etc, and it should just work, without them having to download bitcoin-qt or even signup for any online account beforehand.

So I got kind of fired up to build a site that does this, but then I discovered that CoinBase already does it. Maybe that is common knowledge, but they don't really emphasize it on their home page. They talk more about buying btc with usd, merchant payments, etc.

But I think the "send bitcoin to anyone with an email" could be pretty big for spreading adoption.  Once people have a few bitcoins, they will look for ways to spend it, and that will help support existing bitcoin merchants.  To participate, one need only create a free coinbase (or other ewallet?) account, and fund it with a little bitcoin.  Then gift to your friends.

But let's run with this idea a little further.  To really get things rolling, maybe we could have a day every month that is "Spread Bitcoin" day.  ( or we can think of a better name. )

Having seen firsthand the effectiveness of the Ron Paul campaign moneybombs ( that raised 6+ million dollars in a single day in Dec 2007, and tens of millions more on subsequent dates ), I know that coordinated group action can accomplish some pretty amazing things, even in the face of media blackout.  I'm sure that any Ron Paul supporters in this forum will agree with this.

For anyone unfamiliar with a MoneyBomb, please watch these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsDlO2Lr_cg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCz-zpbhaGE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhK2yFtloM0

( or perhaps for some of you, just watch them to reminisce )

Here is what Wikipedia has to say about the MoneyBombs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moneybomb

Some of the key ingredients for a successful moneybomb are:

* A passionate base of people excited about a cause.  ( We have that in spades. )

* A specific goal to reach.

* Getting the word out to those people.  Website, Promotional Video.   Email list(s), Social Media.

* Tracking and publicizing results.  realtime donation counters, hourly/daily stats.  ( eg: http://paulcash.slact.net/ )    Answer to the question:  Have we reached our goal yet?  No?  I need to keep donating.

Ok, so at this point I am throwing this idea out for discussion.

Some topics to be resolved:

* Are there any showstoppers for this idea?

* Is it better to pick a known day every month, designated as "Spread Bitcoin" day, or just pick specific dates and causes as opportunities arise, eg themed for specific holidays?  ( The Ron Paul moneybombs achieved greatest success using the latter model. )

* If we choose a regular day, then what would be the best day for "spread bitcoin day" each month?

* What should our goal be for the first such event?

* What should we call it?   "Spread Bitcoin Day", "Bitcoin MoneyBomb",  "BitBomb", "Pay Bit Forward"Huh 

* How can we best promote it?  Ideas beyond what I listed above?  Can you help, please?

* Do other eWallets offer send-to-email functionality?    ( maybe blockchain.info? )    I have never personally used an online wallet.  Please share your experiences sending to email on coinbase or other (e)wallets.

* How can we track the total amount sent?   Blockchain analysis seems like a good start.  A big spike in daily totals would be gratifying.

* A modified version of this theme and good for PR would be to pick a charity with a known address, and everyone donate to it.  That would be super easy way to track results. 

If people like this idea and we decide to do it, we will need:

* everyone: to contribute ideas, help spread the word, and participate in the event.

* Web developer / designer to create a promo website

* Web developer / designer to create a widget / badge that can be put on sites around the web to raise awareness.

* Someone skilled in video creation to create some kick-ass promo video(s).

* Someone with ability to analyze the blockchain and display the results in simple/attractive format.

* Coordinator.  to facilitate communication between volunteers, keep everything on track and well, coordinate.

Let's use this thread to brainstorm and find volunteers.  If you are able to do any of the above, please say so.

Final Thought:   Even if we don't end up doing the big one-day type events, I highly encourage everyone here to consider funding a coinbase account (or any other ewallet account that supports pay-to-email) with a bitcoin or two and send some btc to loved ones and friends on their birthdays.   That simple act, multiplied a thousand-fold, could really help the btc economy and lift all boats.

Final, Final Thought:  Group discussion is great, but if you are skillful with video editing and have the right message.... you could make this happen all by yourself.  That's pretty much how the Ron Paul moneybombs got started.  A single pebble...

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btc4ever (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 04:29:26 AM

tl;dr

Let's have a Bitcoin Moneybomb!!!       :-)

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
btc4ever (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 04:41:52 AM

Another processor:

I just noticed that inputs.io announced themselves today and promise "bitcoins instantly to an email address".

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=248803.0;topicseen

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:28:37 AM

Yep Smiley

With Inputs.io, you can send Bitcoins to those who do haven't registered for Inputs yet. We send them an email  You're able to reclaim the Bitcoins you sent if they don't claim it, which makes this perfect.

Here's what you get (without the CSS formatting):

You received Bitcoins

Bitcoins are a new decentralized internet currency, and admin@glados.cc has sent you 0.03 BTC. To claim, you'll need to make an Inputs.io wallet

Create an account with this email address to claim

Note: The sender is able to cancel this transaction as we're not sure if you will claim or not. Act fast!

Thanks, the Inputs.io team
BitTrade

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 02:10:53 PM

Does anyone know how PayPal prevented fraud with their program where they gave free money to people referred by others via e-mail?
btc4ever (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 07:00:21 PM

I think there was less fraud in the beginning... it was a brand new concept and not so much on fraudsters' radar.  They probably just accepted fraud as cost of doing business for a while, but as it kept growing they invested more and more into anti-fraud detection measures and then implemented ACH funding,  started freezing accounts and reversing transactions, etc, etc.

Does anyone know how PayPal prevented fraud with their program where they gave free money to people referred by others via e-mail?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: