Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 04:38:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it still a viable option to mine with graphics cards?  (Read 1239 times)
ccosenza (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:28:29 AM

I'm interested in getting started mining and was wondering the best options?
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 05:34:08 AM

If you have the hardware on hand, GPUs should pay for their electicity usage until ASICS come online. Not all the ASIC companies appear to be reputable though.

Here is a mining calculator to for you to play with: http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:46:05 AM

It would be great if there is something like that for Litecoin too.
NiteShdw

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 06:01:08 AM

I would recommend that if you don't have an ASIC, to try Litecoin. The difficult is very low and there are no ASICs.  You can then use Vircurex.com to trade your LTC to BTC, if you need to.
xide

Activity: 88

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 06:14:38 AM

noboday can garant you that you will profit with gpus even with asic...

BTC: 1L3ZAawXD3NxH82CSF241ZNQBS25ovNZtb LTC:LMyCbS4hmmoQyBn3LNRxydsECDWoKbdL2V PPC:PEZFPZmzoVe7STyQrjgBa943dzmLHim1uo FTC:6g2rnASKaPmVvPmtJG5b4MnAWz8XSgwpVs
NMC: My7Ee36vC4eR1Pk1ucqZCMNXBpuL7SNbvZ tnx for donations!
zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

ADT developer

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 06:17:36 AM

if you need help just pm me of ask on my new forum  Smiley www.altcointalk.co.uk

El Extranjero

Activity: 103

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 07:37:12 AM

Not if you're mining BTC. You should dedicate your GPU miner to mining prominent alt coins and stick to either trading USD for BTC or purchasing an ASIC to mine BTC.

MineriaCloud

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 08:16:33 AM

To be honest, no.

You should try to mine Linecoins instead, which are a nice alternative. Unless you still have allot of GPU cards dedicated to Bitcoins, its not wise to start a new Bitcoin mining project with GPU.

ASIC should be the way to go, but ASIC supply is very limited right now.
bitbitcoins

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

bitbitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 08:19:13 AM

bad option by the time being ...

Keldel

Activity: 166

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:58:51 AM

It is profitable to mine if you have AMD graphics cards. Check all the various online mining calculators and see what's your break even point for electricity costs.

Don't buy any new GPUs for bitcoin mining, they will never pay off. The same with litecoin mining. Litecoin difficulty will raise dramatically.

MineriaCloud

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 09:08:40 AM

I agree with Keldel, if you have the hardware already do it, but do not buy new one or invest on it. It just does not make sense, in particular because you will be left out very soon, once all those other ASIC devices get online.

I assume even those just having a few ASIC devices will be left out vs the ones buying huge ASIC gears. Its still a risky investment, in particular because bitcoin is coming unstable until this transition is done. So some could earn money and others could lose everything.
iod_89

Activity: 6

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 11:00:26 AM

Либo ASIC, либo нa scrypt пepexoдитe
letuslook

Activity: 146

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 11:37:10 AM

I would probably not mine for Bitcoins with your GPU / CPU anymore as the cost for mining (investment in hardware & power) are getting higher and the rewards drops fast.

You can check out the ASIC (Application-specific integrated circuit) mining hardware if your really want to mine bitcoins.

Alternative crypto currency (Litecoin etc,)
Another thing you can do is mine the alternative coins with your gpu and cpu.

Good luck with it!

~ Luc
MineriaCloud

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 01:03:24 PM

As far as I see, all cryptos are flawed to fail to ASIC devices and less rewards as time goes on.

Is this bad? Is this good? Some say its natural and will make BTC stronger, others say its the doom of Bitcoin.

Regardless of what you think, I think its a bit sad that you can´t use CPU for anything anymore, even with powerful chips, they are pretty much useless, which means there is something wrong in this cryptos.

Imagine, having the most powerful servers in the market, and they would still do nothing vs an ASIC cheap device.

The main heart of this crypto coins is to main its nature of being P2P, I don´t see how that is possible unless devices arrive to consumers.

I was lucky to get some, and bough others from other people, and still waiting months for others to arrive, but unless you are heavily into bitcoin, I don´t think the usual users will put this money on a hardware that will be obsolete in a few months, because even with ASIC you need to keep upgrading and upgrading, to make it profitable. Its a hard business, mining this days.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 01:06:26 PM

0/10 trolling

I think its a bit sad that you can´t use CPU for anything anymore, even with powerful chips, they are pretty much useless, which means there is something wrong in this cryptos.
Bullshit.

MineriaCloud

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 01:26:14 PM

0/10 trolling

I think its a bit sad that you can´t use CPU for anything anymore, even with powerful chips, they are pretty much useless, which means there is something wrong in this cryptos.
Bullshit.

You must know right? How many ASIC devices do you own?

Besides mining bitcoins, and having a short life span they generate heat, and nothing more. By short life span I mean you can mine with them for a short period of time, and they are not profitable anymore unless you keep adding more or upgrade to bigger devices.

With standard chips, like Xeon, you can always resell them where you want, use them as web servers, email servers, Internet, you name it.

Someone investing 5,000$ in a server or standard computing hardware, will make its return 1000% faster than someone investing 5,000$ in ASIC device hardware. I know because I was in both routes.

ASIC devices for Bitcoins only work in massive scale and even then they will be useless eventually, because that is exactly how the network is designed, to keep increasing in difficulty.

So you are better an earlier adopter or have tons of cash to spend on them.
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:44:32 PM

I think the best is sell the cards, use the proceeds to buy Bitcoins
redtwitz

Activity: 231

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 09:04:52 PM

As far as I see, all cryptos are flawed to fail to ASIC devices and less rewards as time goes on.

Scrypt-based coins require considerable amounts of fast RAM. That makes scrypt ASICs more difficult to construct and a lot more expensive.

Regardless of what you think, I think its a bit sad that you can´t use CPU for anything anymore, even with powerful chips, they are pretty much useless, which means there is something wrong in this cryptos.

I disagree. A coin that can be mined primarily on CPUs is extremely vulnerable to 51% attacks. A single botnet would suffice to kill the coin.

Imagine, having the most powerful servers in the market, and they would still do nothing vs an ASIC cheap device.

The servers can't sweep the floor either, while a cheap broom excels at it.

Someone investing 5,000$ in a server or standard computing hardware, will make its return 1000% faster than someone investing 5,000$ in ASIC device hardware. I know because I was in both routes.

Well, that depends entirely on what you're buying. If you actually tried an ASIC device, I suspect you fell for those USB ASIC miners. Not that they're bad, but they were incredibly overpriced at launch and are still on the expensive side.
Bananery

Activity: 108

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 09:39:00 PM

Too late for GPU, maybe if you have very cheap electricity it's worth it. But return isn't much. I wouldn't bother building a GPU mining machine even with very cheap electricity. Asics are hard to get, maybe order KNC miner or invest bitcoins into securities.
zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

ADT developer

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 09:45:25 PM

only if your mining altcoins

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: