Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 01:32:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you purchase less than a token share?  (Read 189 times)
Jimmy905 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 11:59:14 AM

Hi there.  Just wondering if it was possible to buy less than a share in bit coin like half a share or something like that? If anybody could let me know, I would appreciate that.
HeRetiK
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 2092

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 12:23:27 PM

Hi there.  Just wondering if it was possible to buy less than a share in bit coin like half a share or something like that? If anybody could let me know, I would appreciate that.

Bitcoin currently has 8 decimal places, so yes, you can buy fractions of a bitcoin. 8 decimal places puts the smallest possible amount of Bitcoin at 0.00000001 BTC, but in practice anything less than 0.001 BTC is currently impractical to transact. If you buy on an exchange, accounting for withdrawal fees, the lower practical bound would probably be at around 0.01 BTC.

More detailed explanation here:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Help:FAQ#How_divisible_are_bitcoins.3F
bear100

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 12:26:23 PM

Yes, you can buy not the whole Bitcoin, but some part of it. But be careful about the transaction fees. The more you pay the fee, the less time transaction needs to be mined.
I heard about one guy, who wanted to test the Bitcoin and sent 10,000 Satoshi. And the full amount was taken by miners) Cheesy
Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 05:12:18 PM

Bitcoin currently has 8 decimal places, so yes, you can buy fractions of a bitcoin. 8 decimal places puts the smallest possible amount of Bitcoin at 0.00000001 BTC, but in practice anything less than 0.001 BTC is currently impractical to transact. If you buy on an exchange, accounting for withdrawal fees, the lower practical bound would probably be at around 0.01 BTC.

More detailed explanation here:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Help:FAQ#How_divisible_are_bitcoins.3F
I should also add that it is possible to add more decimal places to bitcoin in the future with a protocol upgrade. This is not necessary at all right now but it will be in the future should Bitcoin's price really soar. There will theoretically come a point where 1 satoshi (0.00000001 BTC) will be too expensive for day-to-day use, thus making such an upgrade necessary.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: