Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:58:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beginner with a few wallet & fee related questions  (Read 189 times)
pb14mph (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 03:54:13 PM

Hi everyone, I've put hours of research in over the last couple of weeks and still have some questions.

I got started on Coinbase about a month ago and purchased about $500 US dollars worth of BTC, ETH and LTC each. I'm going to be sending the currency I don't plan on using for daily purchases to GDAX, and then I'd like to place it into a wallet for 1+ years. Currently, the only wallet I have set up is through blockchain.info, so I have nowhere to place my ETH and LTC right now besides Coinbase, which obviously isn't where I want it. I do plan on getting invested into more alts in the near future so I've considered both Exodus and Jaxx. I don't believe I have enough invested right now to purchase a hardware wallet, but I do think that's something I will pursue down the road once I have more than a beginner's understanding of everything (Feel free to change my mind). A few questions I have:

1) I understand BTC has higher network fees regardless of which of the two aforementioned wallets you use. Is this also the case for transfers involving ETH, LTC, and other coins?

2) Would it be more cost efficient to have separate wallets for each form of currency I have (Such as Electrum for BTC, MEW for ETH, and Electrum-LTC for Litecoin), or to house everything in just Exodus/Jaxx?

3) I've heard that you can export private keys from exodus into blockchain.info to save on fees. Is this safe or smart, or should this practice be avoided?

4) Regarding hardware wallets, say I purchase $100 worth of any coin each month as an investment. Is it a simple process to continually move that currency from whichever exchange I buy from onto the hardware wallet? Or is it better to, lets say deposit one large amount per year?

Thank you in advance for the help! Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Panda Trump

Activity: 588
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2017, 05:19:50 PM

1) I understand BTC has higher network fees regardless of which of the two aforementioned wallets you use. Is this also the case for transfers involving ETH, LTC, and other coins?

Bitcoin is quite a slow coin. It can only handle a small amount of transactions per day, which is why people started using fees.
Miners prefer to mine for the transactions that have high fees, as those will yield them more money. Now Bitcoin is becoming more popular, its maximum amount of transactions per day isn't really growing. Therefore, the fees rocket up, simply because everyone wants their transactions to be confirmed quickly.

I'm not sure about Ethereum's fees, but I believe they are quite low too. At least they are lower than Bitcoin's fees, although I read about Ethereum's fees entering the 1 USD range a couple months ago though, if I remember correctly..  Wink BitInfoCharts shows that the average Ethereum Transaction Fee is about 30 cents now.
Litecoin fees are almost non-existent and the transactions are very fast. It shouldn't matter what wallet you use, as it's the network fees and not the wallet fees that you have to pay. The same source also shows that Litecoin's Transaction Fees fluctuate around 10-15 cents.

2) Would it be more cost efficient to have separate wallets for each form of currency I have (Such as Electrum for BTC, MEW for ETH, and Electrum-LTC for Litecoin), or to house everything in just Exodus/Jaxx?

It shouldn't really matter, as the transactions are separate for each cryptocurrency. As long as the wallets don't cost any money and don't charge any fees, the cost-efficiency should be the same.

3) I've heard that you can export private keys from exodus into blockchain.info to save on fees. Is this safe or smart, or should this practice be avoided?

I'm not aware of Exodus' system, so I'm not sure. What I do know is that Blockchain.info doesn't charge any additional fees and allows you to customize the transaction fees you send with your transaction. Maybe it's because Exodus charges fees or doesn't allow you to customize fees? If so, it could be a pretty smart practice. Anyways, I've never used Exodus, so I'd wait till someone who's an expert on that area comments here.

4) Regarding hardware wallets, say I purchase $100 worth of any coin each month as an investment. Is it a simple process to continually move that currency from whichever exchange I buy from onto the hardware wallet? Or is it better to, lets say deposit one large amount per year?
It's pretty easy to transfer the coins you buy on an exchange to your hardware wallet. For the first time I'd suggest following a tutorial, just to make sure you don't make any mistakes. After that, it's simple enough that you should be able to do it yourself.

I hope that will help you further :-)
If you have more questions, feel free to ask here or PM me.

PS: I've recently switched from Blockchain.info to Electrum and I must say: Electrum is a really nice wallet. I recommend you use that one. It's easy to use, very safe and has useful tools.  Smiley

Regards,
Trump

pb14mph (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 06:16:32 PM

Bitcoin is quite a slow coin. It can only handle a small amount of transactions per day, which is why people started using fees.
Miners prefer to mine for the transactions that have high fees, as those will yield them more money. Now Bitcoin is becoming more popular, its maximum amount of transactions per day isn't really growing. Therefore, the fees rocket up, simply because everyone wants their transactions to be confirmed quickly.

I'm not sure about Ethereum's fees, but I believe they are quite low too. At least they are lower than Bitcoin's fees, although I read about Ethereum's fees entering the 1 USD range a couple months ago though, if I remember correctly..  Wink BitInfoCharts shows that the average Ethereum Transaction Fee is about 30 cents now.
Litecoin fees are almost non-existent and the transactions are very fast. It shouldn't matter what wallet you use, as it's the network fees and not the wallet fees that you have to pay. The same source also shows that Litecoin's Transaction Fees fluctuate around 10-15 cents.

It shouldn't really matter, as the transactions are separate for each cryptocurrency. As long as the wallets don't cost any money and don't charge any fees, the cost-efficiency should be the same.

I'm not aware of Exodus' system, so I'm not sure. What I do know is that Blockchain.info doesn't charge any additional fees and allows you to customize the transaction fees you send with your transaction. Maybe it's because Exodus charges fees or doesn't allow you to customize fees? If so, it could be a pretty smart practice. Anyways, I've never used Exodus, so I'd wait till someone who's an expert on that area comments here.

It's pretty easy to transfer the coins you buy on an exchange to your hardware wallet. For the first time I'd suggest following a tutorial, just to make sure you don't make any mistakes. After that, it's simple enough that you should be able to do it yourself.

PS: I've recently switched from Blockchain.info to Electrum and I must say: Electrum is a really nice wallet. I recommend you use that one. It's easy to use, very safe and has useful tools.  Smiley

Regards,
Trump

This was IMMENSELY helpful, thank you for taking the time! I'll be using the bitinfocharts site frequently, I wasn't aware of it. Just curious, what made you switch from Blockchain to Electrum?
Panda Trump

Activity: 588
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2017, 06:33:03 PM

I'm not sure about Ethereum's fees, but I believe they are quite low too. At least they are lower than Bitcoin's fees, although I read about Ethereum's fees entering the 1 USD range a couple months ago though, if I remember correctly..  Wink BitInfoCharts shows that the average Ethereum Transaction Fee is about 30 cents now.

PS: I've recently switched from Blockchain.info to Electrum and I must say: Electrum is a really nice wallet. I recommend you use that one. It's easy to use, very safe and has useful tools.  Smiley

Regards,
Trump

This was IMMENSELY helpful, thank you for taking the time! I'll be using the bitinfocharts site frequently, I wasn't aware of it. Just curious, what made you switch from Blockchain to Electrum?

You're welcome :-)

My switch was initially just because of my Bitcointalk account security. I saw that many accounts were hacked and if my E-mail account is hacked, my Bitcointalk account is gone as well, I believe? Anyways, to avoid any of that trouble and keep my account security high, I decided to sign a message.

Electrum has a very easy "Sign Message" function, whilst Blockchain.info does not have one, as far as I know. So, I decided to sign a message through Electrum, after which I fell in love with it. It just felt far more "comfortable" to me than blockchain.info.

Regards,
Trump

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: