Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:55:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: vanitygen -- how to?  (Read 3312 times)
btceic (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 11:05:13 AM

So I ran vanitygen and have made myself some btc addresses that I like:

example:
1BTCvwZtUbdcsuEVof42DqkmixjKdGn25a

So how do I import these into bitcoin-qt?

Also how do I get a short address out of this?

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Xch4ng3

Activity: 661
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2013, 01:46:53 PM

Vanitygen gives you a private key that you need to import for you to be able to use the address.

[AUTOBUY] [CHEAP] $2 Account Shop -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4611147
pc

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 07:11:50 PM

Vanitygen gives you an address as well as the corresponding private key in WIF format (starting with a 5, K, or L). In order to import it into Bitcoin-Qt, go into the Console (Help, Debug Window, Console) and type in importprivkey <key> where <key> is that private key you got. It'll take a couple minutes (seriously, it could take a while) while it goes through the blockchain to see if that address ever received any coins, and then it should be a part of the wallet and show up in your list of address on the Receiving tab.

To get a "firstbits" address (which I'm assuming is what you mean by "short"), send some coins to it, wait for several confirmations, and then look them up on a site like blockchain.info. I'm not aware of a tool that finds the firstbits by looking at one's local blockchain, though there probably is one out there somewhere.
Xch4ng3

Activity: 661
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 11:44:42 AM

Vanitygen gives you an address as well as the corresponding private key in WIF format (starting with a 5, K, or L). In order to import it into Bitcoin-Qt, go into the Console (Help, Debug Window, Console) and type in importprivkey <key> where <key> is that private key you got. It'll take a couple minutes (seriously, it could take a while) while it goes through the blockchain to see if that address ever received any coins, and then it should be a part of the wallet and show up in your list of address on the Receiving tab.

To get a "firstbits" address (which I'm assuming is what you mean by "short"), send some coins to it, wait for several confirmations, and then look them up on a site like blockchain.info. I'm not aware of a tool that finds the firstbits by looking at one's local blockchain, though there probably is one out there somewhere.

Am I right in saying that anyone with the private key can import the address into their client?

[AUTOBUY] [CHEAP] $2 Account Shop -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4611147
domob
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1166

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 12:13:35 PM

Am I right in saying that anyone with the private key can import the address into their client?

Yes.  You need to keep it secret.  Everyone who has the key can spend any coins you have at the address.

Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/
Donations: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS | GPG 0xA7330737
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 12:28:50 PM

Also how do I get a short address out of this?

That is up to the "firstbits" algo - and for the sample you gave "1btc" (firstbits are case-insensitive) is not surprisingly already taken (by 1BtCpSAJ14d64ZHTqc6uqaLMVXoovTsSXr back in 2009 by a miner and it still has 50 BTC).

To test whether a vanity address you have created is "already taken" (in regards to the "firstbits") then type in the relevant prefix (1btc in your example) into the Search in blockchain.info.

Note also that until you have sent BTC to your address (and it has been confirmed enough times) the "firstbits" are still "open" for anyone to take (first come, first served).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: