Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:46:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why people holding their coins when the price is going down for sure...  (Read 4018 times)
Jaroslaw (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

supernode

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:08:55 PM

How you can deacresed your BTC by sellig at 85$ and buying back at 75$ ?

Pretty easily when it goes to $90 instead of the expected $75

Want take a bet that we hit 70$ first ? Smiley

I fucking hate your avatar. But I have nothing against the real guy.

Also the number of ignores you seem to have tells me much people agree you're an idiot Smiley

Or maybe they dont want to listen the truth ? Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:11:41 PM

If you are so sure that the price is going to go down, instead of talking on the forum you should be out shorting bitcoins as hard as you can. Borrow as many bitcoins as people will lend you, sell those and buy them back later. If you are so sure that the price will go from 85 to 75 over the next week, offer to borrow at 5% for a week, I am sure there will be people who will take that offer.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:18:54 PM

1) Even though the price is likely to fall further, it could easily rebound above $100 or even $120 in what might be a bull trap. If you sell at $75 and it jumps to $120, you might not buy back because "it's a bull trap." But what if it just keeps rising? Not likely without some kind of obvious news, but certainly possible. Before you know it, you've lost most of your position. And if you understand where Bitcoin is going, losing most of your position hurts an awful lot.

2) If you think one bitcoin will be worth millions in a few years, it hardly matters whether you have 200 or 400; you're going to be a fucking tycoon either way. If you already sold a reasonable portion of your holdings during the higher portion of the bubble, as is prudent in any rapid price rise, you should have little need to be overly greedy in trying to increase your stash by outsmarting the market. You've got some nice fiat profits, and you probably already have plenty of bitcoins to be secure in your future a few years from now. No reason to play with fire. If you understand the asymmetric bet, dumping most of your position is playing with fire in terms of possibly burning your future massive wealth.

TL;DR: I'd only sell large portions of your holdings if you think Bitcoin isn't going to succeed.
rayfloyd

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:19:13 PM

The right to use Smiley should be revoked from you.

N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:22:43 PM

2) If you think one bitcoin will be worth millions in a few years, it hardly matters if you have 200 or 400; you're going to be a fucking tycoon either way.

TL;DR: Only sell large portions of your holdings if you think Bitcoin isn't going to succeed.

Reptilia, is that you? If the price were to go to millions in a few years (with a certain % chance) why would you invest most of your money? You can invest a small portion and still be filthy rich, and reduce your risk in case it doesn't happen. The wise choice is to liquidate the Bitcoins and retain what you think will be "enough".
humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:36:03 PM

1. It's not "for sure", there may be really big news/big changes any day
2. for idealistic reasons, holding Bitcoins is voting against the current banking system

(3. I love how all those bears are begging us to sell the coins, so they can buy back cheaper later on. ^^)

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:47:33 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2013, 06:04:22 PM by Zangelbert Bingledack

2) If you think one bitcoin will be worth millions in a few years, it hardly matters if you have 200 or 400; you're going to be a fucking tycoon either way.

TL;DR: Only sell large portions of your holdings if you think Bitcoin isn't going to succeed.

Reptilia, is that you? If the price were to go to millions in a few years (with a certain % chance) why would you invest most of your money? You can invest a small portion and still be filthy rich, and reduce your risk in case it doesn't happen. The wise choice is to liquidate the Bitcoins and retain what you think will be "enough".

Given that I'm talking about someone who believes the price is either going to go to millions in a few years or zero (asymmetric bet), if they also believed this when they first bought into BTC, they should have invested just a small portion of their total assets at that time - enough to become so rich at the end that they won't care much about having a bit more.

The price rose this year, and indeed BTC swelled to be a much larger portion of their total assets, but unless that price rise changed their long-term outlook, they still have the amount of BTC they need so that they will be as rich as they care to be at the end.

Selling large amounts risks ending up with them being substantially less wealthy than they'd like to be, but trading the bear market to double their BTC doesn't hold much appeal to them long term (ex hypothesi). Now of course medium-term they might get to take more profits and reach their goal sooner, but to do that at the risk of never reaching that goal may not be palatable to said investor.

Now of course if someone overinvested at the beginning because they underestimated the long-term BTC price, they should take very health profits now if they haven't yet, by all means, but it would be odd to just assume that the readers have all changed their long-term price expectations. Someone with consistent long-term expectations for the asymmetric bet and consistent risk tolerance wouldn't be expected to sell what to them constitutes a "large" portion of their position unless they suddenly needed fiat for something.

Note: I'm not rpietila; I'm much more long-term bullish than him Grin
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002

Bitcoin

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 12:59:44 AM

As it go down, majority tends to sell, when it goes up, most buy..

I buy on the way down, and sell some on the way up.

I always buy stuff/service, no matter what the $/BTC ratio is.

It seems logical from my point of view !
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 01:09:52 AM

[/quote
Same Smiley
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 01:25:21 AM

yup!

Why people holding their coins when the price is going down for sure...

newbie question, is newbish.

tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3934
Merit: 1406

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 02:13:54 AM

Im just curious all of you who holding coins knowig that tommorow price will be a X% smaller or even XX% smaller. This is madness...

holding and hoping, of course. lolol

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
jhansen858

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 05:08:29 AM

To make money at this game you should do the opposite of what everyone else is doing. 

If they are panic selling, you should be buying.

If they are panic buying, you should selling. 

The price will continue to fall for the next 3-6 months as all these shiny new asics come online.  People will want to dump coins in order to recoup their investment.  After this backlog is eventually cleared, the price will start to rise again as the majority of miners switch back to holding. 

The next 3-6 months will most likely be the lowest the coins will ever go again.  Just wait till they bottom out and scoop some cheap coins up.  If you don't know when that will be then just buy 1 coin every week till it bottoms out.  The effect will be that your entire position will be averaged down to a bit under half of what the normal price. 

Hi forum: 1DDpiEt36VTJsiJunyBc3XtG6CcSAnsQ4p
WhitePhantom

Activity: 348

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 05:40:10 AM
Last edit: July 04, 2013, 05:51:13 AM by WhitePhantom

How you can deacresed your BTC by sellig at 85$ and buying back at 75$ ?

Pretty easily when it goes to $90 instead of the expected $75

Want take a bet that we hit 70$ first ? Smiley

I fucking hate your avatar. But I have nothing against the real guy.

Also the number of ignores you seem to have tells me much people agree you're an idiot Smiley

If anybody ever belonged in the BTC-e trollbox, it's you.  It's more than obvious that you sold and simply wish to spread FUD so others will lose while you buy back lower.

The price will continue to fall for the next 3-6 months as all these shiny new asics come online.  People will want to dump coins in order to recoup their investment.
This makes even less sense now than it did back when the block reward was 50 BTC.  As difficulty adjusts, the number of coins generated will be comparable to what it's been since the end of November (roughly 25 every 10 minutes).  The number of people selling freshly minted coins (a small fraction of overall trading) will also be similar to what it's always been because ever since people started spending money on hardware to mine BTC (ie. near the beginning), they've been dumping coins to recoup their investments.

The only thing pushing the price down is fear and speculation.  Since it's indisputable that a volatile market mixed with speculation and emotion is a formula for even more extreme market fluctuation, it's impossible to be sure what the price of BTC will be tomorrow, nevermind 3-6 months from now.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 05:41:42 AM

Because its not 2011 and I don't want to be a butthurt investor that runs away to come back in 2 years and go damn I wish I was here in 2013 Grin
Accumulation Baby!!!!

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Coinseeker

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 05:49:28 AM

To make money at this game you should do the opposite of what everyone else is doing.  

If they are panic selling, you should be buying.

If they are panic buying, you should selling.  

The price will continue to fall for the next 3-6 months as all these shiny new asics come online.  People will want to dump coins in order to recoup their investment.  After this backlog is eventually cleared, the price will start to rise again as the majority of miners switch back to holding.  

The next 3-6 months will most likely be the lowest the coins will ever go again.  Just wait till they bottom out and scoop some cheap coins up.  If you don't know when that will be then just buy 1 coin every week till it bottoms out.  The effect will be that your entire position will be averaged down to a bit under half of what the normal price.  

Who's to say prices will ever return, if mass adoption continues to evade Bitcoin?  This is the problem everyone wants to ignore.  Over the last couple months, Bitcoin has seen worldwide media attention, yet no major companies have adopted Bitcoin and don't seem to have any intentions of doing so.  I mean, it's not like it's difficult, right?  And it's certainly not because they haven't heard of Bitcoin.

When someone can explain to me how Bitcoin plans to retain value without any real way to use them, maybe I'll be bullish again. But all indicators tell me that, Bitcoin is a sinking ship.  Doesn't matter what miners are using or doing.  Without mass adoption, it's just monopoly money, propped up by speculators.  And please, if you're going to try to spell it out for me, spare me the libertarian, bible thumping fantasies.  I need to hear something with real world substance. 

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
1Pakis

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 06:10:51 AM

Im just curious all of you who holding coins knowig that tommorow price will be a X% smaller or even XX% smaller. This is madness...
Who is holding? I'm Byuing Grin
I'm buying when it goes down.
I'm selling when it goes up.
Very basic strategy.
And use basic money management not to risk more that 5% of my portfolio.
I also mine some Grin

Tips are welcome at this address 18DVZkpSwmejPjekX3QMKvRRtR8Bfx65LN.
Hyena
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1011

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 07:17:05 AM

I hate to say it but bitcoin will always have one place where it's useful and that keeps the prices above zero.

Also, I'd like to point out that big corporations are really slow at taking decisions. What is more, development of new programmatic structures to introduce bitcoin protocol can take 3-6 months. It's just the third month since the bubble thingy which possibly could have attracted new interested parties. Give it a time of 3 more months to see new companies accepting bitcoin.

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 07:20:17 AM

MT Gox withdraws are back online now, it just may have some positive price pressure on now...

I didn't sell ... glad I held on... even if drops more that's fine it'll be back at some point...

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
Jaroslaw (OP)

Activity: 84

supernode

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 07:25:46 AM

MT Gox withdraws are back online now, it just may have some positive price pressure on now...

I didn't sell ... glad I held on... even if drops more that's fine it'll be back at some point...

no they arent

Jozzaboy

Activity: 98

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 07:27:14 AM

no they arent

I am inclined to not believe low level tech support than a slightly higher level press release.

BTC: 16whd9eNR8WY9nVhUUevNYMbQB2eS1jtYF
I also accept precious metals, no paper money please.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: