Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:51:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wikimedia is irrational in not accepting Bitcoin payment  (Read 6685 times)
jinni (OP)

Activity: 255
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 02:24:52 PM

I was on Wikipedia checking something out for the nth time that day (like most days) and I notice their plea for donations. I'm thinking: "Hmmm I'm kinda broke, I want to support them but I need to eat. Then I think...hey what about these Bitcoin I have lying around. I'll just give them some of that!"

But no. That is impossible!

https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/FAQ/en#Why_does_the_Wikimedia_Foundation_not_currently_accept_Bitcoin.3F

The Wikimedia Foundation, as a donor-driven organization, has a fiduciary duty to be responsible and prudent with its money. This has been interpreted to mean that we do not accept "artificial" currencies – that is, those not backed by the full faith and credit of an issuing government. We do, however, strive to provide as many methods of donating as possible and continue to monitor Bitcoin with interest and may revisit this position should circumstances change.

Fine. I'm not going to argue whether or not the safest way to be responsible and prudent for the Wikimedia foundation is using Bitcoin or USD. But accepting payment in Bitcoin that is immediatly converted into USD exposes them to no risk other than that which they are already taking by holding fiat.

People would be donating Bitcoin, but Wikimedia would be recieving USD. Basically it would be the same thing as accepting PayPal as a middleman converting creditcard IOUs into dollars in Wikimedias bank account - which they are already doing!

Does anyone know how we can explain succintly to Wikimedia that they don't have to assume the Bitcoin "risk" (or safety) by letting people pay with them?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 04:04:12 PM

Send them an email explaining this.

Maybe you will be the straw that breaks the camel's back  Cool

They will see how much money they are missing out on.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 04:40:27 PM

If you mouse-over that banner, they have a "trouble donating?" link. If goes to their Ways to Give/en.

One of the options is stock. Just recently, the Winklevoss twins have announced a Bitcoin derived stock. I am not sure how well it will track the price of Bitcoin, but if all goes well, it should be possible to indirectly donate Bitcoin the the Wikimedia foundation. It would be silly if they say that they can't accept a specific stock due to Bitcoin exposure.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
CompNsci

Activity: 332
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 04:47:16 PM

Yes, there position is really irrational, and there was a thread on how it can be argued it really is contrary to their stated goals.

Probably best if people just keep hammering on them.
DublinBrian

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:00:03 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2013, 05:20:49 PM by DublinBrian

If a hosting service were to offer Wikimedia a large discount if they pay in bitcoins, that might the thing that convinces them that bitcoin has real value.

We need to explain to merchants how they can pay their costs in bitcoin rather than cashing out all their bitcoin revenue through Bitpay.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:04:53 PM

I was on Wikipedia checking something out for the nth time that day (like most days) and I notice their plea for donations. I'm thinking: "Hmmm I'm kinda broke, I want to support them but I need to eat. Then I think...hey what about these Bitcoin I have lying around. I'll just give them some of that!"

So what you're saying is you can't even buy something to eat for bitcoins.

Now why do you expect others to willingly take them then?
biggie

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:39:06 PM

I'd think twice if all those "freedom loving initiatives" seem to only want creditcard / bank payments for some reason.
Robixen

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 06:00:02 PM

Most likely they will change their mind once bitcoin is widely accepted.
Fugger

Activity: 156

Founder of Bitbond

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 09:31:13 PM

Someone (major) has got to make a start and maybe the Wikimedia foundation would not be the worst chioce.

Token Tool by Bitbond
▬▬▬ Create, manage and multisend tokens on Ethereum, Binance Smart Chain, Polygon and Avalanche ▬▬▬
■ Twitter ■ Join Telegram
Fugger

Activity: 156

Founder of Bitbond

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 09:33:39 PM

People would be donating Bitcoin, but Wikimedia would be recieving USD. Basically it would be the same thing as accepting PayPal as a middleman converting creditcard IOUs into dollars in Wikimedias bank account - which they are already doing!

Does anyone know how we can explain succintly to Wikimedia that they don't have to assume the Bitcoin "risk" (or safety) by letting people pay with them?
I think you have a good explanation. Have you sent them an email? Maybe if some of us do, they will start thinking about it.

Token Tool by Bitbond
▬▬▬ Create, manage and multisend tokens on Ethereum, Binance Smart Chain, Polygon and Avalanche ▬▬▬
■ Twitter ■ Join Telegram
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 11:01:04 PM

You can donate with bitcoins, just not directly: http://blog.bitpay.com/2012/11/donate-to-wikipedia-with-bitcoin.html

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Meatpile

Activity: 277

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 11:59:23 PM

I think you are a bit irrational. As much right as you have to value bitcoins, everyone else has as much right to deem them worthless.
jinni (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 07:55:43 PM

So I have enough fiat to eat and pay bills for the time being. But I can't really afford to support Wikipedia at the moment. What I mean is there is no consumption not necessary that I can cut down on to help Wikipedia out for the time being.

And I'm not saying Wikimedia should keep Bitcoins around, only accept someone like Bitpay or something to accept payment in Bitcoin and exchange it to USD and provide Wikimedia with the USD.
threeip

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 07:58:43 PM

Surely taking bitcoin or bitcoin exchanged for cash is better than no donations at all?

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ GPG:2AFD99BB ಠ_ಠ mon
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 07:58:55 PM

Instead of trying to change the mind of the administrators, how about we solve the problem ourselves? It's obvious the administrators want to stay away from legally gray stuff. (see: linking silkroad's .onion address) We can have a trusted member receive bitcoin donations and send the fiat to wikimedia organization.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
jinni (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 08:01:05 PM

I think you are a bit irrational. As much right as you have to value bitcoins, everyone else has as much right to deem them worthless.

If you read my post I'm not saying anyone should value Bitcoins. I'm saying I don't want to get into the discussion of whether Bitcoin is safer and more prudent than USD.

Maybe I should have made this clearer but what I was talking about is for Wikimedia to use a payment processor for Bitcoin like Bitpay - just in the same way they use Paypal as a payment processor for credit cards. In that way, Wikimedia would be recieving USD when I pay in Bitcoin.
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 08:01:55 PM

Instead of trying to change the mind of the administrators, how about we solve the problem ourselves? It's obvious the administrators want to stay away from legally gray stuff. (see: linking silkroad's .onion address) We can have a trusted member receive bitcoin donations and send the fiat to wikimedia organization.

We already have this obtion: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=128382.0

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
jinni (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 08:02:38 PM

If a hosting service were to offer Wikimedia a large discount if they pay in bitcoins, that might the thing that convinces them that bitcoin has real value.
+1

If Wikimedia could host for Bitcoin, and pay that with Bitcoins they got donated to them it would be fantastic!
crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 08:06:37 PM

But no. That is impossible!

https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/FAQ/en#Why_does_the_Wikimedia_Foundation_not_currently_accept_Bitcoin.3F

The Wikimedia Foundation, as a donor-driven organization, has a fiduciary duty to be responsible and prudent with its money. This has been interpreted to mean that we do not accept "artificial" currencies – that is, those not backed by the full faith and credit of an issuing government. We do, however, strive to provide as many methods of donating as possible and continue to monitor Bitcoin with interest and may revisit this position should circumstances change.

Fine. I'm not going to argue whether or not the safest way to be responsible and prudent for the Wikimedia foundation is using Bitcoin or USD. But accepting payment in Bitcoin that is immediatly converted into USD exposes them to no risk other than that which they are already taking by holding fiat.

How about going to the BitPay website yourself, and scrolling down a bit 'till you see this:

Problem solved? Smiley

Edit:  See?  The nice folks at BitPay thought of everything!
jinni (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 08:10:34 PM

To everyone suggesting to pay to someone who will then pay Wikimedia in USD, thanks for the tip!

However I think it is a shame that Wikimedia cannot set up a service like that on their methods to donate website.

Edit: I'm now proceeding to make a payment to Wikimedia through bitpay and to writing Wikimedia an email!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: