Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:42:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wikimedia is irrational in not accepting Bitcoin payment  (Read 6685 times)
Stemby
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 05:35:49 PM

Which translates exactly how to them backing or issuing the currency?
The full faith a credit bit you quoted and bolded, how does that fit in?
I'm pretty sure Germany recognise the dollar, pound, RMB and Yen as currencies too, but they don't back or issue them.
Probably you're right. English isn't my mother tongue, and I interpreted differently.

“…virtual currencies, could have a substitution effect on central bank money if they become widely accepted.”
ECB Report, October 2012
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 06:00:24 PM

TL;DR: Start your own wiki, and accept every clone coin -- no one will step on UR Freedomz.   

Pains me to say it, but this ^^^. I'm not sure that wikipedia is exactly the font of unbiased knowledge that everyone celebrates it for. It's hugely valuable in so many articles, but the history and the politics are often pretty politicised.

Vires in numeris
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 08:19:48 PM

TL;DR: Start your own wiki, and accept every clone coin -- no one will step on UR Freedomz.   

Pains me to say it, but this ^^^. I'm not sure that wikipedia is exactly the font of unbiased knowledge that everyone celebrates it for. It's hugely valuable in so many articles, but the history and the politics are often pretty politicised.

I've noticed this a few times myself on certain articles, but as the saying goes, history is written by the victors.

super3
Legendary

Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2013, 08:59:17 PM

Right now people write wikipedia articles out of the goodness of their heart. While not accepting Bitcoin is a little silly and based on misconceptions, I can at least see their point of view. English wikipedia has ~4 million articles, while Spanish wikipedia has ~1 million articles. Based on word count, content, and accuracy you could reward people to translate most of those ~3 million articles.

An interesting experiment would be create a Wikipedia clone that rewards people that actually edit/create the articles. Want an good article on an obscure or technical subject? Just place a few Bitcoin bounty on it and someone would write it for you.

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
Stemby
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 07:16:22 AM

An interesting experiment would be create a Wikipedia clone that rewards people that actually edit/create the articles. Want an good article on an obscure or technical subject? Just place a few Bitcoin bounty on it and someone would write it for you.
Why a clone? You can do this on the real Wikipedia right now.

“…virtual currencies, could have a substitution effect on central bank money if they become widely accepted.”
ECB Report, October 2012
namecoin

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 12:40:02 PM

Why a clone? You can do this on the real Wikipedia right now.
Hmm... Please let people know how to do that on the real Wikipedia?  Since most of the authors do not leave their donation Bitcoin address there?  Thank you.
Stemby
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 12:47:26 PM

Hmm... Please let people know how to do that on the real Wikipedia?
You could write a message on this forum, or use the discussion pages on Wikipedia.

«*** bitcoins bounty for...»

ECB Report, October 2012
razibuzouzou

Activity: 354
Merit: 251

coinorama.net

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2013, 01:08:54 PM

You could write a message on this forum, or use the discussion pages on Wikipedia.

Maybe a plugin for Mediawiki would allow to setup such bounty feature ?

Alice wants to learn about Something. She puts a bounty on the Something article.
Bob knows everything about Something and is happy to contribute. He writes or adds content to the Something article.
Alice is notified that the article was enriched, she unlocks the bounty if she's pleased with the result.
og kush420

Activity: 1050
Merit: 110

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 06:05:19 PM

someone edit this page better than i did under finances. i dont know how to post sources or links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation

crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 06:29:41 PM

someone edit this page better than i did under finances. i dont know how to post sources or links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation

This is why we can't have nice things.
murraypaul

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 06:35:10 PM

Indeed, I'm sure that has really helped to change Wikipedia's opinion of Bitcoin for the better.
From someone who can't even tell the difference between a payment processor and a currency. (Paypal is not a currency)

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
Kris
Donator

Activity: 640
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 08:00:30 PM

I think it is time we try and see if BIPS can make a difference in this case.

So OK listen guys, I will take it upon myself getting Wikimedia to accept Bitcoin for donations being based in Europe and all, if that will have anything to say. I will report back in this thread with my progress.

I have already create a preliminary integration for them, so they will get the opportunity of accepting Bitcoin payment served on a silver plate.

The permalink is as follows:

https://bips.me/checkout/invoice/39d/Yb  - $10 donation amount
https://bips.me/checkout/invoice/39d/Zb  - $100 donation amount

Any Bitcoin paid to these invoices will be sent directly to Wikimedia Foundation, if for any reason anyone would pay to them before Wikimedia Foundation agrees to run a test.

A very elaborate email was just sent to the Wikimedia Foundation, explaining "How would it work", "Automatically conversion", "Daily bank wires in their own defined currency", and of cause the BIPS account details with everything defined, only missing their bank account information.

Kind regards
Kris
readonlyaccess

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 08:11:27 PM

So OK listen guys, I will take it upon myself getting Wikimedia to accept Bitcoin for donations being based in Europe and all, if that will have anything to say. I will report back in this thread with my progress.

I have already create a preliminary integration for them, so they will get the opportunity of accepting Bitcoin payment served on a silver plate.

Any Bitcoin paid to these invoices will be sent directly to Wikimedia Foundation, if for any reason anyone would pay to them before Wikimedia Foundation agrees to run a test.

A very elaborate email was just sent to the Wikimedia Foundation, explaining "How would it work", "Automatically conversion", "Daily bank wires in their own defined currency", and of cause the BIPS account details with everything defined, only missing their bank account information.

Kind regards
Kris

I would recommend no one support Wikimedia until they officially accept BTC.
super3
Legendary

Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2013, 11:48:15 PM

Maybe a plugin for Mediawiki would allow to setup such bounty feature ?

Alice wants to learn about Something. She puts a bounty on the Something article.
Bob knows everything about Something and is happy to contribute. He writes or adds content to the Something article.
Alice is notified that the article was enriched, she unlocks the bounty if she's pleased with the result.
Great point. You could simply make a subwebsite or plugin to handle just that on the regular Wikipedia. I'm curious if there would be enough interest to get this done.

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
blockgenesis

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

Bitcoin.org maintainer

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 01:25:07 AM

Kind regards
Kris

I think that is a nice idea. Do things well, let them know exactly how it works (and be compatible with their current esthablished system), show them concretely see the benefits.

Wikimedia aren't closed mind, they are just overly cautious and they don't want to be pioneer (and I agree that it's frustrating from an organization that has been respected for their support for open-source and freedow of speech.. but hey, maybe they don't get it :-) )

Donation: 18XXXQs1vAQGBAZbXKA322r9Zy1nZac2H4
tgerring

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

Hive/Ethereum

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 01:58:09 PM

[...], so they will get the opportunity of accepting Bitcoin payment served on a silver plate.

+1 for making accepting Bitcoin as easy as possible before initiating the conversation. As a community, we should be doing this more.

Hive, a beautiful wallet for Mac OS X, now available for testing. Follow the story here.
BitcoinKit.framework and Tor.framework, now available to iOS and Mac OS X developers
Tweeting at @hivewallet. Donations appreciated at 142m1MpXHhymF4aASiWwYohe1Y55v5BQwc
Stemby
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 07:19:52 PM

https://blog.wikimedia.org/2014/07/30/wikimedia-foundation-now-accepts-bitcoin/

\o/

ECB Report, October 2012
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 09:46:44 PM

I personally sent them several emails.

Im going to donate now.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: