Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:27:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Once again, what about the scalability issue?  (Read 11210 times)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 06:13:48 PM
Last edit: August 26, 2013, 06:47:56 PM by tvbcof

Any entity can be put under enough pressure to either comply with government mandates (US government mandates in much of the world) or shut down and lose their infrastructure investment.  All of the PRISM participants chose the latter...it's the only logical choice.  And the only legal choice for corporations.

This is worth remembering ^ ^

- snip, supposed NSA slide about PRISM -  

Do you doubt its authenticity?

I doubt almost everything to some degree.  I hold open the hypothesis that the entire Snowden episode is a staged operation in fact.

Early on in the release of the PRISM docs, some commentators with a supposed insider background said that it is an unusual document and not representative of the form which one would expect at this level.  Further, there are a ton of minor jerk-off businesses milking the rapidly expanding national security sphere and they come up with all kinds of puffed up marketing material and what-not.  In fact one scheme was to plant various stories, false or not, with Greenwald (mentioned by name, and without his knowing cooperation) in order to achieve certain goals.  This was discovered in the HB Gary Federal e-mail hack.

That said, I feel it most likely that Snowden is the real McCoy and the PRISM doc is legit.  It's just that since I don't 'known' this I try to be careful in my wording.

- edit in:

Cass Sunstein is in the news recently to chair the 'independent' panel on the state surveillance system.  He is a public proponent of planting 'conspiracy theories' in an attempt to discredit organic ones or achieve other objectives.  I've not studied his work yet, but it sounds interesting so perhaps I'll do it as a winter project when the weather gets shitty.

Anyway, I would say that one is a world-class fool to take almost anything at face value, or to consider almost anything as 'fact'.  There always has been a lot of subterfuge in this world when it comes to centralized power means and mechanisms and it is probably more true today than ever...but we live in the 'information age' where it is much more possible to independently analyze these things.  I am lucky to be comfortable to not 'know' almost anything for sure and to be able to weigh observations which are against what I believe or wish to be true.  I find it entertaining.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 02:50:59 PM

Blockchain size has crossed 10000 MB mark. I think it's time to close this thread until we see 20000 MB...
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 09:44:00 PM

Blockchain size has crossed 10000 MB mark. I think it's time to close this thread until we see 20000 MB...

Actually, the thread had been pretty quite until you piped up.

For my part, I'm still waiting for a good read on the economics of transaction fees.

Growth at 7 TPS or there abouts is eminently manageable while retaining a realistic P2P structure (possibly part of the reason Satoshi chose it?)  Even notably higher transaction rates would be manageable and probably defensible in case of most significant forms of attack, but the key is that things have to be predictable in order to facilitate good engineering and planning for those who have an interest in trying to help support the system.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 10:46:44 AM

Can we stop spreading incorrect information please?

MultiBit does not rely on a trusted third party. That's the point of it - it reads the block chain.

Satoshi put a 1mb block size limit in place to avoid people creating giant "troll blocks" early on when mining was easy. It was a part of a series of quick anti-DoS hacks he put in, and he talked about removing the limit when the software scaled better. Indeed he talked about Bitcoin scaling to VISA-size transaction loads right from the start of the project. 1mb wasn't some super meaningful design choice he made in order to achieve some particular economic outcome.

In fact, here's a quote from an email he sent me on the matter back in 2010:

A higher limit can be phased in once we have actual use closer to the limit and make sure it's working OK.

Eventually when we have client-only implementations, the block chain size won't matter much.  Until then, while all users still have to download the entire block chain to start, it's nice if we can keep it down to a reasonable size.

With very high transaction volume, network nodes would consolidate and there would be more pooled mining and GPU farms, and users would run client-only.  With dev work on optimising and parallelising, it can keep scaling up.

Whatever the current capacity of the software is, it automatically grows at the rate of Moore's Law, about 60% per year.

We actually do have client-only implementations these days, which is why Gavin and I have been arguing to increase the block size. It isn't as important as it once was.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 11:14:12 AM

MultiBit does not rely on a trusted third party. That's the point of it - it reads the block chain.

I ought to admit that I know almost nothing about MultiBit. Could you explain how it's possible to verify a transaction if you don't have a whole blockchain? You have to check the chain of ownership till you meet the block the coins were generated in. AND you have to check that none of the satoshis from these coins were double-spent.
bitcoin44me

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

MARKETPLACE FOR PAID ADVICE LIVE BROADCASTS

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 11:20:38 AM

I ought to admit that I know almost nothing about MultiBit. Could you explain how it's possible to verify a transaction if you don't have a whole blockchain? You have to check the chain of ownership till you meet the block the coins were generated in. AND you have to check that none of the satoshis from these coins were double-spent.

I don't know how it works, but you can probably make a php script to check blockchain.info and how much btc have every address / how much confirmations have a transaction and so on.
Like all btc websites (dices, mcxNOW, ...)

Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 11:21:55 AM

I don't know how it works, but you can probably make a php script to check blockchain.info and how much btc have every address / how much confirmations have a transaction and so on.
Like all btc websites (dices, mcxNOW, ...)

Who provides data for that and how did you make sure that this blockchain is legit (has the highest cumulative difficulty)?
edmundedgar

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

https://www.realitykeys.com

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2013, 12:04:41 PM

See parts 7 and 8 of Satoshi's whitepaper:
http://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 12:07:05 PM

Thx. Does MultiBit use this approach?
edmundedgar

Activity: 352

https://www.realitykeys.com

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2013, 12:08:56 PM

Thx. Does MultiBit use this approach?

Yes, IIUC.
Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 12:19:38 PM

Or a bit closer, read my stickied thread in this very forum:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=252937.0
hayek

Activity: 370

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 01:51:32 PM

Could someone please explain to me why this matters again?

Right, right, I get that the number of transactions is increasing but does this, again, just boil down to "It takes new people for ever to download the block chain"?

I just don't see how a 10G blockchain isn't scalable when most people run 1TB+ disks.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 06:14:48 PM
Last edit: September 30, 2013, 06:53:21 PM by tvbcof

I guess you are addressing me since I was the only poster in the recent activity of this thread.  Can you point out the 'incorrect information' I supposedly spread?

Alas, Java VM joins Windows and Android as systems I stay away from for security work.  It at least has been possible at some point to compile the JVM myself but it's a hassle and never worked right on my system.  I trust almost no pre-complied systems from large companies (especially Oracle) and that had been the case since before PRISM was disclosed.  But is even more so now.

Satoshi put a 1mb block size limit in place to avoid people creating giant "troll blocks" early on when mining was easy. It was a part of a series of quick anti-DoS hacks he put in, and he talked about removing the limit when the software scaled better. Indeed he talked about Bitcoin scaling to VISA-size transaction loads right from the start of the project. 1mb wasn't some super meaningful design choice he made in order to achieve some particular economic outcome.

It would not be the first time that someone fucked up and accidentally did the right thing.  My point is that no matter what the size, it is useful to bump into it and let the economics of transaction fees work for a while to find out empirically how the system functions.  This will allow certain systems to build up around the expectation of a more realistic mode of self sufficiency.

I think it pretty fair to say the 'satoshi' also elaborated on an end-point of the system being supported by transaction fees.  As opposed to, say, users being milked for the PII intelligence value they provide (as has become a reality for e-mail and www protocols.)  'satoshi' may very well have anticipated and welcomed this eventuality and you would know better than I, but I will say that if so he fucked up by making it a hard-fork to adjust the system to this trajectory.

Put another way, I don't think that someone 'supports' the kind of system I would like to see Bitcoin become by being exploited in the same manner that web service users are under many other protocols.

In fact, here's a quote from an email he sent me on the matter back in 2010:

A higher limit can be phased in once we have actual use closer to the limit and make sure it's working OK.

Eventually when we have client-only implementations, the block chain size won't matter much.  Until then, while all users still have to download the entire block chain to start, it's nice if we can keep it down to a reasonable size.

With very high transaction volume, network nodes would consolidate and there would be more pooled mining and GPU farms, and users would run client-only.  With dev work on optimising and parallelising, it can keep scaling up.

Whatever the current capacity of the software is, it automatically grows at the rate of Moore's Law, about 60% per year.

We actually do have client-only implementations these days, which is why Gavin and I have been arguing to increase the block size. It isn't as important as it once was.

I am not doubting the veracity of your private e-mails with 'satoshi', and don't doubt that you flipped out when you saw the 'quick hack' (sans commit comments) and provoked this note, but there is an amusing parallel here between how everything the NSA does is legal due to secret laws which nobody else can see.  There is also a similarly amusing parallel between Jesus vanishing only being accessible to persons with special communications powers.  Again, I don't doubt that you posses such powers...it's more 'satoshi's divinity which I find debatable.

- Edit in:  A hypothesis which also strikes me as possible is that 'satoshi' has been to some extent 'using' you (Mike).  I mean you have fearsome technical skills and drive, and also a positioning within the industry which has value of various sorts.  Your participation could be leveraged effectively by some management of the possible points of discontinuity on the evolution and endpoint of the Bitcoin system.

Peter Todd
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 06:28:31 PM

Indeed.

Users have to understand that SPV does rely on a quorum of trusted third parties, specifically miners, which makes it significantly less secure. For instance I could temporarily take over a large amount of hashing power by hacking a large pool and I can use that to profitably rip off your business and many others with fake confirmations. If I manage to hack >50% of hashing power - which would require nothing more than hacking into about 3 pools right now - I don't even need to isolate your SPV node from the network. (which is also easy because SPV nodes have to trust their peers) I may even do it just to push the price of Bitcoin down and profit from shorting it, or I may have other more nefarious motives.

Similarly MultiBit and other SPV wallets provide no protection against fraudulent inflation yet, and the architecture they encourage puts the censorship of transactions in the hands of a very few.

Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 09:42:18 AM

Alas, Java VM joins Windows and Android as systems I stay away from for security work.  It at least has been possible at some point to compile the JVM myself but it's a hassle and never worked right on my system.  I trust almost no pre-complied systems from large companies (especially Oracle) and that had been the case since before PRISM was disclosed.  But is even more so now.

I was able to compile OpenJDK8 on MacOS X a few weeks ago, at least. But there are other JVMs that are not as fast, which are also open source. Where do you get your compiler and operating system binaries from, I wonder?

I am not doubting the veracity of your private e-mails with 'satoshi', and don't doubt that you flipped out when you saw the 'quick hack' (sans commit comments) and provoked this note, but there is an amusing parallel here between how everything the NSA does is legal due to secret laws which nobody else can see.  There is also a similarly amusing parallel between Jesus vanishing only being accessible to persons with special communications powers.  Again, I don't doubt that you posses such powers...it's more 'satoshi's divinity which I find debatable.

At the time we had these conversations I didn't know he would disappear. That thread is from the end of 2010. I think it's still worth quoting him on this especially when people assign more meaning to design decisions than can really be justified. Unfortunately GMX doesn't (or didn't back then) use DKIM so I have no signatures or any other proof, but anyway it shouldn't matter, it's obvious from things he posted earlier that there wasn't intended to be any hard/small limits on volume.

I actually don't think I was around when Satoshi put the 1mb limit in place. I played with Bitcoin back in early 2009 but nobody used it so I lost interest and came back later. Back then he routinely made big or hard forking changes to the protocol in giant commits that mixed many changes together and had no useful descriptions. It was still his personal toy/prototype thing, so he got away with things we wouldn't be able to do today.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 10:43:00 AM

If the transaction rate doesn't ramp up soonish to levels far beyond what a 1 MB block can support the network will be in trouble. ASIC companies are pumping out more hashing power every day but the miners are all competing for the same ~25 BTC / block. Unless the exchange rate ramps up as fast as the difficulty, 25 BTC/block won't be able to economically support the mining infrastructure for very long. Then you'll see a huge overshoot effect where a lot of miners drop out and leave the network vulnerable, or even worse, sell off their now-unprofitable ASICs to someone who uses them to attack the network.

The block reward needs to grow, and the only way that happens is via transaction fees, and the only way to get significant amounts of transaction fees is to process lots of transactions.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 03:15:16 PM

I was able to compile OpenJDK8 on MacOS X a few weeks ago, at least. But there are other JVMs that are not as fast, which are also open source. Where do you get your compiler and operating system binaries from, I wonder?

Wonder no more;  I build both from source code and released distributions along with organized and auditable patches.  I've done things this way since I started using FreeBSD in the 90's.

When I run bitcoind these days I run a build which includes a compilation of openssl, boost, and berkeleydb and I can select the source distribution and apply any patches I like along the way.  Further, I can re-build with any code tweeks to any of these items in a matter of minutes and have a new binary running seconds after that.

Actually, I don't run bitcoind currently.  I'm behind a satellite system and the block chain is twice the size of my total monthly download allotment (for which I pay $80/mo.)  Just the other day I was looking around for a VPS but unfortunately the block chain itself is starting to exceed the size that low tier VPS's support.

Speaking of, any news on the block chain compression front as mentioned in the whitepaper?  That was kind of a selling point to me (recognizing immediately the potential scaling issue.)  Last I heard (from you IIRC) ~sipa was trying to have a life and working on it sporadically.

peonminer

Activity: 798
Merit: 531

Crypto is King.

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 03:26:43 PM

The world will move to off blockchain wallets and sites like inputs.io
Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 03:50:59 PM

The thing I was referring to was not block chain compression (that's not making a big difference) but rather pruning, i.e. deleting of old data from disk. There has been no progress on that front. Sipa worked on other things instead.

If your problem is you can't afford to even download 10G of data then you're better off using an SPV client instead. I'm pretty sure almost any VPS could run bitcoind - where did you find a VPS that has <20G of disk and bandwidth? If you ran one on a VPS you could use an SPV client locally that connects to it, and that'd be an equivalent security level.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 04:19:30 PM

The world will move to off blockchain wallets and sites like inputs.io

Why wait? Do it now, use a bank!

+21000000
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: