Print  
Author Topic: Closed  (Read 8426 times)
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2013, 04:11:53 PM

Unless the Winklebros ETF can demonstrate it backs every share of its ETF with real bitcoins then I won't trust it because it will be a way to tamper with the number of bitcoins and hence tamper with the value of bitcoins. If real bitcoins I hold in my own wallet are devalued because the quantity of apparent bitcoins has been 'inflated' then it does hurt me, it artificially devalues my bitcoins.

It seems like it would be trivial for them to demonstrate they hold the bitcoins, just sign a simple statement using the various addresses which hold the bitcoins.

Nobody is forcing you to invest in this or use it in any way, bitcoin is very open and many people can use it in many different ways and we can all get along happily.

You can bitch and whine about bitcoins being devalued by inflation like this, but that is just the natural progression of the monetary system. Make your plans to deal with it and move on with your life.

Its the way the financial system works that I have beef with. Bitcoins is supposed to be the alternative to that den of fraud and lies that is the fiat money and financial system. That is the attraction of bitcoins for me. If bitcoins just become another financial asset to be swapped, bundled up, represented by certificates etc then no I don't have to like it.

It might be trivial for the Winkles to demonstrate the backing of their bitcoins but is it in their interest to? Might they prefer to obfuscate the truth? I'm happy for an honest ETF system to come along, lets hope they are honest in their intentions
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 04:16:22 PM

Nobody is forcing you to invest in this or use it in any way, bitcoin is very open and many people can use it in many different ways and we can all get along happily.

You can bitch and whine about bitcoins being devalued by inflation like this, but that is just the natural progression of the monetary system. Make your plans to deal with it and move on with your life.

Its the way the financial system works that I have beef with. Bitcoins is supposed to be the alternative to that den of fraud and lies that is the fiat money and financial system. That is the attraction of bitcoins for me. If bitcoins just become another financial asset to be swapped, bundled up, represented by certificates etc then no I don't have to like it.

Nobody is forcing you to use their ETF, you can go on using bitcoins as you wish. Bitcoins have a set base money supply, so there is not as much funny financing that can be done as with other currencies, but you will never be able to stop all of it.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 05:37:48 PM

The ETF haters in this thread are hilarious. Step outside once in a while. Your worldview has become far too narrow.

P.S. No one is forcing you to buy shares, and those capable of securing their own coins will of course prefer to do so (unless its retirement funds they are investing Wink)

No, if anything, the people who think an ETF is a good idea are hilarious. Or, they would be if they weren't so stupid. Why do you need a couple of carnival-head-sized spoiled Winklebrats to buy bitcoins for you? why do you trust them more with your money than you trust yourself? Because they're in the news?  Huh Why would you completely nullify the entire reason of having bitcoins by buying them through an ETF?

Strictly put: You're 'tarded.

If you are referring to me, I would only purchase shares if I wanted to invest in bitcoin with some of my 401k/roth funds. Otherwise I would secure my own coins, as i have spent countless hours learning about bitcoin and feel confident creating an offline wallet. Most people have no interest in diligently sifting/researching through extremely nerdy material for hours and hours in order to safely acquire and store their own coins... And it isn't a bad thing. We just happen to be in a small geeky minority. The ETF is a simply a new option for people. Why does it upset you so much?

Its really not that hard to safely secure coins, and giving them to the Winkle-freaks is hardly safe. Does it upset me that people think that handing off their coins to these guys is a smart thing? not at all. Does it bother me that I have to share the earth with total morons? - a little.

I'm grumpy!!
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 06:37:03 PM

Its really not that hard to safely secure coins, and giving them to the Winkle-freaks is hardly safe. Does it upset me that people think that handing off their coins to these guys is a smart thing? not at all. Does it bother me that I have to share the earth with total morons? - a little.

Mangling somebodies name is not a good way to make an argument once you get past first grade.

Nobody is asking anybody to hand bitcoins into this, they are asking for dollar investments. Totally different.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  All
  Print  

Jump to: